Thread: Question for all the former fat guys at heart.

Question for all the former fat guys at heart.

Need some input here. I just had my meet this weekend and things did not go as planned.

I made a goal to go to 242 and break the USAPL AMerican total record. Long story short I went from 274 to 251 over a 12 week period. This went great and I actually PRed each week at my lowest body weight. I then went zero carb and waterloaded for 4 days and arrived at the meet at 246.5

I had two choices. Just roll as a very light 275er or hit the sauna. I dont like making goals then quititng on them so I ended up sitting in the sauna for an hour and made weight an hour before the meet started.

I knew my chances at the record were blown when I hit my last opener in the squat and felt like I was going to fall over. I ended up missing a bunch of attempts and falling short tof my goal around 80 lbs. I lowered all my openers and just focused on finishing the meet to qualify for Raw nationals.

So heres my question. Does any one just say screw it with weight classes and just lift where theyre body weight sits. It will take a different mind set for me but I leaning this way. I have always focused on a weight class when competing and I think I have the shits of it. In the past year I have weighted as light as 231 and as heavy as 274 lifting according to what weight class I entered in. Im contemplating just living in the low 250s and competing as light 275er. It may cost me a placing or two at the big meets but I think Ill be stronger in the long run and happier.

Any thoughts guys. As a former fat dude I had in my head that making the 242 class would make me officically "healthy and no longer a fat ass". Ive made 242.5 now a good bit but now it just seems trivial to define health by a weight class.

Im curious what you guys think that may be in the same boat as me.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I always encourage our guys to lift at their strongest training weight. Our argument is that unless you are aiming for an all-time record, or some other kind of big record or milestone (Elite/Pro Total, etc) its not worth the risk on meet day of having a terrible day to cut to make weight. (and here I am talking 10lbs or more...a 5-10lbs drop isnt too hard, especially if you are big boned like most of us!) In your case, you had a shot at what I would call a big record/milestone, but only at the higher bodyweight were you able to hit it. With a 24hr weighin I think you get it no problem, but in your case lifting with USAPL it just makes it difficult to justify any type of big weight drop with having to put it back on so quickly.

If it were me, I'd either live at 250 and below and compete at 242 in the USAPL or just say screw it and go for the 275 records...
    Elite Total at 275
    Deep South Barbell
    dsbb.wordpress.com

I lift at whatever I weigh in at. I got to the point awhile ago where I found myself becomming more stressed about making weight and it's effect on my strength and found it to be an unnecessary situation.

Way I look at it, I'm a healthy weight and body composition, I really don't need to be 220 or whatever right now. Maybe some day down the road when I'm finding myself pursuing stuff outside of powerlifting, but for now I want to be able to get stronger.

Honestly I think sometimes the way guys cut weight it really effects their central nervous system, setting them up for disaster on meet day.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

To be 242 with a same day weigh in, you might be better off being around 245 the week before the meet.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    Scott, why don't you just drop down to 242 slowly like you did from 275-251 and then just compete in the 242s without needing a cut .

Trust me scott I went from 280 down to 220. With same day weigh ins I will just go in at what I am walking around at. I would encourage you to not make such huge drops so close to a meet it is really hard. And to see the numbers you want you need to not have your body taxed like that. Great job tho
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #2 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    www.fuelthedesire.com THE ALPHA PROJECT
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Nitrean Plus, BCAA, Multi Plus, Fish Oil, ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

Wannabebig Member
    I say screw weightclasses unless I have a friend to compete against.

But I'm not a highly competitive lifter, I guess if and when I make it to big time competition (eg having chances to break open records) I'd do whatever it took to make weight

Cutting weight is hard. Plus you don't get 24 hr weigh ins. 10-15 lb cuts used to be easy for me. I don't want to deal with it anymore. That is why I am keeping my weight under 280.

My recommendation is to stay around 247. Five lbs the week before a meet is pretty easy to take off. You shouldn't need to waterload or anything. Just cut carbs that week. Limit fluids the last day and sweat a bit if you have to. Plus, you can put the five back on by competition time (2 hrs right?)

There's no reason you can't train around that weight.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

For 99% of people, I'd tell them it doesn't matter. Just lift wherever you feel strongest. At your level, I think it does matter. I'd pick the weight class where you're the most competitive. With same day weigh-ins, you need to be really close to the actual weight class though.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Wow, without 24 hours to put some bloat back on I wouldn't cut water. That's pretty hardcore to try to lift all depleted like that.

Unless you are going for some sort of record it's not worth it to me.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by IRBS View Post
    I always encourage our guys to lift at their strongest training weight. Our argument is that unless you are aiming for an all-time record, or some other kind of big record or milestone (Elite/Pro Total, etc) its not worth the risk on meet day of having a terrible day to cut to make weight. (and here I am talking 10lbs or more...a 5-10lbs drop isnt too hard, especially if you are big boned like most of us!) In your case, you had a shot at what I would call a big record/milestone, but only at the higher bodyweight were you able to hit it. With a 24hr weighin I think you get it no problem, but in your case lifting with USAPL it just makes it difficult to justify any type of big weight drop with having to put it back on so quickly.

If it were me, I'd either live at 250 and below and compete at 242 in the USAPL or just say screw it and go for the 275 records...
    I agree with this. No sense in worrying about weight class unless you have a very compelling reason to do so.

This has been a sore subject for me, lol. Only because I'm having a hard time leaving the 242's. I usually walk around at 250-253, and my last meet, I was waking up @ 248. So cutting weight has never been an issue. But, I hate doing it. It stresses me out when I'm about 2 days out from weigh-ins and I'm hungry ALL the time. Even when it is 6lbs, lol. I would just rather eat what I want, when I want. But, like always, I get inside my head and force myself to cut the weight. My next meet which is in August, I'm going to attempt to break the USPA American record @ 242. After that, I think my 242 days are over with, unless I can maintain a lighter bodyweight.

Maybe you should try another way to cut the weight. Having to drop 4lbs just hours before lifting has to suck, lol.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Thanks for the input everyone. Its nice to get multiple persepctives from a group of awesome lifters. Some thoughts here mirror mine and some gave me some other things to consider.

I appreciate it.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS