Thread: Spine hurts while squatting

Spine hurts while squatting

So I just got back into it after a 6 month hiatus due to work. Now, other than being incredibly weak, when I go to do back squats my spine hurts while squatting. It doesn't really hurt after at all, just when I am in the motion of squatting. The pain is right below the middle of my spine and it seems to get a little better during my workout. The thing I am worried about is if it is hurting now when I am barely doing any weight, could this be a symptom of a serious issue?

Any thoughts?

Are you doing any mobility work before squatting? This might alleviate some issues.

Matt

Started doing some foam rolling, not sure what else to do honestly

I posted this in another post.....

Well first of all I would consult you doctor to see if you are cleared to squat esp if its with weight. I have a few ideas for you, the first one being working on your flexibility and working your form with just body weight.

Video

I would start with this stretch and do it for 30-60 seconds. If you have a problem sitting in this bottom position use a 10lbs or a 25lbs plate as leverage.

Video

Now, your glutes and you piriformis could be so tight it could prevent you from shoving your knees out when you squat, which could be causing your knees to cave at the bottom of the squat.

Video

Next lets loosen up that hip flexors. This stretch I found is intense, but essential in doing before I squat. I would do this a couple times each leg because I have found the second time around I can sit deeper into the stretch. Tight hip flexor muscles will prevent your hip extensors from fully straightening your pelvis as you come out of the squat and move into an upright position. Tight hip flexors also pull on your pelvis as you squat and make it difficult to keep your back straight

These stretch will take time and you must be patient and persistent. Like I said before, make you consult your doctor before doing these stretches and squatting. These stretches will free up "slack" and hopefully allow you to achieve a pain free squat position.
    Last edited by Matthew Bryduck; 04-12-2013 at 01:25 PM.

You might be something as simple as building up small muscles etc. With that said, let us see your form. Take a video and post it here. If your form is poor then things will only get worse as you get stronger.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Well it seems like this was just from inactivity and sitting at a desk all the time. My 4th squat session back and I had no pain and my weight that I am squatting is finally getting back towards a respectable amount. I will definitely keep doing those mobility movements though, I can still use that for sure.

Last edited by Matthew Bryduck; 04-12-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    That one is freaking brutal (which of course means I need to do it more )

So I was having trouble with my back hurting in general lately, same pain reappeared that I posted about in the beginning and I seem to have cured it by either doing one of two things:

1. I started foam rolling the freaking hell out of my quads. I mean, one day I spent at least 10-15 minutes just rolling them out.
    2. I started doing some slow, controlled, heavy deadlifts. Instead of going at regular speed I really took my time, made sure everything in my form was perfect, and used a heavier weight but still light enough to allow me to really concentrate on my movement.

Those are the only two things I really changed and I think it is a combination of strengthening my lower back and maybe activating some muscles that have been inactive and loosening up my quads which should make my hips more mobile as well. Either way, interesting observations that might help some others.

Are you sure you're using the correct form. Your muscle should be taking up nearly all of the brunt, so feeling it in your spine could be a tell tale sign that you're not preforming the exercise correctly.

Then again, it may just take a few more weeks to get back in the routine to solve itself.
    If you're struggling to gain weight, let alone muscle, Click Here