Thread: DE Bench w/ Slingshot - Thoughts?

DE Bench w/ Slingshot - Thoughts?

What are your guys thoughts on this? I really enjoy speed bench but it pretty much crushes my shoulders and elbows. I did it with the slingshot yesterday and it felt alot better, but i need to use more weight obviously. I was also able to do more triples which brings me to my next question, specifically for Travis. Whats the average number of sets the guys do over there for speed work? I hear anywhere from 6 triples to 16 triples on Louies videos. I know its individual.
    2000 or bust

I think 9 sets is the standard now using a regular grip, slightly closer grip and slighlty wider grip.

What sling shot do you have? They have a light one meant for speed work so that you don't have to bump up the weights too much while getting some support.

I actually use a training partners because i really dont care for my RAM. I think its a regular one. Ive always done the 9 sets in the past. Index on smooth/rough, then in the middle, then pinky on the ring. I did 12 sets yesterday and it really hit my triceps nicely.
    2000 or bust

I don't care for the device.

If speed work is bothering your shoulders you probably need to adjust your technique.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

My bench technique is pretty good chris. Its the downward portion that bothers my shoulders and i have a short ROM too.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    My bench technique is pretty good chris. Its the downward portion that bothers my shoulders and i have a short ROM too.
    Let me ask you a question. If your technique is pretty good why are your shoulders bothering you when you bench? Did they bother you when you first started benching?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

We do 9 sets of triples or 5's just depending on where we are at and how we feel.

I would not use the slingshot for speed bench. One of the ideas is that you need to develop explosiveness from the bottom portion of the bench. It provides too much rebound to the point of taking that reaction away from the lifter.

It's not lifting the weight for you but it is taking that need for a quick reaction away from you.

If your shoulders are bothering you like that it sounds more like a flexibility issue rather than the speed bench. I'd work on some internal and external rotation stretches and lacrosse ball to help loosen them up before benching.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Chris - My shoulders dont hurt while benching. They hurt while speed benching and lowering the weight as fast as possible.

Travis - Your right. I thought this as well but i used it anyways. Next week i'm going to try just straight weight and then ill add a band the week after. My flexability does suck as well so your right on that lol.
    2000 or bust

Yeah try the stretching and I'd bet it clears up fairly quickly. I've had that pain before.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Yeah it blows it was worse over a year ago but my chiro/rehab doctor hit me with that electric stim thing twice a week and it helped.
    2000 or bust

When I have an aching bodypart, I do one of two things. I either don't do things that hurt it, or go find out what's wrong with it, and get it fixed.

I am doing speed bench with Josh right now, albeit somewhat different than traditional. I do all my benching on the same day. My pec/shoulder/bicep tendon issue is much less of a problem benching only once a week. Then again, I'm getting pretty old.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

We actually switched all our bench to one day a week but i added in speed work on the second day rather then rep work. It goes triples w/ close grip then triples off 3 board then shirt and or/reverse bands. Pretty intense but i feel fine come speed day.
    2000 or bust