Thread: Thinking of a change

Hybrid View

Thinking of a change

I'm just not sure I want to keep my weight up and chase after big numbers right now. I have lost 17 lbs so far this year and feel great. I'm just on such a good track. I am thinking about taking another 25 off and getting down to 250. I'm getting older, 43, and am really starting to focus on health. Kind of torn right now. I don't plan on leaving powerlifting any time soon. Just not sure what I want out of it right now.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I'm just not sure I want to keep my weight up and chase after big numbers right now. I have lost 17 lbs so far this year and feel great. I'm just on such a good track. I am thinking about taking another 25 off and getting down to 250. I'm getting older, 43, and am really starting to focus on health. Kind of torn right now. I don't plan on leaving powerlifting any time soon. Just not sure what I want out of it right now.
    While it doesn't fit into the whole lift the most weight mindset, there are always pr's to be chased at lower weight classes. Those are still pr's.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I agree with Joey.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I lost weight and never regretted it. Now I play with dieting and going to lighter weight classes. Its tough to get weaker at first but eventually you get used to it and the big picture sets in. I felt more proud of my self making the 231 class for last years ARNOLD then I did when i went 2605 MP or 2000 raw.

I miss being 300 and crushing weights. Especially on the bench. But I also love being able to play with my kids without sweating or getting a nose bleed LOL.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Go for it. That's why they have different weight classes.

250 ain't as bad as you think. I'm usually sitting right around 250-260. Nothing ever says you have to be a SHW to hit big numbers. There will be a strength drop as you hit that weight, but after you adjust to the new leverages, there is no doubt in my mind you could hit the numbers you are after. It just takes longer.

I work out in the woods about 45hrs a week and there is just no way I could be 300+lbs and be able to maintain that work load in addition to running my gym. Yeah it's taken me longer to reach the levels I want to be at but I'm ok with that. I'm never one to get in a hurry anyways.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    250 ain't as bad as you think. I'm usually sitting right around 250-260. Nothing ever says you have to be a SHW to hit big numbers. There will be a strength drop as you hit that weight, but after you adjust to the new leverages, there is no doubt in my mind you could hit the numbers you are after. It just takes longer.

I work out in the woods about 45hrs a week and there is just no way I could be 300+lbs and be able to maintain that work load in addition to running my gym. Yeah it's taken me longer to reach the levels I want to be at but I'm ok with that. I'm never one to get in a hurry anyways.
    What are you doing in the woods travis?
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

Logger. I fall and buck trees, and then haul them out to a logging road most of the time by hand. Do that from 6:30-12:45 every day (except wednsdays haha) and then run the gym from there until 7ish at night working with the athletes.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    You're short enough to be a lean 242..... why not just chase those records for a while?
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Thx guys. Giving myself a little time to figure things out. Just going to keep training for now and let the decision come to me.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Go upto 400lbs, you'll have a 2"rom and the kids can roll you around in the park.

Vin, I'm not far behind you and know exactly what's going on in your head. I weighed in at 405 this last bench meet. I felt like SHIT. Strong as hell, but lethargic and awful. Everyday I say it needs to change. I have a 2 year old son and 3 month old daughter that I'd like to be around for. I'd love to be able to throw a ball again, to get up and down off the floor to play, to run around outside. At the same time, there are still plenty of numbers I'm chasing and plenty of goals I still feel I need to hit. It's an impossible choice. However, in the end, I hope you allow your health to win. You've already demonstrated the ability to be a monster regardless of the weight class you're in. You drive, determination, and will power have been displayed time after time. You can accomplish anything. Take the health route and run with it. Like others have said, you can still hit your goals.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

I was in the same boat as you in November and December, Vincent. I always maintained at the top of the 275 class and strong as an ox, never really obese but not agile by any means and honestly had trouble tying my shoes at times, BP stayed a shade high and got winded pretty easily like you describe. After the meets I had in Nov and Dec I stopped and took a step back and realized that I had far exceeded the goals I put for myself several years back as 'lifetime goals'. Then I decided I wanted to be 'fit' once in my life. I had nothing else to prove strength-wise. So in January I started cleaning up my diet and getting strict, even doing some light cardio. So far I am down from low 270's in December to low 250's in mid March, about 20 pounds in 3 months. For the first time in a long time I can see abs. I envision being low teens BF at mid-230's by June, so that is what I'm shooting for short term. So far my strength losses have been pretty minimal, can still bench over 500 for reps and my deadlift is actually the same or a little better likely due to increased mobility at a lighter weight. I'm going to see where this road takes me. I might do a meet later this year but never plan on quitting PL altogether, it's a way of life for me.
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

Thx guys. Fortunately, according to my last dr visit and bloodwork, I am very healthy (still want to get a stress test, have no symptoms to do so, just think it's a good idea at my age and size). I am about 17 lbs lighter than usual and do feel good. Considering I feel good and everything is ok, I am going to allow myself to be a 275'er for the rest of 2013, but no longer than that. 2014 will be the year of 242 or 220.

In my mind, I keep going back to hanging out with Wendler a few weeks ago discussing this. He said you have the rest of your life to get lighter, there's only a finite time to chase that 600 at 275. I think I'd regret not chasing it for a little while longer.

In the meantime, I will not allow my weight to get over 279. I will continue to keep up my conditioning. I will try to be in the best shape that I can be at this weight.

Thanks for the support everyone. I hope you all yell at me if I am not getting my big butt down to the 242's or lighter in 2014.

Good luck Vinny. Smart choice. Do what feels good.
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

Solid plan Vincent. I got my stress test last year at the age of 46. Its nice to get a baseline sooner rather than later.