The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Big Ragu's 5/3/1 Journal

3-25-13
    I've never done one of these things so I figured maybe it'll help me hold myself accountable if it's out there on the web. Today I started the 531 program. My goals are to get stronger, plain and simple. I'm new to all of this, so if anyone happens to read this and see something I'm doing wrong, please comment. I'm not dieting, I'm just eating. I'm 6'4, 220lbs. So without further ado, I bring to you, day 1:
    Bench Press:My 1RM is 315.
    Couple warm up sets
    185X5
    210X5
    240X8
    Assistance:
    Flys-50X15, 5 sets
    Dips-Body WeightX50

Thoughts: Going into the workout I wondered how I'd feel afterward. Just didn't seem like a ton of work, so I figured it'd be easy and I'd walk out feeling like I didn't do enough. This was not the case. My chest was swollen when I was done, I felt like I had gotten a hell of a workout. I assume that's due to the high reps of assistance work. Even now, a couple hours later, I'm walking around work feeling like Jay Cutler (if you look at the amount of weight I lifted, you would no that I have no business feeling that way!). I'm looking forward to tomorrow and seeing how that goes.
    Last edited by big ragu; 03-28-2013 at 04:45 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

3-26-13:Slept decent last night, was really tired throughout the night but couldn't fall asleep til about 11. I get up at 5am every day for work so I was a little light on sleep. Chest was a little sore from yesterday but overall I felt great. I hit the gym this morning around 10:45 for Military Press day. I kind of had to guess at my 1RM, as I never really went all out on this lift before. I guessed it somewhere around 160.
    A few warm up sets
    95X5
    110X5
    125X10
    Assistance:
    Shrugs-A few warm up sets, then 2 sets of 225X20. At this point everything was on fire!
    Close Grip Bench-Couple warm ups, then 135X12. Again, everything burning

Thoughts: I am very happy with this program thus far. I leave the gym with a crazy pump, my shoulders and arms felt huge (they aren't). I'm surprised at how beat I am when I walk out, it doesn't seem like a ton of labor but I'm pretty wrecked. I like it. Looking forward to my next workout.
    Last edited by big ragu; 03-27-2013 at 10:48 AM.

3-27-13
    Slept real good last night, felt good all morning. Hit the gym at 11, and did deads. I've pulled 500 before, but it's been a while so I based my max on 450.
    Several warm ups
    265X5
    300X5
    345X7. I feel like I could have done more, but lost my grip at 5, reset, and only got 2 more.
    Assistance:
    Barbell Rows-3 sets of 135X15
    Good Mornings-3 Sets of 95X15

Thoughts:I would have taken today off, but I can't get to the gym Fri so I needed to go today and tomorrow. 2 weeks ago I put on a bullshit belt they had in the gym to try to lift with. I have some kidney/lower back issues unrelated to lifting and I wanted to see if the belt helped. Well it did, but their belt was some velcro piece of shit that kept blowing open. I asked here and looked around and bought an Inzer lever belt. Today's the first time I used it, and I like it. What a quality piece. The only thing I would change is I would use socket head flat head screws instead of slotted. Again, I left the gym wrecked, I feel like I really accomplished something. Makes me think my last program was shit. I'm looking forward to squatting tomorrow in the new belt.

3-28-13
    Woke up sore as hell. Every muscle in my back was sore. It was a good feeling though. I slept great, had about 8 hours sleep.
    Squats:
    Bunch of warm up sets
    235x5
    275x5
    310x6
    Assistance:
    Preacher curls-5 sets of 15
    Dumbbell bench press-5 sets of 15

Thoughts:
    I have a torn meniscus in my right knee which makes squats almost unbearable. It doesn't seem to be the weight that bothers it so much, but the reps. I'll be having surgery to repair it soon (2nd time) so I'm hopeful that my squatting will improve. By rep 3 on the last set I was hurting, and at 6 it felt like there was a knife in it so I shut it down. I definite had more in the tank though. My body feels pretty beat up, I'm looking forward to the long weekend.

WHY DONT U BREAK UP UPPER BODY AND LEG DAYS. START W BENCH, SQUAT, MILITARY, PULL. IT WILL BE MORE REST THAT WAY FOR YOUR MUSCLES

I can do that. I appreciate the info! My whole body is feeling it right now

Rest, If you keep this up at this rate your CNS will be fried by the sounds of it.

Solid numbers thou.......
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Thank you. This is the first week of this kind of program for me, ideally I'd like to do a mon tues, thurs fri split. I knew I wasnt going to be able to train today so I did all 4 in a row. I should have been thinking about squats following deads but I wasn't, I'm glad it was pointed out. If at any point anyone sees me fuckin up, please point it out! And you're right, it took a serious toll on me already. I was pretty dead last night. The 3 days rest will certainly help.
    Again, thanks for looking
    Last edited by big ragu; 03-30-2013 at 08:07 AM.

4-1-13
    The long weekend was great for recuperating. I woke up feeling great, body felt good, no pains, no soreness, etc. Thanks to some suggestions I'll be switching my my training days to Mon Tues, then Thurs Fri. I'll be breaking upper body up with lower. So anyway, today was bench, week two of the 531.
    Bench:
    5 Warm up sets
    200X3
    225X3
    255X6
    Flys:5 sets, 60X12
    BW Dips-5 sets of 10

Thoughts:
    Felt strong today. Everything felt good, the accessory work really set my chest on fire and beat me up. It was a great workout. I ordered some Creatine from ALN, I've never used it so I'm interested in seeing how I react to it. My bench is my weakest lift I feel, I'd love to see it improve. I'm certainly trying!
    Last edited by big ragu; 04-02-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Nice work mate.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Thank you sir!

4-2-13
    Kinda slept like shit. Went to bed early enough, but my fat ass pitbull thinks she's a lap dog and sleeps on the bed with me and my girl. Well she likes to lay right against you, and she moved all night long. I probably woke up 15 times in an 8 hour period. Still felt great when the alarm went off, just a little tired. I haven't had much ambition at work though, luckily it's a slow day and I'm leaving early for an ultra-sound (get to see my future kid). So today is squat day, my least favorite lifting day.....
    Lots of warm up sets (gotta break in the knee)
    255X3
    290X3
    330X4
    Accessory:
    Close grip bench-135X15X5 sets
    Thoughts:
    I didn't have a lot of time today, so I only did the close grip after squatting. I had plenty of strength, but my knee is just not doing well with this. I went down for a 5th rep, and my knee flat out refused. So I hung it up. I feel like if I had a properly working leg I'd be able to lift quite a bit more. I have been fighting with worker's comp to get it fixed, I got the call this morning saying that surgery is approved, looks like the 23rd I'll go back under the knife. I'm glad to have it fixed, but I don't know what that's going to mean for my lifting. I'm sure I can still bench, but I'll have to wait to see what restrictions I come out with. I'm kinda bummed, I just started this program and now I'll have to back off. Anyway, overall it was a good workout, quite a bit of pain in the knee and I feel like puking, but other than that it's great!

Isn't benching so much fun when you're tall?

I wonder how much we'd bench if we were 5'8" instead. We have the same build/same 1rm. Screw trading that height in for a bigger bench though.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 04-03-2013 at 08:28 AM.

I completely agree, a bigger bench would be great but I have no interest in losing my height! I'll be stoked to get to 350, I don't even know if that's going to happen. We gotta push the damn bar so far!
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

Quote Originally Posted by big ragu View Post
    I completely agree, a bigger bench would be great but I have no interest in losing my height! I'll be stoked to get to 350, I don't even know if that's going to happen. We gotta push the damn bar so far!
    I firmly believe 405 is in the grasp of every average, healthy human being. It might take us 10-15 lbs/year but if you stick to it you can eventually get there without having to become 300 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    I firmly believe 405 is in the grasp of every average, healthy human being. It might take us 10-15 lbs/year but if you stick to it you can eventually get there without having to become 300 lbs.
    I do hope you're right. I'd really be happy to push 350 by the end of this year, and I feel that since I haven't ever trained to specifically get stronger I should be able to achieve that. And if I do, 405 will be next on the radar. I've been 300lbs, and I wasn't half as strong as I am now!
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

4-4-13
    I have to get a smaller dog. 2am and she's up and ready to play. 2:30am and I'm out walking this moose for about 45 mins. I gotta buy a house and sell the condo so I can have a yard to send her out to. When I got back up at 5 for work I felt pretty good. The first half hour at work went fine, then all hell broke loose. At 11 I said fuck all this and bounced to the gym. I needed that workout, the people I work with were really making me wish it was legal to punch people in the face. Here's what went down:
    Military Press:
    Hit a bunch of light warm ups
    100X3
    115X3
    130X11
    Accessory:
    Shrugs:225X15X5-Shoulders completely fried
    Incline Bench Press:135X15X5
    Thoughts:
    I hit the gym completely irritated with work. I couldn't wait to workout, and I enjoyed every second of it. I hated to leave and go back to the bullshit. I'm thinking I under-guessed at my 1RM, as I hit 11 on my third set. Overall it was a great workout, and I can't wait to deadlift tomorrow.

4-5-13
    Ah....Friday. Couldn't sleep too well, but woke up feeling great. My "eat whatever the hell I want" mentality is starting to catch up with me. I feel like I'm 300lbs. I'm not, I still weight 220, just feel fat. I couldn't wait to hit the gym, so I went a little earlier, around 9.
    Deadlift:
    Warm ups
    285X3
    325X3
    365X7
    Accessory:
    Barbell Rows-135X15X5 sets
    Standing straight bar curls-65X15X5
    Thoughts:
    I needed a good workout to take me into the weekend, and this one did not disappoint. That last set of deads felt like some crazy cardio session, my chest was burning, I was completely out of breath. Felt awesome! I gotta say I love my new inzer belt, my back has felt amazing since I started using it, and I also started wrapping my wrists which also helps. I usually deadlift bare foot, but today I wore my Chucks. I don't know if it was any difference or not, but it wasn't worse. Also, I got home from work yesterday to a package from ALN. Some BCAA and creatine. Both are new to me so I'm interested in seeing if I feel any different. I'm not sure how next week will go, I have to be in VA for the week for work, but I'm going to try to find a gym. If anyone knows of anything in the Atkins/Wytheville VA area, please let me know! I must say I feel much better this week than I did last. The break on Wed and splitting my upper days with lower seems to have really helped.
    Last edited by big ragu; 04-05-2013 at 10:20 AM.

This whole week was a wash. Was in VA working all week, the only gym I found was a community center. I waited over an hour to use the one bench they had, said fuck this and bounced. I'll resume Monday

4-15-13
    Back at it today. Last week sucked balls, being out of town sucks. I was anxious to get back in the gym, luckily work pissed me off enough to really motivate me.
    Bench:
    Warm ups
    215X5
    240X3
    270X5
    Accessory:
    Flys-60X15X5
    Close Grip Bench-135X15X5
    Jogged a mile
    Thoughts:
    I went under the bench shooting for 5, and that's what I got. Maybe if I told myself more, I'd have gotten more but who knows. Everything felt great, but I have been feeling like a slob lately. I need to start thinking about the diet more, and start doing some cardio. I don't like the amount of fat I've accumulated and I need to start cutting back on the garbage meals. I haven't felt very athletic. Anyway, tomorrow is squats and that shall be fun.

Not bad Ragu. Not bad. I've found the easiest way to keep diet in check is to allow 3 cheat meals during the week. You have a pretty good idea of when you and yours like to go out to eat, or go and do whatever. Save those meals for those times. It gives you something a bit more concrete to work towards.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Not bad Ragu. Not bad. I've found the easiest way to keep diet in check is to allow 3 cheat meals during the week. You have a pretty good idea of when you and yours like to go out to eat, or go and do whatever. Save those meals for those times. It gives you something a bit more concrete to work towards.
    Thank you. Seems like pretty sound advice. I don't want to get full on into a diet, but definitely need to scale back my shit intake.

So I woke up this morning thinking about squatting. Looks like my mind was right, too bad my body didn't want to cooperate. Here's how today went down:
    Squats:
    Warm ups
    275X5
    310X3
    345X2
    Accessory:
    BW Pullups-5X5
    Seated overhead dumbell press-50X15X5
    Jogged a 10 min mile
    Thoughts:
    My knee has really been giving up on me. The pain and locking are starting to become a real problem, luckily next Tues I have surgery. I was hoping for a better workout, hoping for like 5 reps or so but it just wasn't happening. I did do a little running and even that was pretty damn painful. Tomorrow is an off day, I may throw a little cardio session together. I don't know what the outcome of surgery next week will be, I know my benching and pressing should be relatively unaffected, but the squat/deadlift are going to probably take some steps backwards. Wait and see I guess......

4-18-13
    Ah, the day back in the gym after a rest day. Again I woke up thinking about lifting, I kind of like that. Although it does concern me a little that my chick is laying next to me naked and I wake up thinking about moving weights. I'll have to work on that....
    Anyway, the day started great, woke up feeling great, and still going that way. Work hasn't been bad, it got to be about 10am and I hit the gym.
    Standing Press:
    Several warm up sets
    110X5
    120X3
    135X12
    Accessory:
    Barbell Shrugs-225X15X5
    Incline Bench-135X15X5
    Ripped off 1 10 min mile
    Thoughts:
    Everything went well. I use a 5,3,1 program on my phone that tells me what weight I should be lifting and how many times, etc. It tells you reps to beat and I think it said 10 or 11 on the last set. I'm wondering if I ignored that damn thing and mentally tell myself to do as many as physically possible if I wouldn't squeak out another rep or so. Who knows, I was happy with 12. I still think I underestimated on my original 1RM, but that's cool. Ran a mile easily, just a lot of pain in my knee. I must say I'm quite envious when I read others logs and see such huge numbers being moved, but you gotta start somewhere, right? I'm happy.

Side note, I must be the only moron who decides that summer time would be a good time to get fat.....225 this morning

Dont feel bad, my weight is also going up haha. Nice OH presses.
    2000 or bust

Lol thanks. I was just reading someone's log on here that talks about carb backloading. This is something new that I need to read about, seems like it may be perfect for me!