The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Warmups for Bench Training

How do you guys warm up for bench training?

When I first started I'd really not do anything. As time went on though I slowly accumulated more bodily abuse that I needed to take care of to prevent a serious injury.

I usually start with some internal and external rotation stretching for about 5-10minutes, then move on to indian club swings for about 2min, some light pushdowns for a set of 30 and sometimes lacrosseball massage on the shoulders and forearms.

I'm training early in the morning as well which makes a difference. I haven't been moving around all day, rather I've been sitting in my truck for 2hrs driving and I'm usually stiff.

This stuff has greatly alleviated a lot of injuries during training. My shoulders feel good most days, elbows feel good etc. But it's boring and sometimes I like to change it up so I'm interested in seeing what you all do.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I am a novice lifter but I usually did a set of external rotations just to warm up the rotator cuffs and then I would do a lengthy warmup on the bench with small increments. If I was to be attempt a new max of 220 I would warm up this way:
    Bar◊10+
    65 lbs◊8-10
    95 lbs◊8-10
    115 lbs◊8-10
    135◊6-8
    155◊5
    185◊5
    200◊3
    2 sets of 210◊2
    220 1RM attempt
    Murderous's Progress To A 1000lb Raw Total

Health and Fitness Articles

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10

Yeah I'm more talking about the stuff before benching.

Most people start with the bar and work their way up, although there was a time when I didn't do that even lol.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Dr. Subtotal
    I do some thoracic extension work, some pull aparts and face pulls with a small band, some YTWLs and some general traction work on the shoulders to add to what Travis put down. Pretty much enough to get a light sweat going before I even hit the bench.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

I have a warm up routine that Mike Robertson made for me. Its 10 movements of 1 set of 10 each. I then hit the rollers on my hips and back. Nothing major. 10 passes each. I then hit the strick on my arms and a lacrosse ball on my delts and pecks. Nothing major here either. About 10 second per area.

I then hit the indian clubs for about 20 swings each shoulder and then Im good to go.

It seems like overkill but after I tore my shoulder in 2009 it takes me this long to get it lose and ready to lift.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I usually strech my shoulders out a little and then do some side laterals, front laterals, and rotator cuff. After that ill do light pushdowns and some light pulldowns. Ill strech my hips out a little bit and do the bar. Ill simply load my max attempt for the day after that and bench it. Just kidding.
    2000 or bust

Warmups other than getting under the bar? Fuck, I don't do anything. Just start real light and work up a bit. Sounds like I need to makes some changes...........
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

I have really refined my warmup in the past couple of years. It includes foam rolling, dynamic stretching, and some lightweight exercises. It takes about 15 minutes if I keep a good pace. I usually have a good sweat going and am breathing just a little heavy. The only other thing I'll add is some jumps or med ball slams if I feel like jumpstarting my cns.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

foam rolling, dynamic stretching, band pullaparts, band dislocates, and some banded traction work for shoulders. Usually good to go then.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

I dont roll or stretch before i bench, and the days i do bench its always done first, so for me its actually kind ov a nice break to just be able to walk into the gym and start benching. For EVERYTHING else i do there is considerable stretching and mobility work to do beforehand... on Olympic days usually an hour before i even touch a bar.

I start with a rotator cuff circuit done with (always) 5lb plates. Side raises x10, rear delt raises x10, 'backhand' raises x10, and the 'Hey mister... wanna buy an 8?' 'raises x10. Then i bench the bar 20 times playing with different grips to hit everything.

That whole deal i repeat three times. Rotators happy now, and in 8 years never hurt a rotator once.

Then i go (assuming a max ov say, 440):
    135x10
    185x4
    225x2 'Warm-up' is pretty much done now. Rest is just acclimation.
    275x1 Start pausing here.
    315x1
    345x1
    365x1
    385x1
    405x1
    425x1 Or 'daily max' x1

I always work to a 'daily max', then drop down and do whatever set/rep scheme is programmed. Occasionally i'll do a 3-board daily max and then a 5-board daily max after the big single... (on the above scheme say maybe 455 and 485lbs), though nothing really taxing, just enough to feel some real weight. I like about 10 sets to hit my max... greases the groove quite nicely.