Thread: Need help with my Mass Building Plan

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Need help with my Mass Building Plan

Hello fellow (Offically a member as of an hour ago ) WannaBeBig members. This is my first post so hopefully I dont screw anything up too bad. Anyway here's my story..

I am a senior in High School and will be playing college football next year as a Wide Receiver. I am currently 185lbs and 6ft tall. I have about 3-4 months before Summer Camp starts and I want to do anything and everything I can to gain some more quality weight before I start my college career. Since I am in high school, it is hard to find time to get all of my workouts done. For example I will do Chest/Back in the morning and then Bi's Tri's during my lifting class and thats if im lucky. I will usually have to wait till after my track practice just to finish my upper body or lower body workouts. It gets crazy and it takes a lot of motivation to get in to the weight room up to 3 times a day. When it comes to the weight room, I know what I am doing so I don't necessarily need any workout plans but if you have any suggestions I would be down to try them. Or maybe if you have any suggestions on which body parts I should be working at which time.
    Heres the available lifting times I have: (8 - 8:45 AM) (10:40 - 11:20 AM) (After track practice I can take as long as I need to. Practice usually gets over about 5ish).

The REAL problems is eating! I know the obvious rules of getting about 1-1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight and also that i need to get about 3500 - 4000 calories per day, but I have problems actually reaching that goal. This problem is basically due to not having enough time between classes to eat. I try to eat 5-6 times a day but it really just ends up being 3 BIG meals. So i was wondering if you guys had any advice on what kind of eating schedule I should make AKA what foods to eat, when to take protein shakes, etc..

This is what my schedule looks like right now:

Breakfast (7:20 AM): 5 eggs (2 whole and 3 egg whites) - A protein shake with a cup of oats, 2 tsp of Peanut Butter, and a banana. GREAT BREAKFAST i could eat this everyday of my life

Mid-Meal (9:30 AM): Pretty much nothing right now

Lunch (11:30 - 12): Whatever our cafeteria makes plus a couple of PB&J sandwiches

2nd Mid Meal (2:30 - 3 PM): Also pretty non-existent as of now.

Dinner (6 - 7:30 PM): My mom is the perfect weight lifter's cook. She always makes something very high in protein so I am not worried about this part.

Bedtime: I have some Casein Protein but I have been saving it for when I have my full meal plan in place. Any suggestions/personal favs on a homemade nighttime protein shake?

So there it is. I feel like the biggest problem I have is figuring out what a Mid-Meal is supposed to be. I am not sure what is too much or what is the right type of food to be eating in between meals. The dude at GNC today said he also ate 5-6 times a day and his Mid-Meal was just a couple of protein bars. This just seems very bogus to me (maybe im wrong). Plus, I never trust those GNC guys...

GreyhoundWR,

Age, height, weight? Have you read any of the other post in here for some ideas? We get asked this question a lot here, so it would behoove you to do a look around of the bodybuilding section.

Matt

Matt, he gave all of that...

Greyhound,

You have me confused. First, football season is over, so what are you talking about relative to practice?

Next, why don't you just train after school?

What does your training look like EXACTLY (sets and reps).

I don't mean to insult you, but trust me, you really DON'T know what you are doing, but you have come to the right place for help.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I don't mean to insult you, but trust me, you really DON'T know what you are doing, but you have come to the right place for help.
    I was expecting someone to say this haha but yeah I agree. I am definitely not as knowledgeable as the users on this site which is why I came here.

My bad for the confusion on practices. I am currently on the track team right now which means I have practice after school from about 3 to 5.

Training Schedule:

Biceps: Barbell Curls 3x8 Incline Dumbbell Curls 3x8 Barbell 21's
    Triceps: Pressdowns 3x10 Skullcrushers 3x8 Overhead Extensions 3x10 Dips 2xFailure
    Chest: Dumbbell Bench Press 3x8 Incline Dumbell Bench Press 3x8 Decline Dumbell Bench Press 3x8 Incline Flys 2x15 Flat Bench Flys 2x15
    Shoulders+Back: Dumbbell Shruggs 2x20 Military Press 3x10 Front/Side Raises 2x20 BentOver Rows 3x8 Seated Rows 3x8
    Legs: Squat 3x10 PowerClean 3x10 Lunges 3x10 Stepups 3x10 Leg Curls 3x10 Calf Raises 2x(I do 20 sets of regular. 20 sets with feet pointed in. 20 sets feet pointed out)

Greyhoundwr, sorry (my ADHD kick in while reading that)!

Chris, thanks for showing me the errors of my ways. Hahahha

I didn't read anything you posted beyond your size. Your are big enough already for a college wr. Muscle will come as you mature. Focus on speed and running routes. Do a lifting routine based on squats, bench press, deadlift, and overhead presses. Throw curls in at the end of one of your workouts, but don't make biceps the basis for an entire day of training right now. If you are competent in them already, incorporate the Olympic lifts. If not, don't stress too much about them either.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    I didn't read anything you posted beyond your size. Your are big enough already for a college wr. Muscle will come as you mature.
    Ya maybe but I am not content with it (human nature). I'd like to be about 195

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundWR View Post
    Ya maybe but I am not content with it (human nature). I'd like to be about 195
    What will weighing 195 do to improve your football playing ability?

FWIW and while it was only division 3, I started at offensive line in college weighing 210 lbs and can only recall one match up where size hurt me. The next year I got myself up to 230, but felt I played better at 210 to be honest.

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    I didn't read anything you posted beyond your size. Your are big enough already for a college wr. Muscle will come as you mature. Focus on speed and running routes. Do a lifting routine based on squats, bench press, deadlift, and overhead presses. Throw curls in at the end of one of your workouts, but don't make biceps the basis for an entire day of training right now. If you are competent in them already, incorporate the Olympic lifts. If not, don't stress too much about them either.
    ^^^^^ This.

Dont worry so much about curls and flys. Get your strength levels up, aim for Bench 1.5x BW, Squat 2xBW and Deadlift 2-2.5 x BW. Then once you get there, do more weight and more reps. Do this, eat a lot, and cut down on extra activities that dont promote strength/speed. You'll get big and strong.

Wannabebig New Member

Sooo..

Would a protein bar be a good enough mid meal or what?

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundWR View Post
    Would a protein bar be a good enough mid meal or what?
    Really depends. If your are lifting in the morning/early afernoon, anything is better than nothing. I wouldn't even waste my time with protein bars. Get some whey to mix up a shake, and throw some candy bars in there.[EDIT: not in the shake, just eat them] They'll taste a lot better, give more calories, and some sugar.

Honestly though, your performance is going to be more greatly affected by your strength in the big lifts than how much you eat, or how much muscle you can gain. I would just focus on getting stronger, and eating what you can. If you are making progress in the gym, that is all that matters.

What are your numbers for bench, squat, deadlift?
    Last edited by danki; 04-09-2013 at 06:07 PM.

I'm no expert but I would agree with Joey. Hit the big lifts, bench, squats, deads, overheads, and hit them hard. Do the other stuff after. I don't see any reason to go to the gym 3 times a day, just lift after school, at night. And NEVER trust those GNC guys!
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

To answer your mid meal question, it wouldn't be that hard for you to pack a Tupperware with some lean meat and rice.

Matt

I think his wanting to gain a few lbs is legit as most wide receivers are now 190+ and a lot of them are over 200 lbs.

That training schedule you laid out does not say what you are doing on what days?

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I think his wanting to gain a few lbs is legit as most wide receivers are now 190+ and a lot of them are over 200 lbs.

That training schedule you laid out does not say what you are doing on what days?
    That is mainly NFL and high level college football Chris. I do see your point though.

On top of the questions about current maxes, I also wonder what the op's 40 and shuttle times are.

Just get under the bar!