The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks dude! I really appreciate it!
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

5-13-13
    Bench:
    Warm Ups
    215X5
    245X5
    275X5
    Accessory-More Bench!135X15X5
    Run 1 mile
    Thoughts. I wanted more than 5, but it's all I had. Not sure how I feel about it, but better 5 than none! I super-setted the accessory benches with running, 1 set, then run a quarter mile, etc. Felt good, the knee held up just fine. All in all pretty happy. I started a Keto style diet today, and so far so good. I am trying to keep the energy and strength up, hopefully I get it right. I really need to shed 20lbs.
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

5-14-13
    Squats:
    Warm ups
    280X5
    315X3
    355X2
    Accessory:
    Preacher Barbell Curls-65X20X5
    Ran a mile
    Day 2 of the Keto, and squatted. I feel great so far. I have the fats up as was suggested and I have had some post workout simple carbs. I had plenty of energy yesterday and today so far. I know it's early in the diet, but so far I'm happy. I'm not going to turn the cardio up much more, I really just don't have the time. Anyway, I planned to only do one rep at 355 as I'm still trying to be somewhat decent to my knee, but it felt good. The one draw back is I'm not going full depth. I get almost parallel but not quite. I don't know if at my height I should be anyway. I go as deep as I can, and fuck it the dude next me had 225 on the bar and barely bent his knees. As long as I got someone beat I'm ok.

5-16-13
    Press:
    Warm Ups
    110X5
    125X3
    140X15
    Shrugs-225X15X5
    Ran a mile
    Thoughts:
    Stepped on the scale, 225. That's a 5lb loss since Monday. I feel pretty good, seemed to have plenty of energy and strength wasn't bad. I'm wondering what it would be like to run the Keto every other week. I may experiment with it for a month and see how that goes.

5-17-13
    Deadlift
    Warm Ups
    310X5
    350X5
    395X1??
    Barbell Rows-135X15X5
    Ran 1 mile
    Thoughts:
    I fuckin sabotaged this workout without even realizing it. So Fri was a "no work" day at work. Basically, it was a 4 hour meeting, followed by 4 hours of seminars after lunch. Normally I break away from work around 10am and lift. I generally don't eat much before this, usually a light breakfast, a snack around 8, then lift. Well Fri I wasn't able to lift until after work. To top that off, my girlfriend met me for lunch and we went to a diner across the street. I ate way too much, and when I finally got to the gym it did not go well. I warmed up, everything was ok. I threw the belt on, grabbed the bar at 310, and everything felt wrong. It felt like everything I ate was trying to make a re-appearance. I got threw that set, went up to 350, same shit. I had a really bad feeling about 395, as I pulled the first rep all hell broke loose in my stomach and I dropped the bar and ran for a garbage can. Totally ruined my workout, irritated the shit out of me.

Also, I had to give up on the no carbs deal. I just don't like the way I feel, so fuck it. I'll figure something else out, or just do a proper diet.

5-20-13
    Bench
    Warm up
    115X5
    145X5
    175X5
    315X1
    Accessory-More bench, 135X15X5
    Thoughts:
    Today's been a busy one, and I don't have a whole lot of time. So I just stayed under the bench the whole time. It's week 4, so that means it's a light week. I threw a couple plates on to see if I could still do 315, and I was successful. Not OVERLY successful though, like I doubt there was much more, if any. I may take this week to assess my strength, see how squats go tomorrow. Overall I'm happy with the program. I think it would have been awesome to easily put down 315, and get a pr, but time and strength just weren't there. I'm happy and bummed at the same time.

5-21-13
    Squats:
    Warm Ups
    150X5
    185X5
    225X5
    315X1
    405X1
    Accessory:
    Close grip bench-135X15X5
    Standing E-Z Bar Curl-85X15X5
    Thoughts:
    I was quite happy with this workout. To be 3 or so weeks past surgery, and be able to painlessly squat 405 is a big win in my book. Was there more in the tank? Absolutely. Did I want to push it? Absolutely not, so I shut it down at 405. Like bench day, this ties my heaviest squat. It was hot as balls in the gym, but I left quite happy with my results.
    Last edited by big ragu; 05-21-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Big squats, damn right to be happy. Also right not to push it for more!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Thanks man! I typed it wrong, I did 315 once and 405 once, not 5. But I was still happy!

5-23-13
    Press:
    Warm up
    60X5
    75X5
    90X5
    Can't remember the weights, but worked up to 205X1
    Accessory:
    Shrugs-225X15X5
    Thoughts:
    I enjoyed this workout, everything went well. The only bad part was the worlds biggest douchebag was working out and I swear this fucker can't move without making all sorts of stupid, insanely loud grunts and slamming weights, etc. I cannot stand when this dude is in the gym.

5-24-13
    Deadlift:
    Warm Up:
    165X5
    205X5
    250X5
    315X1
    405X1
    455X1
    Accessory:
    Bent over barbell rows-135X15X5
    Pull Ups-BWX5X5
    Thoughts:
    Been watching some youtube deadlifting which made me think I could possible use some form help. So during this workout i spent a bit of time focusing on my form. I know I've been guilty of rounding my back and I tried like hell to minimize it. Seemed to work out pretty well. I'm happy, however I don't believe I could have pulled much more than the 455.

5-28-13
    Bench:
    Warm Ups
    190X5
    220X5
    250X12
    Accessory:
    Dumbell Fly-50X15X5
    Thoughts:
    Felt pretty good going into the gym, and was shocked to lift 250 for 12. I was hoping for 10, the 12 was a very nice surprise. Time is starting to become rare, between building a race car, street car, getting ready for the baby, and working 55 plus hours a week. I'm disappointed to only do a main lift and one accessory exercise, but I guess it's better than eating donuts and not lifting at all. All in all, VERY happy with this workout.

Lot of demands on your time there. As long as you get the main lift in, any accessories are a bonus, bud.

What kinda cars you working on?

DL205(451) | 220(484)

Just doesn't seem like much, you know? I'd like to get at least two accessory lifts in.

I have a rear engine dragster I'm switching out the fuel system on, so that's been taking time. I'm also building a 62 BelAir, air bagged, fresh paint and body work.
    Last edited by big ragu; 05-30-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Squats:
    250X5
    285X5
    325X8
    Thoughts:
    No fuckin time at all today. Works been out of control, it's so busy it isn't even funny. Squats felt good, I'm easing into them. I think the knee is going to be fine.

Heh... i didn't know you built cars. I was a hotrod-punk long before i ever touched a barbell. That was all i did. Build and 'race' muscle cars and all the associated illegal fun stuff that comes with. That could be the one and only thing that could haul my ass out ov the gym for any real amount ov time... if the street racing scene ever started up again.

Yeah man, I'm a big time gear head. Right now in the stable is a dragster, 62 Chevy, 72 Chevy, a motorcycle and an S-10 project. Been racing since I was a kid. I've had to lay off the street shit though, I've lost my license too many times. I lost track of the thousands and thousands of dollars I've spent in fines. Been arrested for speed and unlicensed shit more than once. I try to keep it on the track now, the only problem with that is I always want to go faster. Right now I should be 7.85 at 165mph through the quarter mile. In a couple years I'll build a car that'll certify faster, and shoot for the 6's.

5-30-13
    Press:
    100X5
    115X5
    130X12

Thoughts:
    I had some shoulder pain so I stopped at 12. I also did a bunch of accessory stuff, but I didn't record the weights. I did bench, shrugs, bicep curls.

5-31-13
    Deadlift:
    275x5
    315x5
    360x12
    Thoughts:
    Everything went well, I concentrated on my form and it seemed to work well. I'm discouraged that I don't have more time to work out, I really need life to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by big ragu View Post
    Yeah man, I'm a big time gear head. Right now in the stable is a dragster, 62 Chevy, 72 Chevy, a motorcycle and an S-10 project. Been racing since I was a kid. I've had to lay off the street shit though, I've lost my license too many times. I lost track of the thousands and thousands of dollars I've spent in fines. Been arrested for speed and unlicensed shit more than once. I try to keep it on the track now, the only problem with that is I always want to go faster. Right now I should be 7.85 at 165mph through the quarter mile. In a couple years I'll build a car that'll certify faster, and shoot for the 6's.
    Sorry about the Chevy affliction... hahahaha

But nice. Very good friend ov mine's daily driver (literally), is a 60 Chevy with a straight-axle front end, 327 and dual Q-jets... on a tunnel ram. He'd have the new engine in and racing this year but he bought a dreamy 67 Riviera i found (that I wanted... the fucker... hahah) that has taken over his life. I love those 67-69 Rivs... if i was a GM guy i'd have one in my driveway right now... right beside a 70 'Firebird with a 500 Caddy and a stick in it.

My driveway is being protected by my two dream-cars... a 70 Challenger (building a T/A road-race car), and THE most hideously evil 68 Caddy hearse that ever collected moss. I daily drive the sketchiest, most rat-bagged and bashed early Pinto you ever saw. Dont even begin to pretend you're not jealous, not everyone can pull off the Pinto dream... That ones getting the 5.0L, 5speed and gears as soon as i'm done playing Cannonball in it...
    Last edited by Judas; 06-02-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Yeah man, all chevy, all the time! The gasser Chevy sounds sweet, I'd like to see it. I really dig Riviera's, that's one I really want in my stable one day. Sounds like you have some pretty cool rides, I picture some Giant crawling out of the Pinto!

All gobbedly-gook to me, I'm afraid; over this side of the pond we know next to nothing about American cars, haha.

See a Charger, a 'Vette or whatever on the roads over here and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Rare as rocking horse poo. But then, no-one can afford to fuel them over here, lol.

DL205(451) | 220(484)

You're missing out gaz! Those cars are very normal here, my dad has owned a few vettes! Fuel here in NY is pretty pricey, but probably not as bad as there. I run methanol in the race car so it's a little cheaper.

6-3-13
    Bench
    205x3
    235x3
    265x9
    Accessory:
    More bench! 135x15x5
    Thoughts:
    Other than some lingering shoulder pain, everything went quite well! I pushed for 10, got 9, and I'm good with that!

Quote Originally Posted by GazzyG View Post
    All gobbedly-gook to me, I'm afraid; over this side of the pond we know next to nothing about American cars, haha.

See a Charger, a 'Vette or whatever on the roads over here and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Rare as rocking horse poo. But then, no-one can afford to fuel them over here, lol.
    If you are talking about new "Chargers" then you have still never seen a Charger. Let me give you a hint: NO Charger EVER came with 4 doors...

Gas is getting pretty gross here too. Cocksuckers in BC are charging $1.50 a liter... Its only $1 a liter 20 miles away (in the US) or one province away (Alberta).

Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    If you are talking about new "Chargers" then you have still never seen a Charger. Let me give you a hint: NO Charger EVER came with 4 doors...

Gas is getting pretty gross here too. Cocksuckers in BC are charging $1.50 a liter... Its only $1 a liter 20 miles away (in the US) or one province away (Alberta).
    ^^This. Unfortunately I have little love for any vehicle that's been produced in the past 40 years. They just aren't the same.....

As for gas, paid $3.61 this morning for 87 in the truck, paid $3.97 a gallon for the bike.