The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Beer's Macros/Calories

This may be off topic but, how is it possible for beer to have 0fat 12.8 carbs and 0protein and be 144 calories?

http://www.pabstblueribbon.com/beer.php
    Check Out My YouTube Channel!
    21 yrs. old >180 bodyweight
    Gym PR's
    Squat - 480 (knee wraps)
    Bench - 380 raw
    Deadlift - 525 raw and 500x3 touch and go
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GloecklFitness

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Alcohol is 7 calories per gram.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    Alcohol is 7 calories per gram.
    I was under the impression that a calorie could only be a fat, carbohydrate, or protein. Is alcohol "technically" a carbohydrate and they just don't count it as such in this case
    Check Out My YouTube Channel!
    21 yrs. old >180 bodyweight
    Gym PR's
    Squat - 480 (knee wraps)
    Bench - 380 raw
    Deadlift - 525 raw and 500x3 touch and go
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GloecklFitness

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDeal930 View Post
    I was under the impression that a calorie could only be a fat, carbohydrate, or protein. Is alcohol "technically" a carbohydrate and they just don't count it as such in this case
    No, incorrect. ANY compound that provides energy technically is a source of Calories in the body. "Calorie" is a unit of energy. 1 Calorie (technically kilocalorie) is 4,184 Joules. Technically, assuming we could digest it (and convert it into pyruvate- those energy pathways are considered our "engines"), gasoline would have about ten Calories per gram.

So alcohol is not a carbohydrate. It is alcohol.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Technically, assuming we could digest it (and convert it into pyruvate- those energy pathways are considered our "engines"), gasoline would have about ten Calories per gram.
    Well dammit...talk about a missed bulking opportunity !
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

So if someone drinks alcohol, and I think this may have been discussed, but how does it prevent those from gaining or losing weight? Is it just empty calories? Trade your rice or potatoes and have beer with steak or another high protein source? Or is there more to it?
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Well dammit...talk about a missed bulking opportunity !
    Right? Can picture the scene at the gas station- buncha bodybuilders continually getting chased away from the pumps. "You! There! Get that out of your mouth!"

synonymous- it doesn't really prevent weight loss or gain. Technically, there's no such thing as an empty calorie. Granted, it has few other nutrients to it, but like carbohydrates, deaminated proteins, or fats, alcohol is broken down by the body into Acetyl CoA, at which point it enters the citric acid cycle much like any other nutrient. At this point, the body doesn't care WHERE the Acetyl CoA came from.

The one caveat here is that the body cannot store alcohol on its own without this conversion, and will preferentially use free Acetyl CoA versus generating more from stores. This means that if you've just pounded a bunch of booze, your body isn't too likely to be breaking down much fat at that time, since it has all the energy substrates it needs while metabolizing the alcohol. As you mentioned, this is a bit like what will happen with easily broken down carbs- if you yank out some carbs with your meal and replace with alcohol, the net impact will be pretty similar.

Then again, if you overconsume alcohol, and the body doesn't need all the Acetyl CoA, this is then repackaged and stored however the body sees fit. I generally don't worry too much about replacement of calorie sources- then again, I'm not much of a believer in meal timing having an impact on eventual body composition. If you're really worried about it, then yep, sub carbs for alcohol to make the calories match.

There's also a VERY transient effect that people talk about, where alcohol consumption temporarily reduces systemic protein synthesis, but quite frankly, I have NEVER noticed this doing a damn thing to anybody's gains, unless you're talking about people who binge drink every night.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results