Thread: Bicep Tear Video

Bicep Tear Video

This was a nightmare come true. I have a few ideas as to why this occurred but want your input (without suggestion first) before i share my thoughts.

Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

That sucks bro, i'm sorry to hear that. I have no ideas or thoughts to share with you, because I will not be watching the video, lol. Sorry, I can't stand watching lifters getting injured. But I do wish you a speedy recovery.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

That was brutal dude. That thing really let go

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

GETLEAN
    Get well man, wheres the video tho

I hate those kind of videos!

Good luck with the surgery and heal fast.

Cringe worthy stuff, mate. Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

I won't be watching the video because I also detatched mine, and I don't want to bring back bad memories. The good news is the surgery is very effective. I remember my surgeon saying he'd seen other people get the same injury doing simple tasks, such as raking leaves or cleaning the pool.

Make sure you get it fixed soon. Apparently the sooner you get it done, the easier the surgery is.

Perhaps a lack of flexibility with supination. Hated watching the vid. I am happy I at least I tore mine deadlifting 675
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-02-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

You didn't tear it with that particular exercise or even the rep it occurred. I would venture to say it was a by-product of several things and it culminated with the tear at that moment.

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    You didn't tear it with that particular exercise or even the rep it occurred. I would venture to say it was a by-product of several things and it culminated with the tear at that moment.
    this

Jesus, that looked painful as fuck. Good luck on the repair

Justin, did it hurt? Mine honestly didn't. I just mentally freaked. I had not conventionally deadlifted in over a decade. So even though it was torn, I asked Rhodes if it was locked before I dropped it. It sounded like velcro ripping apart and it felt like steak tearing in half. It ended up bruising from my palm to shoulder. I have to find the pic. I have it on a polaroid. Yeah, that's how old I am.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I need to stay out of this thread, I keep getting sick to my stomach from reading the posts, lol. I know, I'm a big baby
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

That sucks man. I hope you recover fast.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I'm thinking impingement in the shoulder or a SLAP tear that irritated the bicipital tendon causing it to degenerate to the point it tore while you were curling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I'm thinking impingement in the shoulder or a SLAP tear that irritated the bicipital tendon causing it to degenerate to the point it tore while you were curling.
    That does happen sometimes, but it usually lets go from the top down in that case. Justins went from the elbow up.

I'm too scared to watch the video... distal tendon tear? Ouch...

thats nasty. Hope you heal up quickly justin.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    I believe this to be the case as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Justin, did it hurt? Mine honestly didn't. I just mentally freaked. I had not conventionally deadlifted in over a decade. So even though it was torn, I asked Rhodes if it was locked before I dropped it. It sounded like velcro ripping apart and it felt like steak tearing in half. It ended up bruising from my palm to shoulder. I have to find the pic. I have it on a polaroid. Yeah, that's how old I am.
    It definitely hurt when it happened but that subsided almost immediately. The pain returned after a couple days though.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Perhaps a lack of flexibility with supination. Hated watching the vid. I am happy I at least I tore mine deadlifting 675
    Yes I have never had good supination flexibility. I'm pretty sure this is because the size of my fore arms though.

So I was out to dinner with Jose Raymond and Branden Ray (Both IFBB pros) the other night and as you might assume, the topic of my bicep tear came up. After showing them the video both of them agreed that the range of motion used in the video was far too much for this exercise and puts an exceptional load on the distal end of the bicep. Both were certain this had a lot to do with the tear.

I also had a lengthy conversation with Chris Mason and he seemed to think that coming back from long periods (a month or more) of rest post surgery or otherwise played a large role. He was saying that in the book Super Training by Mel Siff he referrs to the muscles ability to adapt to heavy loads quickly (a week~) after periods of down time. He also said that tendons and ligaments can take as long as 8-12 weeks to reach the same level of adaptation to heavy loads.

Lastly I spoke with Becca Swanson (A good friend) and she was saying that it likely had something to to with the antibiotics I was on in Dec and january for my knee surgery. Which I honestly haven't had time to research at ths point but definately makes sense.

So it sounds like there were a few contributing factors to this incident. Live and learn I guess.
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!

Best raw lifts:

Sorry to see that man. I tore mine back in october.

My thought is to agree with you. That this excercise was simply the straw that broke the camels back.

Get better and you will be back.

Mind if I ask what the knee surgery was for? I have one coming up in a couple weeks to repair a torn meniscus.
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    That does happen sometimes, but it usually lets go from the top down in that case. Justins went from the elbow up.
    Exactly.

Like others have said, I believe it was a combination of things that led to this terrible thing. If I had to guess, recovery might be a tad less complicated since the tendon you tore connects to the radius(Forearm) rather than the ones that connect with the shoulder, which can bring up a whole other set of questions.

Either way, it is a big set back and I wish you a good recovery. I couldn't imagine (nor do I want too).
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

antibiotics really dry you out big time. Whenever Im on them for more than 7 days I can really feel it. Joints start to hurt and I have to be really careful with my training or I'll end up pulling something. Last time I torqued my left tricep pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by big ragu View Post
    Mind if I ask what the knee surgery was for? I have one coming up in a couple weeks to repair a torn meniscus.
    When I was about 12 years old some friends and I used to jump down a three-story sandhill in California and land about the last 10 feet and slide down in the sand. Well, onetime I accidentally cleared the entire hill and folded my leg in half. I tore my ACL snapped a piece of my kneecap off, Broke my fibula and compound fractured my tibia. Needless to say I have had a lot of discomfort squatting as I've gotten stronger. So I saw my doctor and after an x-ray and MRI he found that there was quite a bit of Cartlidge and scar tissue in my knee. So at his recommendation and a bit of consideration i let him go in and clean it all out. He also found a small tear in my meniscus which he removed.
    Now almost 4 months later I have nearly 0 discomfort while squatting and that crunching sensation is gone!
    Last edited by Justin Randal; 04-13-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Best raw lifts: