The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Bench 500 Advice

Hello All,

I have been a bench only person for quite a while. I have a few "world" records @ 181 and 165 so, i'm no stranger to hard work/training.

I have a goal now to hit 500lb bench. I'm hopeing to not get too big or weigh a lot more. I wouldn't mind hitting 200 but would want to keep it at 190.

I train 3-5 days a week. Chest/full bench/tris M, Legs Tue, Back/Bi's/lats/abs Wed, Rest Thurs, Boards/rack lock outs/heavy tris Fri. Sometimes another back day on Sat.

I have done West side barbell, 5/3/1, 6 sets of 3's, 10 sets of 2's.

I usually alternate every 2 months with West side and a variation of my own routine.

Stats are 5'8 180 benching 405-435 weekly. Decline 465. Incline 245 (never tried for much).

Diet is 60% pro 20% carb 20% fats or 40% pro 30% carb 30% fat. 3-4k calories.
    3 (40-60) shakes on workout days, 2 (40-60)on off days, on creatine mono and take a mult vit.

Work outs only last about 60-90 min. I'm not that sore usually, unless I really pump it and do a good 90 min routine. I have involved some deadlifts and squats ( I went from 185 sq to 315 and no effect on bench) (I went from 225 deadlift to 405 with no effect on bench). So, now I just don't do those so much anymore.

What am I missing? I've been about the same for over a year.

TL DR
    I feel I have a solid workout and diet and stuck at 405-435 bench, how do I get to 500?

Thanks in advance. I know there is some expert out there to shine some light.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The easiest and fastest way? Go to 200 and watch your bench go up 30lbs.

Long run, it sounds like you are all over the place with your training. You need to find an effective way of training and stick to it for about a year.

This may sound odd coming from a fellow bench only guy, but you really need to stick with the squatting and deadlifting. Having strong legs does help with a big bench from the standpoint of building a solid platform on the bench.

But I really feel it keeps you focused throughout the week on training. I'd go nuts if I only trained 2 or 3 times a week. A 315 squat really isn't a solid squat to base your decision on of whether or not squatting helps you. Neither is a 405 pull.

Westside is a super solid program - but I'll say that because I train there. However it does really help the program if you have training partners. It took me from a 365 raw bench to 575lbs.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Long run, it sounds like you are all over the place with your training. You need to find an effective way of training and stick to it for about a year.
    I thought you were supposed to change every 2-4 weeks? Or is that more of a bodybuilding thing? I did West Side for about 3 months and saw no improvment (maybe I was doing it wrong, no trainers).

crazy strength, btw!
    Thanks!

A 315 squat really isn't a solid squat to base your decision on of whether or not squatting helps you. Neither is a 405 pull.
    That puts me at almost a 1200 total score. I'm pretty sure thats high for a bench only person @ 180.

Wannabebig Member
    And all my lifts are raw and drug free.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo0450 View Post
    And all my lifts are raw and drug free.
    Obviously I also compete in gear but I've always been drug free. That excuse makes no difference for me. You are either strong or you aren't.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Obviously I also compete in gear but I've always been drug free. That excuse makes no difference for me. You are either strong or you aren't.
    Understood. Some care, some don't. I have used gear before. I had too small a shirt tho and it ripped my arms open (slight gashes on my tri's), but no pain no gain.

Holy shit 575 drug free that's nuts.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

I'm just curious...why do you choose to be drug free???
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

crazy strength, btw!

build some more muscle. get up to around 210 with a decent bodyfat %

right now im 80kg and pull around 225kg, i want to be able to pull 300kg, so i know i need to weight about 100kg to do so...but hopefully less since im so damn short.

i obviously dont need to talk about programming or ask to see a video of your bench. not with those kinda numbers!!

im sure Vinny D and Travis will chime in on this anyway
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

I'm going to be no help, but damn that's a big bench! Do you mind if I ask why bench only?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big ragu View Post
    I'm going to be no help, but damn that's a big bench! Do you mind if I ask why bench only?
    My trainer I had was that for years (he was in his 70's when he met me). I guess it kind of just stuck. I really never got that into dealifting or squats.

Adding 10 - 20 pounds will obviously help. I will say however, bench is the only lift that I can make solid progress on without gaining any weight.

Listen to Travis's advice. He's one of the top benchers on this board.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

How many guys are there right now that are under 200 lbs and can bench over 500 lbs raw? I think that's your answer.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron