Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight cutting water trick

weight cutting water trick

Hey all. I have a meet coming up on Sept 8th, first one in years. I'm probably going to need to drop about 5-7 lbs on weigh day in to get to 181. I've lost some weight by cutting back my carbs a bit over the last week but I don't want to cut all the way down to 181 by cutting carbs, as I'm sure it will affect my strength. So I want to cut 5-7 lbs through water. Years ago I remember trying with good effect to drink a bunch of water each day for a couple of days before the weigh in and then not drinking the day of the weigh in. But I don't remember how to do that properly. Can anyone give me an outline on how to do it please? Thanks.

Weigh in the day of or before?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

day before...

This is very easy to do then. Just google the topic, if I remember there are some articles written on it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

If weigh-ins are on a Friday....

Monday-2 gallons of water
    Tuesday-2 gallons of water
    Wednesday-1.5 gallons of water
    Thursday-1/2 gallon of water by 5:00pm and stop
    Friday-Time to go weigh-in!!!!

This is what I do and I've lost up to 10lbs. Good luck!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Thanks Brian. That's what I was looking for. Let the excessive urination begin!

Hey do you try to take in any extra salt when you're consuming that much water? Just to keep electrolyte balance? Obviously I wouldn't do that the day before weigh ins or I'd end up retaining water I want to lose but in the days prior to that? Anyway, thanks again.

A

Wannabebig Member
    Brian Carroll just wrote an extensive article on this topic:

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...g-competition/

Quote Originally Posted by andhen2003 View Post
    Thanks Brian. That's what I was looking for. Let the excessive urination begin!

Hey do you try to take in any extra salt when you're consuming that much water? Just to keep electrolyte balance? Obviously I wouldn't do that the day before weigh ins or I'd end up retaining water I want to lose but in the days prior to that? Anyway, thanks again.

A
    I've never added any extra salt. Not saying it wouldn't work, just never done it. The first two days I eat normal, then the last two days before weigh-ins I'll start cutting out carbs and sodium. You can try it since you don't have much weight to lose.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

We'll see. I weighed myself this morning and I was only 185, so cutting back the carbs seems to have made a big difference already. Hopefully that means I won't have to do any messing around with the 'water trick.'

Quote Originally Posted by AZBengoshi View Post
    Brian Carroll just wrote an extensive article on this topic:

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...g-competition/
    After reading this it makes me feel kind of silly for my cut before my last meet. Seems like a solid plan.

I did 2 gallons of water monday and tuesday with high sodium. 2 gallons of distilled water, no sodium, just chicken and oil no flavor for wednesday and thursday. Friday, nothing at all till weigh ins. Did evening weigh ins, on the drive I covered myself in a thick blanket and tried to get the heater going in there and turned the heated seats on, I wasn't driving mind you. I was also sick so start of saturday really was rough, and holding down food and fluids didn't work as well as I hoped. Thursday night I was 228, friday at weigh ins 218.

I really only kept cutting because I have been on a long cut already which I will continue till spring time, give or take once I reach my goals. I have a different plan for my meet in november, since I will still be losing body fat I intend to be near or below 220, which will allow me to consume more carbs and calories leading into the meet, make weight with ease and not have to deal with the horribleness of consuming flavorless chicken, I even skipped a meal since it was terrible.

I'm not experienced with this at all, so my plan probably is bad, especially the diet part of it. I like his much better, don't have to cut out salt like I did.

The more weight you have to cut, the more little tricks you need to use. Try and keep your cut under 5% and it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. It's really not rocket science. Some people make it much more difficult than it need be. I know, I have done that to myself.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Being a lighter lifter, it can be quite tough losing a good amount of water weight. It doesn't always go smooth a my last cut for 198s didn't. I had to resort to Magnesium Citrate and few hot baths to finish. Just keep and eye on what or if your losing. If nothing is coming off by wednesday night, you might need to add a few of these tricks come Thursday afternoon. Id stop eating or drinking 24 hours out, so if its a 9am weigh in Friday, cut it off 9am Thursday. Its pretty easy no matter what. The most important part is to make sure you get all the weight back on. If you have access to an IV, that's the best ting you can do. If not, then drink and drink and drink. Its more important then the food you take in.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Welp, I woke up this morning at 181 lbs. All through reducing my carbs, I lost 10 lbs in a couple of weeks. I didn't expect to be able to do so given that I'm no spring chicken anymore.

I'm sure some of it too was that I haven't taken any creatine over that period. I tend to hold water when I take my creatine. No need for a water cut after all. Heck, I could have easily cut down to 165 lbs! (not that I want to do that to myself).

So, I will probably lose some strength from my weight loss. I'm re-upping my carbs a bit today and tomorrow to gain a few lbs back, which I'll try to lose as water weight on Saturday (weigh-in day). Hopefully I can get back up to 185-187 or so by the time of the meet. A net five lb weight loss hopefully won't hurt me too badly.

Thanks for the input though everybody.

fyi I was 180 lbs at weigh in and am 185.5 now. Now, if I can just keep from throwing up before I compete today. Man, it's been so long I forgot how nervous I get before a competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    If weigh-ins are on a Friday....

Monday-2 gallons of water
    Tuesday-2 gallons of water
    Wednesday-1.5 gallons of water
    Thursday-1/2 gallon of water by 5:00pm and stop
    Friday-Time to go weigh-in!!!!

This is what I do and I've lost up to 10lbs. Good luck!
    Who gave you this idea?
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

fyi I was 180 lbs at weigh in and am 185.5 now. Now, if I can just keep from throwing up before I compete today. Man, it's been so long I forgot how nervous I get before a competition!
    Haha, just relax and have some fun. Once you hit your openers you'll be fine. I still get nervous when I compete, lol. But after my openers I'm good to go!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by muscle_g View Post
    Who gave you this idea?
    You did brother!!! lol
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Good luck dude!! Relax, have some fun, and SFW!!!
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

Andy, give me a call later today. I'll give you Tim Gale's #. He'll walk you through it. He's done it multiple times and walked all the JI guys through it coming up to a meet.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Well, I wanted to update this to let everyone know that based on my horrible experience this weekend, the way I went about this was a BIG mistake that I'll never repeat again - and you shouldn't do it either! Originally I posted this because I was in the low 190's BW, and wanted to compete in the 181 weight class. It's been about 3 years since I competed, and I only ever cut weight once in the 4 or 5 times I competed in the past. I started cutting back carbs a couple of weeks ago and figured that would drop me a couple of pounds, to be followed by the need to cut water weight and then quickly put it back on.

Instead, I discovered that the weight was dropping off of me pretty quickly by simply cutting back carbs alone. Again, I didn't expect this, as I'm 44 years old and figured it wouldn't be that easy to cut weight through reducing carbs. So I just went with it, and on the day of weigh ins, I simply cut back my water consumption and didn't eat.

I hit the scales at weigh in, and I was 180 lbs with clothes on. So probably 178-179 lbs w/o clothes. I had dropped 13 or 14 lbs off my little frame in two weeks. Great, I thought, that was easy. So I left and started stuffing my face with food, Gatorade and water for the evening, and the next morning. In the morning I weighed 185-186.

But I knew something was wrong as soon as I started warming up. I felt shaky, weak, and sick. I squatted 365 lbs warming up and it felt like the heaviest weight I'd ever lifted. I was pissing like there was no tomorrow.

I'd planned on starting with a 425 lb squat, which I'd repped easily a few weeks ago. Instead I cut it back to 415 lbs. When I got under it, my body started shaking and my core felt totally weak. I barely got a good lift, in fact I think they were being generous. I increased to a weight I'd easily done in competition years ago, and it STAPLED me. They barely caught me as I went flying forward and I pulled something in my leg.

Same thing happened in bench. Opener barely went up - a weight I was doing for sets of FIVE paused of a couple of weeks ago! Second attempt, slightly more weight -- stapled me. At that point I went up to the judges, told them to rip up my sheet and that I didn't deserve a trophy for barely making my openers. I was completely disgusted with myself. When I got home, my BW was 179.

I am pretty sure I screwed myself royally by cutting back my carbs. There's no other rational explanation. I was nervous, but I've done fine in the past when I'm nervous. I was just significantly weaker than I had been in training. And at the end of the day, significantly lighter too, which must have hurt me also. I don't plan to cut weight for a meet in the future -- setting federation records isn't important to me, setting PR's is. But if I ever consider it, it will only be through water weight, not through cutting back carbs.

Pretty much. Cutting out carbs is a terrible idea. Leaves you nothing to compete with.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

life, one rep at a time
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    Pretty much. Cutting out carbs is a terrible idea. Leaves you nothing to compete with.
    I respectfully disagree, the best cuts I've had were with 0 carbs through the week until after weigh ins. The built up insulin sensitivity actually creates an awesome rebound effect for putting the weight back on properly which seems like the problem here from what I read. I've made the same mistake with failing to reconstitute properly in the past. Loading up with moderate protein low fat and high carb meals through about 2 or 3pm (nap time) and supplementing with table salt through the day to help hold all the water was what turned everything around for me. Or the IV route would be easier.
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128030

Right, but you knew what you were doing. Sound like Andy kind of winged it and no carbs + winging it = bad news.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Yup. I was definitely winging it. I was just surprised the weight was dropping off of me so I stuck with it. I did jam in a ton of carbs after weigh in, but it didn't stick. BTW I wasn't even zero carbs - I cut them back but didn't even wean completely off until the last day or so. I didn't have to, I was losing a pound or more a day. I guess my point is that unless you put a lot of thought and study into doing it properly, cutting carbs as a way to make weight can do a lot more harm than good. I'm not doing it again because it isn't worth it to me to risk how much I can lift, for the potential benefit of being able to set a record. I'm still capable of setting records at my natural weight anyway.