Thread: Bench Training - Rack Lockouts - Good or Bad?

Bench Training - Rack Lockouts - Good or Bad?

What do you guys think? Pin presses or rack lockouts, have kinda become an old school training technique. seems most guys end up using boards as opposed to the rack.

Why is this? Injury? Convience? Technique?

I've always found that for raw strength, when done correctly (no bouncing off the pins and a mid range or lower height) that pin presses are a really brutal way of increasing pressing power.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I like them, seem to help my bench go up when I do them about an inch off the chest. Thats where I tend to fail an inch or 2 off of my chest. Granted what i'm lifting is peanuts compared to lots of people on here, but I do see results when I do them.

ive used them afew times, can never get the right groove so they just feel awkward so i use boards instead. i imagine they would be better if i had some chains to suspend the bar
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I've done them with reverse bands and liked them.... with straight weight I can't really go heavy enough to get much out of them without my forearms getting really beat up.

I do feel though, that high board presses work better for me because it's easier to keep tight in the bottom and my forearms get beat up a bit less.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Dr. Subtotal
    I like them done with a fat bar and sticking to singles. Good way to sneak in a construct to avoid going too heavy (killing your joints) but getting enough out of them. Really teaches you the cue of squeezing the bar and bracing the whole body right before pressing after the judge's command.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Ah the fat bar. Thats a good idea. The fat bar is always easier on my elbows so I could see where that'd be a good application for pin presses.

How do you guys incorporate them into training? As an accessory? (what rep ranges?) or as a Max Effort movement?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I used to use them weekly when I was younger in my teens and early twenties. They beat my delts and wrist up though. I think high boaard work is superior to the pin press though and less injury prone. The pin press is impossible to mirror from rep to rep where as a 5 or 6 board can be duplicated easily each rep form wise.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I used to use them weekly when I was younger in my teens and early twenties. They beat my delts and wrist up though. I think high boaard work is superior to the pin press though and less injury prone. The pin press is impossible to mirror from rep to rep where as a 5 or 6 board can be duplicated easily each rep form wise.
    Solid point Scott. I agree, they do beat my wrists up.

I would agree about high pins being difficult to replicate each rep, what do you think about mid range (say 2 or 3brd height) pins?

When I started using them I found myself watching the pins out of my peripheral vision, but once I got to looking on my chest or belly where I'd normally touch I was able to stay pretty consistent.

Overall though I do think boards tend to be easier on you because you aren't ever in a completely static position like with pin presses. When you get to the heavy weights you can often be forced into an isometric movement at the start. Puts a LOT of tension on those ligaments in the shoulder.

Board pressing is easier on my shoulders than rack pressing so I prefer the boards.

I use to do them all the time. When I got into equipped benching I sort of phased it out. Starting back doing them now as I recover from injury. Should have never cut them out!
    best single ply meet lifts 850-670-685 best total 2170
    Multiply meet lifts 1003-700-677-2380

I really used to like them. However I noticed they were really beating on my elbows and wrists.

I now prefer boards and floor presses with vaious different bars. (t bar, straight bar and fat bar)

Usually throw them in as accessory work for triceps

They used to be a staple of my training back in the day. Man, those can beat you up bad. They just don't allow for a bench groove. That said, dead benches do in the rack do, and those are just awful.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo