The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig New Member

Help. Shakes are making me crash hard.

Hey everyone,

I am 5'10 and about 145. I got up to about 160 at one point and that's been the most I've ever weighed. I have to take in a ton of calories to put on any weight.

So I try to go through one of these shakes a day. But the problem is I crash 20 minutes afterwards quite hard. Can barely keep my eyes open, etc.

Is there anything I can change to prevent the crashes?

Shake consists of:

3 cups milk
    1 cup oats
    3 scoops BSN True-Mass Strawberry Milkshake

Thanks everyone.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Try a shake with equal calories but less carbs and more protein and fat and see if that helps.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

why milk?? to much dang sugar.

use egg whites..
    1 cup of oats isnt that many carbs at all..
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Wannabebig New Member
    Yeah I tried going without oats today. Used some peanut butter instead, but it didn't help.

You think I should use egg whites instead of milk? How much would you suggest I add to my shake?

Quote Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
    why milk?? to much dang sugar.

use egg whites..
    1 cup of oats isnt that many carbs at all..

50g is significant. Add those to the 90g in his gainer and its evident he's crashing from either too many carbs, or simply just the total overall calorie load. 39g of lactose is not the variable to start at imo.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado View Post
    Yeah I tried going without oats today. Used some peanut butter instead, but it didn't help.

You think I should use egg whites instead of milk? How much would you suggest I add to my shake?
    I wouldn't. Finish off that junk weightgainer and just use a protein powder, some of your oats, milk, and some fats like PB. Dthat gainer is 90g of maltodextrin per serving. Ditch those calories by using more straight protein powder and fat and I bet there is improvement.

If not, you'll have to try and spread out your calories into smaller servings or just suck it up and accept that its worth making progress for.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 03-26-2013 at 11:01 PM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks Behemoth.

Do you have any recommendations for adding fat and calories to the shake? I will look into other protein powders for sure.

Use whole milk and more peanut butter. A tablespoon or two of oil should go undetected in taste.

Don't forget that you have to eat big all day if you're struggling to gain weight. There's no magic or purpose in a shake if it offsets the amount of food you consume the rest of the day. if you're naturally thin/small you're going to have to tolerate the feeling of being full and quite possibly the crash.

There's truly nothing wrong with eating right before bed so that may be something else to consider as far as meal/shake timing vs energy levels is concerned.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 03-28-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    if you're naturally thin/small you're going to have to tolerate the feeling of being full and quite possibly the crash.
    All too true.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Complex carbs. You might want to up these to help smooth out your simple sugar intake. Do you have access to lots of food? I'm talking Meat & Potatoes, Bread etc.....

It will take time. You can change your body. You just have to be a persistent bugger about it. It's your body, take it to the Max.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

still don't understand why people recommend whole milk.. the macros are horrible. IMO id much rather get my carbs from oats, or such and fats from PB or olive oil...

Egg whites + oats + olive oil and maybe a scoop of whey is a better shake imo..
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

3 cups of milk in one shake?

tcopper,

This gentleman is trying to put on size. Ever heard of the Gomad diet?

putting on size doesnt = getting fat..

gomad diet is freaking horrible....
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

still don't understand why people recommend whole milk.. the macros are horrible
    Care to elaborate?

3 cups of milk in one shake?
    Why does that surprise you?

whole milk vita D

1 cup = 160 cals
    8g fat ( 5 is saturated )
    total carbs 13g ( 12 is sugar)
    Total protein is 8

so all of the carbs are sugar and all of the fats are saturated... how is that good compared to

Egg whites + oats + olive oil..
    I dont care if youre trying to gain weight or cut you should still eat the same just more or less...

the im bulking attitude lets get to 20% BF is a mistake..
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

Oh no sugar and fat??!?!? I think my heart just stopped.

lol! don't get me wrong man i love my damn milk! i would do some nasty things for some milk and cereal right now.

but as ive learned (from bodybuilding viewpoint) its really not a good choice for calories. To each their own tho, different people, different goals. just voicing my opinion is all
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

The dude is 145lbs at 5'10", I'm sure 3 cups of milk a day isn't going to the deciding factor of him getting to 20 percent bf.

When it comes down to it, it's calories in verse calories out. Yes, calories from oats and egg whites might be better for you in the super long run compared to whole milk (as far as health is concerned, even then, I'm saying that loosely). But from an aesthetic approach, if both give the same amount of calories, it doesn't make a difference as far as BF goes.
    Last edited by Jonathan E; 04-02-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

He's got a point, though.... shoveling down a big load of relatively unhealthy crap is NOT the way to gain quality weight. I don't really like GOMAD either, though I do know it's worked for some guys who really CAN'T take in enough whole calories. (Shit, I can house 6-7k without too much thought, but I do love good food).

Don't get me wrong, I do believe a calorie is a calorie, but it also pains me to see skinny guys suddenly start pounding WAY too many calories without ramping up their training intensity enough and going from skinny to skinny fat. It also does pay to take a moment to consider the health aspects of these things. (Again, not that saturated fat is in any way "bad", nor that sugar itself is necessarily bad either... just presenting the other side. )
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    He's got a point, though.... shoveling down a big load of relatively unhealthy crap is NOT the way to gain quality weight. I don't really like GOMAD either, though I do know it's worked for some guys who really CAN'T take in enough whole calories. (Shit, I can house 6-7k without too much thought, but I do love good food).

Don't get me wrong, I do believe a calorie is a calorie, but it also pains me to see skinny guys suddenly start pounding WAY too many calories without ramping up their training intensity enough and going from skinny to skinny fat. It also does pay to take a moment to consider the health aspects of these things. (Again, not that saturated fat is in any way "bad", nor that sugar itself is necessarily bad either... just presenting the other side. )
    Most definitely...it's all about balance.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Why do all milk arguments seem to turn to GOMAD as if its GOMAD or nothing. Plenty of room in between.

He's got a point, though.... shoveling down a big load of relatively unhealthy crap is NOT the way to gain quality weight.
    Alex, are you speaking in broad terms or do you actually rate whole milk as 'relatively unhealthy crap'?

Alex V,

I would love to see you shovel down 6-7k of calories of clean food. I really don't see that happening. When I refer to clean foods I mean lean meats and complex carbs.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    The dude is 145lbs at 5'10", I'm sure 3 cups of milk a day isn't going to the deciding factor of him getting to 20 percent bf.
    I was thinking he meant he had several shakes a day w/ three cups of milk in each .

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    Alex V,

I would love to see you shovel down 6-7k of calories of clean food. I really don't see that happening. When I refer to clean foods I mean lean meats and complex carbs.

Matt
    I put down that much in clean cals. It's not that hard once you get used to it..
    Last edited by tcooper; 04-03-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old