Thread: Power lifting and Hypertrophy

Wannabebig Member

Power lifting and Hypertrophy

Hey all,

I've always lifted according to more body building principles. I've put on solid weight and made decent strength gains over the last three years. I'm now 217lbs, 73 inches and hover around 14%bf.

I am considering making it my number one goal of hitting a 405lb bench. In the 12-18 months it will take me (starting at 300lb bench) I will obviously shift to a PL routine. My only concern is that I'm not going to be gaining much muscle since that's obviously not the focus of these routines. If I do this am I losing out on 10-15lbs of lean muscle gains? Or will these continue to come while on the bench journey?

Absolutely. You will still be training large muscle groups frequently and probably lifting a vast amount more weight. You can always hit smaller muscle groups after your main work anyway with volume or whatever stimulus you like.

adequate calories and you will grow! No need to worry about the routine change, and good luck with your goal! 4 wheels a side is a big milestone for a lot of people.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J L S View Post
    Absolutely. You will still be training large muscle groups frequently and probably lifting a vast amount more weight. You can always hit smaller muscle groups after your main work anyway with volume or whatever stimulus you like.

adequate calories and you will grow! No need to worry about the routine change, and good luck with your goal! 4 wheels a side is a big milestone for a lot of people.
    Great advice. Usually my training motto is hit the big lifts and big BW movements(pull up, dip, etc.), sprints, some trail running, and some pre-hab work. All the curls, different ab work, etc. is all just gravy for me. Burning a few more calories and having fun.

GETLEAN
    Quote Originally Posted by rvadog View Post
    Hey all,

I've always lifted according to more body building principles. I've put on solid weight and made decent strength gains over the last three years. I'm now 217lbs, 73 inches and hover around 14%bf.

I am considering making it my number one goal of hitting a 405lb bench. In the 12-18 months it will take me (starting at 300lb bench) I will obviously shift to a PL routine. My only concern is that I'm not going to be gaining much muscle since that's obviously not the focus of these routines. If I do this am I losing out on 10-15lbs of lean muscle gains? Or will these continue to come while on the bench journey?

5/3/1 has a great template in the book about hypertrophy and main lifts

Very low rep training is what stimulates primarily the nervous system and does little for hypertrophy, but almost all powerlifting systems incorporate higher repetition work thus still stimulating growth.

When you say you are going to do a powerlifting routine, what do you have in mind?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    5/3/1 or Westside I guess though neither really calls to me. I just want a routine that will get my bench up to 400.

Quote Originally Posted by rvadog View Post
    5/3/1 or Westside I guess though neither really calls to me. I just want a routine that will get my bench up to 400.
    If you find a program that gets you from 300-400 please let me know! I'm at 315 1RM and would kill for 350!
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

Since day one i have always 'powerbuilded', and have not yet found a diminishing return in strength for size gained. That wont last forever, but as a 198 i lifted and 'wilks'd more than i did at 181. At 220 better yet than at 198. At 231, better yet, and at 242 the difference was huge... which is impressive as i was far from a beginner at that point. My next goal would be to try and get deep into the 275's... probably around 255-255lbs, but even at 240 now i'm 60lbs over my starting weight and having a LOT ov trouble getting bigger, or even keeping what i have. Getting REALLY big becomes all about the money if you want it to be lean... which is why you dont see 250lb jacked guys walking around everywhere. Thats my problem and why i'm not 250lbs now... i simply cant afford that much quality protein/food. The work/training is the easy part...

My programs have always been my own, and are fairly basic 3-phase periodization programs, starting with an 8-rep phase with tons ov hypertrophy, then to a 5x5 phase with tapering hypertrophy, then finishing with a 3x3 phase and tapering most volume/ hypertrophy/anything not comp lift 1RM related.

Dont give yourself rigid deadline goals... unless you have inhuman will and focus. Make your goals smaller, quicker and more realistic and i think you'll find they add up to your end goal quicker than 'trying to put 105lbs on your bench in 12 months'. Hit 315, then 350, then 365, then 385. then the biggie.