The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Its good stuff. Very controversal around here but no one has the credentials of Kiefer so i just blow that off. I lost about 25 pounds doing CBL with no muscle loss and VERY little strength loss. My bench actually went up.

Theres two crowds with this shit. The calorie is a calorie just go on a deficit crowd, and the marco manipulation crowd. But lets be honest, deficit and calorie counting blows, so lets just eat bacon and eggs and get jacked.
    2000 or bust

Well I've been as heavy as 300 in past years and weak as fuck. I decided that wasn't working for me and that's when I discovered weight lifting, running and dieting. Through dumb luck I got down to 220. Then bounced around back and forth. I've done keto diets and got pretty lean, carb cycling, etc. the problem I've always ran into is when I'd get lean I'd get weak. The heavier I get, the stronger. But stronger and heavier includes fatter. My bf% seems pretty high right now. This back loading thing might be the ticket I've been looking for. I love proteins and fats, and I still get to eat the carbs I love!

I'm gonna research it out and give it a go at some point. Thanks a lot for your input!
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

4-19-13
    I love Friday. Gotta be the best day of the week. Woke up really tired today, shoulders were sore. Felt good though, around 10am I hit the gym.
    Deadlift:
    Warm ups
    305X5
    345X3
    385X4
    Accessory:
    Barbell rows-135X15X5
    Preacher Curl-55X20X5
    Thoughts:
    Interesting workout. I walked in the gym in pain, my knee is giving me fits. It's cracking and making all sorts of noise, swollen, and just plain hurts. I was thinking I'd get more reps on my 385, but 4 was it. I was wrecked. When I walked in there was a guy working out that I hadn't seen before. He was in all sorts of gear, and I didn't pay a ton of attention to him. So anyway, I just finished deadlifting, when I realize he's also deadlifting. I look over, he's got 4 plates per side and putting them up with ease. Hmmm.....now 5 plates, easy. Now 6 plates, for 3 reps. Seriously? Now I'm REALLY feeling like a little bitch. I said to him "Impressive lifts man!". His reply? "Nice artwork". Damn, as if I didn't feel like a bitch already, all he had nice to say is I have nice tattoos! Anyway, started talking to him, his first comp was when he was 14! He's 41 now, and definitely strong as shit. I was stoked to find an actual powerlifter in my gym, until he said he's only in NY to commentate a logging competition. He's from WV. Figures. So there's still nobody here to learn from but talking to dude definitely motivated me.
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

4-22-13
    Had a good weekend, just in quite a bit of pain knee wise. Woke up feeling great, decided to squat today since I'm gonna have the knee fixed tomorrow. This is technically week 4 of the 5/3/1 so it looks like the weights are pretty light.
    Squats:
    Plenty of warm ups
    145X5
    180X5
    220X5
    Accessory:
    Hammer Curls-30X15X5
    Seated overhead press-95X15X5
    Pullups-BWX5X5
    Thoughts:
    The knee is buggin the fuck out of me. Walking sucks, lifting sucks, it all sucks. 7am tomorrow they're fixing it. I have no idea what that'll mean to my lifting, how light I'll have to go and for how long. Just gonna play it by ear I guess.

Okay, its a bit late for this, but why not TEST your maxes for a program instead ov guessing? A lot ov evil can come from guessing at this crucial point... Guess too heavy and it could be overtraining city. Guess like a hero and it could be injury city. Guess too light and nothing happens. Its way too easy to just go into the gym on a fresh day, on a fresh week, and rip off a little 'mini competition'... squat to a max, then bench to a max, then deadlift to a max. You should have energy left to do a press max too. I do this to EVERY new client i get, and i dont care if they've lifted a barbell before. If they can demonstrate good enough form, they're showing me EXACTLY what they can do within the first 2 weeks. THEN i have the data i need to design a proper program.

For finding a max to plug into a program, you dont even have to go to all-out max on the lifts. IF you know yourself, you can pull say, 405 and guess with some authority that you could get 440 if you went all-out. Thats what i usually do with clients... i need only get close to their max and can always figure their max. You might actually have to do them, but either way can work.

And dont let anyone tell you that this program is too much on the CNS. Lifters from other continents laugh at our 'less is more' mentality and work ethic when it comes to barbell work... The human body can get used to ANYTHING... If you start on a light program you'll get used to that and it will remain your yardstick. If you start training like a weightlifter under a sadistic coach you'll get used to that just as easy... Perspective is everything.
    Last edited by Judas; 04-23-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Judas, first let me say I appreciate you taking the time to look at my log. I've been following yours and I'm amazed at both your workload and the amount of weight that you move. It's a straight up inspiration.

I only guessed at one lift, and I don't really know why I did that. I've just never maxed on the overhead press and I guess I should have. I also know that I could have guessed much better given the fact that my seated overhead dumbbell press is over 200, it stands to reason that my standing barbell press would be something similar.

With all that said, help a brother out! Talk to me, tell me what you would change, tell me what I'm doing right, if anything, what I'm doing wrong, etc. I'm new to this man, I will take real critisicm and put it to work. I have goals shooting for and I'd like all the help I can get to achieve them. I've got no problem stepping up the workload if that'll help. Don't leave me hangin bro, point me in the path of gnarlyness!!!!

Side note, currently laying on the couch with my knee all wrapped up. Surgery went well, I have no idea how to proceed in regards to lifting. If anyone has some input, it'd be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by big ragu; 04-23-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by big ragu View Post
    Judas, first let me say I appreciate you taking the time to look at my log. I've been following yours and I'm amazed at both your workload and the amount of weight that you move. It's a straight up inspiration.

I only guessed at one lift, and I don't really know why I did that. I've just never maxed on the overhead press and I guess I should have. I also know that I could have guessed much better given the fact that my seated overhead dumbbell press is over 200, it stands to reason that my standing barbell press would be something similar.
    To me a military press is but ONE thing... standing full ROM from chest to lock, with a barbell. Honestly i dont know why anyone but bodybuilders do any other style. Standing barbell press is one ov the original manly lifts, and it is a daily-life-useful lift... unlike everyone's favorite... bench.

Also, a word on bench. Long arms are not the great evil for bench most think. Sure, a leverage disadvantage, but not insurmountable (plus... i'd rather have a shit bench than a shit deadlift). I have very long arms, i was told by numerous vets and experts i'd maybe get to 315 someday, but probably never 405. Took me exactly 5 years (to the day) to get from my day-1 195lbs to 405, and six to get from a strict 175lbs to 452lbs. I just had to change the way i bench, the way i set up, and REALLY become a technician, basically, growing into better levers (add chest) and shrinking the ROM (killer set-up).

With all that said, help a brother out! Talk to me, tell me what you would change, tell me what I'm doing right, if anything, what I'm doing wrong, etc. I'm new to this man, I will take real critisicm and put it to work. I have goals shooting for and I'd like all the help I can get to achieve them. I've got no problem stepping up the workload if that'll help. Don't leave me hangin bro, point me in the path of gnarlyness!!!!
    I cant really comment on 5/3/1 as i know many people doing good things on it. But to ME... it just doesn't seem like much work at all. I'd be bored outta my tree doing that program, but then i'm a junkie workaholic. I eat Russian programs for breakfast. I dont know anything about that program.

I will say this though, maybe it applies. I've never 'just' benched. From day one i've powerbuilded... and if i had to be utterly honest, much ov the time more bodybuilding than powerlifting. For the leverage-disadvantaged like me, i had to build up my levers, and basically ad a LOT ov size to get my bench up. I started with a 195 bench at 180, hit 275 at 198 (8 months), 385 at 220 (about 4 years - 22 more pounds ov LBM helps!), 415 at 231 (5 years), and finally 465 at 242 six years later. Had i stayed at 198 i'd be benching WAY less than i am now, even 220 was limiting it seems. Chest, delts, upper back, arms... it all helps. Mass moves weight. What i tell people is that you are either a bench-freak and are pushing double-bodyweight in high school, or like the rest ov us you aren't and have to bloody work for it.

The point is, if the program has you bench, and maybe press, then you need to add assistance. Press and bench can easily be done on the same day PLUS assistance, though again, i dont know if this would mess with the program.

Side note, currently laying on the couch with my knee all wrapped up. Surgery went well, I have no idea how to proceed in regards to lifting. If anyone has some input, it'd be greatly appreciated.
    Your doc should be the first person to ask. He'll know how long to stay off it. Just dont be an idiot and come back hard before its ready. The ONLY thing worse than a crippling injury is re-injuring yourself worse by coming back hard too soon.

Again man, thanks for the input. I'm looking for motivation wherever I can find it. I'm new to lifting for strength. It's always been about trying to lose fat, get in shape, etc. And I haven't been at it long. I'm gonna be 36 soon, I don't have 20 years of lifting under my belt. I've been at it for a couple years, and this is the first powerlifting program I've done. I asked what others opinion was as to what I should do, and the 5,3,1 is the only one that was brought up. I'm sure westside is a great program, bit I think it's more advanced for me right now.

I don't have a coach, a trainer, or anyone to even lift with. I go to a small gym that has a nice selection of equipment but no members that are into it for powerlifting purposes. Like I said in an earlier post I met a guy from out of state that was heavy into it and was very disappointed to find he was just visiting. I could only imagine what I can learn from him. I have to rely on forums like this, it's really all I have. If you have anything that can help, I'm more than happy to learn. The couple weeks I've been at this program has been the most fun I've had so far since I've started exercising. I can only imagine how great it must be to pull 700lbs, or squat 700. Hell, I will be elated to bench 350!!! And I will. I know that's not some huge number to most of you, but it's my goal right now.

Tomorrow I'm heading back to the gym for bench day. I'm sure I can still bench and press, depending on how I feel I may or may not deadlift on Saturday. It'll be very light weight I'm sure.
    Last edited by big ragu; 04-24-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Again man, thanks for the input. I'm looking for motivation wherever I can find it. I'm new to lifting for strength. It's always been about trying to lose fat, get in shape, etc. And I haven't been at it long. I'm gonna be 36 soon, I don't have 20 years of lifting under my belt. I've been at it for a couple years, and this is the first powerlifting program I've done. I asked what others opinion was as to what I should do, and the 5,3,1 is the only one that was brought up. I'm sure westside is a great program, bit I think it's more advanced for me right now.
    I'll get torn a new asshole for saying this here, but i definitely would not recommend WSB for powerlifting or powerbuilding. There are many good programs out there. You've chosen 5/3/1, which is by all accounts a good one, so stick with it for a while. Thats a big lesson most starting, or even intermediate strength trainers need to learn... pick something and stick with it. Long enough to see if it works anyways.

I don't have a coach, a trainer, or anyone to even lift with. I go to a small gym that has a nice selection of equipment but no members that are into it for powerlifting purposes. Like I said in an earlier post I met a guy from out of state that was heavy into it and was very disappointed to find he was just visiting. I could only imagine what I can learn from him. I have to rely on forums like this, it's really all I have. If you have anything that can help, I'm more than happy to learn. The couple weeks I've been at this program has been the most fun I've had so far since I've started exercising. I can only imagine how great it must be to pull 700lbs, or squat 700. Hell, I will be elated to bench 350!!! And I will. I know that's not some huge number to most of you, but it's my goal right now.

Tomorrow I'm heading back to the gym for bench day. I'm sure I can still bench and press, depending on how I feel I may or may not deadlift on Saturday. It'll be very light weight I'm sure.
    I had a good trainer for my first 3 months... then i've been on my own ever since. I've learned more off ov forums than anywhere else... though my bullshit-filter is top-notch and set on 'kill'. Dont feel bad about training partners either. I'm one ov those guys that thrive off ov competition, and i've been alone in the gym since day two. I've had lots ov guys to train with, and train, but never anyone near my level. I hate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    I'll get torn a new asshole for saying this here, but i definitely would not recommend WSB for powerlifting or powerbuilding. There are many good programs out there. You've chosen 5/3/1, which is by all accounts a good one, so stick with it for a while. Thats a big lesson most starting, or even intermediate strength trainers need to learn... pick something and stick with it. Long enough to see if it works anyways.
    I've chosen to give it 6 months. The downside to that is I'm now finishing up my 4th week, and I'm set back with this surgery. My bench and military will continue as planned, squat and deads will now fall far behind. I want a 500lb squat, I want a bigger dead, but who knows where I'll be at the end of the 6 months.

I had a good trainer for my first 3 months... then i've been on my own ever since. I've learned more off ov forums than anywhere else... though my bullshit-filter is top-notch and set on 'kill'. Dont feel bad about training partners either. I'm one ov those guys that thrive off ov competition, and i've been alone in the gym since day two. I've had lots ov guys to train with, and train, but never anyone near my level. I hate that.
    That's what I like, the competition. I like the push that working with others gives. I did a bullshit bench comp at my gym (trust me, it's not anything close to what anyone on this site is doing as far as competitions go), and I really liked laying on the bench with a bunch of people standing around cheering you on. If I can improve my lifts substantially, I'll maybe do a comp. But not until I'm comfortable with what I can move. Just to give you an idea of what kind of people are at my gym, it's rare that I see people lifting as much as I do, and you can see from my log that I don't move much. So to be able to learn from anyone there is out of the question.

4-25-13
    Went to work today, took one day off from surgery. My doctor would be pissed if he knew I was working, but frankly I'm not getting paid to sit at home and with a baby on the way that just won't do. I feel ok, the vicodin is making me kinda sick but whatever. Went in early since I am now a couple days behind, and I thought I'd be able to spend a good portion of my day at my desk. That has NOT been the case. I went to the gym and benched, according to the program this week is light. So here it is:
    Bench Press:
    Plenty of warm ups
    115X5
    140X5
    170X25
    Accessory:
    Flys-60X15X5
    Close Grip Bench-135X15X5
    Thoughts:
    So I guess I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to keep the last set of bench at 5 reps, or go all out like the other 3 weeks. I chose to go all out and got 25 reps. Felt really good, hit the flys which finished setting my chest on fire. I left the gym feeling like Arnold, only with a pimp limp. The knee is feeling ok, I want to see how the rest of the week goes and I may start some light squats next week. I'd also like to get on the treadmill and do some jogging. Gonna play it by ear for now, if it feels good I'll go for it.

4-26-13
    Military Press:
    Warm ups
    60X5
    70X5
    80X25
    Accessory:
    Shrugs-225X15X5
    Incline Bench-135X15X5
    Pull up-BWX5X5
    Thoughts:
    Fri the knee was feeling OK, not great. The workout went well, felt great afterwards. I missed back this week but that's ok. I woke up Saturday completely drained, I probably shouldn't have pushed so hard with work and whatever right after surgery but I rested most of Sunday. Feeling pretty good today, we'll see how today's workout goes. 5-3-1 month number 2 starts today!

Hey bud, good luck with the 5/3/1.

On the final all-out set, when I was doing it I was told to keep a coupla reps in the tank, ie when you think you'll fail in the next one or two reps, end it there.

That said, if you're getting 25 reps, I'd say you've picked a max that's a bit low for you, haha!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by GazzyG View Post
    Hey bud, good luck with the 5/3/1.

On the final all-out set, when I was doing it I was told to keep a coupla reps in the tank, ie when you think you'll fail in the next one or two reps, end it there.

That said, if you're getting 25 reps, I'd say you've picked a max that's a bit low for you, haha!
    Lol! I'm using a program on my iphone that figures the weights out for me. On week four, it's a deload week, at 60% of your max. Where I did fuck up, however, is on week 4 I wasn't supposed to go for max reps. I was supposed to stick to 5 reps, not 25. I should have looked through the book and read that first but I neglected to. Last week was week 4, so that's why the weight is low, and the reps are high.

Aha! Well... that would explain that then!

DL205(451) | 220(484)

4-29-13
    Ah....Monday. Fuck Mondays. I hate em. Had to be up early for a job I had to do, slept pretty good. Felt good when I got up, knee was feeling decent. Hit the gym around 10am
    Bench Press
    Plenty of warm ups
    185X5
    215X5
    245X10
    Accessory:
    Flys-60X15X3
    Tricep pushdown-100X15X3
    Not a ton of time today, however it was a good workout. I was very happy to get 10 reps at 245. I had a grip issue, my hands were sliding on the bar but I got through it. Chest feels really good, triceps got a good burn. Tomorrow is supposed to be squat day, and I feel good enough today to attempt it. There won't be a lot of reps, and if there's any problems I'll shut it down, but I'm gonna attempt it.

4-30-13
    Went to sleep REALLY late last night. My girlfriend was pretty miserable (she's pregnant) all night and kept me up. She's doing all the hard work, the least I can do is be supportive and try to make her life a little easier. On top of that my dog decided that she was going to sleep ON me which was pretty damn uncomfortable. All together I probably seen 4 hours sleep, about half of what I normally get. I bought a big ass redbull on my way in and I'll probably buy another one on my way out. Pretty stoked, today we have an ultrasound, get to see the kid. I guess it's 3d? I don't know, this is my first and last kid so it's all new to me. Anyway, I chose to squat today.
    Squats:
    Lots of warm ups
    245X5
    280X5
    315X5
    Accessory:
    Close grip bench-135X15X5
    Hammer Curls-25X20X5
    Thoughts:
    Ok, in theory squatting was not a good idea. I certainly wasn't supposed to, but it was highly successful. There was very little pain, last week was much worse. I hit 5, could have done far more but I thought it'd be better to be safe. I'm very happy with how it went, maybe I'll pay for it tomorrow. Who knows. All in all, a great workout.

5-02-13
    Been kinda fucked up since Tues afternoon. I'm allergic to latex, and I had a reaction tuesday night. Sends me in anaphylactic shock. I don't have a pen to stab myself with so I had to suffer all night. I still don't feel right but whatever. My knee was ok yesterday and it's pretty good today. Sore, swollen, and it's fuckin up the stitches but the pain is minimal.
    Press:
    Warm ups
    95X5
    110X5
    125X17
    Accessory:Shrugs-225X15X3
    Bench Press-135X20X3
    Thoughts:
    Ok so I think I've been limiting myself by thinking about the last set too much. I went into today hoping to get 20, that seemed like a ridiculous number and yet I still managed 17. I think if I stopped and took a breather I could have squeezed one or two more out but I'm happy with 17. I feel good, just didn't have much time today. Tomorrow's deadlift day, one of my favorites. We'll see how the knee puts up with it.
    Last edited by big ragu; 05-03-2013 at 07:29 AM.

5-02-13
    Benn kinda fucked up since Tues afternoon. I'm allergic to latex, and I had a reaction tuesday night. Sends me in anaphylactic shock. I don't have a pen to stab myself with so I had to suffer all night. I still don't feel right but whatever. My knee was ok yesterday and it's pretty good today. Sore, swollen, and it's fuckin up the stitches but the pain is minimal.
    Nothing wrong with kinky sex... but dont let it mess with your training.

Nothing wrong with kinky sex... but dont let it mess with your training.
    HA! Yeah, I tend to forget that I have that allergy. Gets worse every fuckin time too......

5-03-13
    Woke up feeling pretty normal finally. All morning I've felt great, other than the fact that I spent 3 hours bent over in one position repairing a machine. Took a toll on my back which sucks since it's deads day.
    Deadlifts:
    Warm ups........................
    270X5
    310X5
    350X10
    That's it.....
    Nothing about this workout went well. I left the gym disgusted. My back is all sorts of screwed up from this mornings breakdown, and it showed in my lifting. To top it off, I didn't wrap my knee, and now I have some serious pain. Something keeps shifting and it is really buggin me. Luckily it's the weekend. I know I've really pushed it too hard this week, with working, squatting and now deadlifting, but it's pissin me off. I just don't do well with injuries. Stupid, I know. I'm just irritated now. I did step on a scale this morning, no idea why, but I weighed 228. I feel 300 though.

5-6-13
    No time today to do shit, got in the gym for 30 mins and only was able to bench.
    Bench:
    Warm Ups
    200X3
    230X3
    260X8
    Thoughts:
    Today blows, last 2 workouts have been shit. Just didn't have time today, and that's quite disappointing.

5-7-13
    Squat day. My knees been feeling ok, there's some weird popping going on that hurts like hell. I seen the doc earlier, he said if there's still an issue he will give me a lubrication injection? Weird. Anyway, he says no squatting for another 2 weeks, but I did it last week so I promptly left the docs and hit the gym.
    Squats:
    260X3
    300X3
    335X3
    Accessory:
    Flys-60X15X5
    That was it. With the appointment I didn't have a lot of time. The knee still felt fine and 335 was not bad. I had more in me but stopped at 3.

5-9-13
    Press:
    Warm Ups
    105X3
    120X3
    135X16
    Accessory:
    Shrugs-225X15X5
    Upright Rows-70X12X5
    Thoughts:
    This was a much better work out. Everything felt good and I had plenty of time. The knee is feeling better everyday so I'm happy about that. Starting next week I'm cleaning the diet up, getting too fat. I can hardly stand it.

5-10-13
    Deads:
    Warm Ups
    290X3
    330X3
    375X10
    Bent Barbell Rows-135X12X5
    Thoughts:
    Awesome workout. I was stoked that my knee didn't give me any issues, extra stoked when I ripped a callus off, and even more stoked to pull 375 10 times! I had to regrip every two pulls but my grip strength isn't that great. Overall I was happy. I also recently learned why ever since surgery I have been miserable as fuck and sick. I had an infection in my knee. That much I already knew. What I didn't know was how it was effecting me. Now that it's healing I feel awesome again. Now I gotta do something about this extra 20lbs, and keep my strength up, and life will be great.

Workouts all seem to be on point - even when you're not feeling 100%, you're getting in and getting the main lift done!

Great work on all the big sets - 10x375 is no joke at all!!

DL205(451) | 220(484)