Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testosterone Issue !

Wannabebig Member

Testosterone Issue !

Testosterone ! I am 48, would it be a good idea if I am wanting to get back into the gym to ask my MD to prescribe some to me? I mean would it help me in the process of body building????

Thank you....

You would only want to take exogenous testosterone if your natural level is low for your age.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

You have to get tested first to see where your levels are. Typically if your levels are under 500 then TRT will benefit you. Optimally they would be 700-800 and that usually takes about 100mg of test per week.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone who's 48 to have a lower test level than 500. However, I doubt a general doctor would even put you on trt, most want to fuck around with creams and gels, or just tell you that you're getting older and just deal with it. You would need to see an anti aging doctor to be put on trt, more than likely. It's my understanding that once you start it though, it's a lifelong deal. I tend to monitor my levels closely, low test scares the shit out of me.
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

Jeez I am 29 and just got tested at 330 ng/dl. I have all the symptoms that go with low T too. What is funny is that I was still "low normal" according to some ancient scale they still use, even though that scale does not go by age.

Luckily, even though I was "low normal", I was prescribed Axiron. I go "on" tonight for the first time. I really hope it works because the symptoms are getting so bad that it is affecting my professional life. Poor memory, poor focus, having to relearn things I was an expert at before, etc. It is frustrating.

Less importantly, I have had zero gains in the gym for 2.5 years now. Maybe some minor strength gains here and there, but any weight gain gets deposited as fat and when I diet back down, I look identical to the prior year.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 04-10-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Jeez I am 29 and just got tested at 330 ng/dl. I have all the symptoms that go with low T too. What is funny is that I was still "low normal" according to some ancient scale they still use, even though that scale does not go by age.

Luckily, even though I was "low normal", I was prescribed Axiron. I go "on" tonight for the first time. I really hope it works because the symptoms are getting so bad that it is affecting my professional life. Poor memory, poor focus, having to relearn things I was an expert at before, etc. It is frustrating.

Less importantly, I have had zero gains in the gym for 2.5 years now. Maybe some minor strength gains here and there, but any weight gain gets deposited as fat and when I diet back down, I look identical to the prior year.
    Mike some of that may just be you are nearing your genetic limit for carrying muscle too.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Mike some of that may just be you are nearing your genetic limit for carrying muscle too.
    True, but that's a tough pill to swallow.

I hope it works for you man
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

Quote Originally Posted by big ragu View Post
    I hope it works for you man
    Thanks!

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you all for the feedback, very educational....

Wannabebig Member
    If you go to your doctor stating you want to get bigger or lift weights, that will kill your chance of supplementation right from the start. If your primary care dr is a family practice, they will probably refer you to an endo or internal med dr. Remember, dr's want to make you normal by their standards. I would suggest you go to the dr and say you would like your t levels tested. If they ask why, go into low sex drive, less energy, etc. if you are low, the standard of care is to put you on a gel, not injectable. Before you pursue this, look at your family history for cancer (particularly prostate). If you are waking up 2 or more times at night to urinate, supplemental t is not worth the risk. I hope this info helps.

There are other things like free test etc., but that is low for your age. What is Axiron?

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    There are other things like free test etc., but that is low for your age. What is Axiron?
    Axiron is like Androgel, except it is 2% and it is applied under each armpit.

Axiron is like Androgel, except it is 2% and it is applied under each armpit.
    I see. I REALLY wish docs would just prescribe injections. The gels are crap. Stupid drug companies push them hence your doc pushes them.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I see. I REALLY wish docs would just prescribe injections. The gels are crap. Stupid drug companies push them hence your doc pushes them.
    I am just happy he prescribed anything.

Apparently Test C is the way to go, but I will take what I can get. It is very hard to find a Dr that will actually consider 330 test "low". My last Dr said I felt like shit because I "was stressed". I mean really? He didn't even bat an eye at my 318 ng/dl test at the time. He said it was "normal" because some arbitrary range said so.

I am just happy he prescribed anything.

Apparently Test C is the way to go, but I will take what I can get. It is very hard to find a Dr that will actually consider 330 test "low". My last Dr said I felt like shit because I "was stressed". I mean really? He didn't even bat an eye at my 318 ng/dl test at the time. He said it was "normal" because some arbitrary range said so.
    I understand and agree that is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    You have to get tested first to see where your levels are. Typically if your levels are under 500 then TRT will benefit you. Optimally they would be 700-800 and that usually takes about 100mg of test per week.
    Under what scale? I know each lab has different ranges...mine does '1000 ng/dL or less' for its reference range. Im at 640 ng/dL and was measured with the LCMSMS method..(whatever that means). I feel like it should be higher since I am 19. Can any clarify or help me better understand this?
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Under what scale? I know each lab has different ranges...mine does '1000 ng/dL or less' for its reference range. Im at 640 ng/dL and was measured with the LCMSMS method..(whatever that means). I feel like it should be higher since I am 19. Can any clarify or help me better understand this?
    You are totally fine. There is a range and you are well within the norm.

So yeah...got retested after a month and my total test has increased by 2200 ng/dl all the way to 2511. I am just using the minimum dosage on the Axiron.

What in the fuck. I do feel a LOT better, so I am not sure if I should lower the dosage down to try to get into a normal NON cycle range or just keep going with this since I basically have a low dose cycle for $20 a month.

So yeah...got retested after a month and my total test has increased by 2200 ng/dl all the way to 2511. I am just using the minimum dosage on the Axiron.

What in the fuck. I do feel a LOT better, so I am not sure if I should lower the dosage down to try to get into a normal NON cycle range or just keep going with this since I basically have a low dose cycle for $20 a month.
    What's the range the lab uses? I would imagine a number like that would have your doctor adjusting the dose. The lab I have is 200-700. Labs in the past I've seen 400-1000. Getting into the 2000 range seems way to high (Unless it's the range they use) for it to be healthy. I'm not an expert on anabolics so I'd wait and see what others have to say about it.
    Ban Censors Don’t Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

I've already weighed in elsewhere, but to repeat- there is no inherent harm to high levels like that- they're within 15-20% of the reference range for overly hormonal teenage males, so if you can tolerate what might be more oily than usual skin and are wary of high estrogen levels (even normal males can get minor gyno if they have testosterone on the higher range of normal, though this is usually found in those who also have higher than usual levels of body fat), then there is no harm.

Simply make sure to monitor your cholesterol levels and blood pressure, and there is zero cause for alarm.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I love how I'm back down to 1 post, incidentally. From over 10,000 to 1, back up to 200, now down to 1 again. lol.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    I love how I'm back down to 1 post, incidentally. From over 10,000 to 1, back up to 200, now down to 1 again. lol.
    How the hell did that happen? Lol

I agree on the higher test levels. I don't see much harm, in fact there's plenty of positives to having higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    they're within 15-20% of the reference range for overly hormonal teenage males, so if you can tolerate what might be more oily than usual skin
    Purchased wholesale supply of Benzoyl Peroxide, check
    Purchased 15 different deodorants to try to find one that actually works for more than 3 hours, check.
    Feel 10000x better, check
    Stomach reduction but no weight loss, check
    Last edited by FearFactory; 05-16-2013 at 07:57 AM.

When you say you feel so much better, what do you mean? How did you feel before compared to now?