Thread: HEAVY dumbbells and the setup/release?

HEAVY dumbbells and the setup/release?

So I decided to do dumbbells instead of barebell bench for my chest this week.

First, I was surprised how much more I could lift. Total combined weight (Bar included) seemed to be higher with the dumbbells. Still, I ran into a bit of a problem:

Without a 'spotter' what is a safe way to get into the proper position for the lift, and how do you safely let go of the dumbbells without causing injury to your arms? Today, knowing that I could easily hurt myself, I placed mats next to me and released 1 at a time without putting much of an 'extension' on my arms, then doing the other. Still, I wonder if there is a better, safer way? To both start and stop with heavy weights...
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5Nw_QBA9A

You can also use a partner if you don't train alone.

It seems odd to me that you can use more weight with dumbells. Most can do more with a barbell since there is less stability with a dumbell.

Wannabebig Member
    I can do more with DB's over the BB bench too, but thats because I trained with DB's for about a year before I switched over to the BB bench. As far as releasing the weights goes I always try to teach people to pinch your elbows to your side as you drop them to the floor. I've been using this technique for 100+ db's and I never have any issues. For me though, if I can't get the weight up on my own with DB's I don't do it. I would rather drop the weight again and build up gradually so I can support it on my own.

The most effective technique I use is to sit down and put the DB's on your knee's and simultaneously (spell check) as you lean back kick your knees upwards to give them some momentum to assist yourself. I'm a bit different though with my starting position as I've had a rotator injury in the past so I push them to the top possition to start from, because having them rest down too close to my shoulders causes some discomfort.

I personally don't like these but food for thought.

Video

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5Nw_QBA9A

You can also use a partner if you don't train alone.

It seems odd to me that you can use more weight with dumbells. Most can do more with a barbell since there is less stability with a dumbell.
    Alright, so that's a great way to start. What happens if your at the bottom of your rep and not able to get it back up?

I put both DBs on my knees and kick up both at the same time and lean back slowly onto the bench. This allows me to get a negative on the first rep.

LOl @ Ronnie's pants, but I do it like this and it works great.

My question is why are you worried about how heavy the weight is? You should be focusing on your form, control of the movement, and stretch and contraction if the muscle. I rarely go heavy and I can still bench around 400lbs. Hypertrophy is the key and the sooner you realize it, the sooner you will grow.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    My question is why are you worried about how heavy the weight is? You should be focusing on your form, control of the movement, and stretch and contraction if the muscle. I rarely go heavy and I can still bench around 400lbs. Hypertrophy is the key and the sooner you realize it, the sooner you will grow.

Matt
    I'm worried about weight because the following happened:

I knew how much I could bench under the bar. I wasn't sure how that would translate to dumbbells. I started light, no issues. It was much lighter and easier than expected but I decided to slowly go up from where I started. Once I got to the weight that I was lifting with the bar, it was becoming increasingly more difficult to get into position and out. Not wanting to drop the weights and tear of my arm, I was wondering if there was a proper way to start and finish with heavy weights. Once the weights are up and I'm benching, all is good. Once I get to my final set is when, if on the bar, I have the safety bars in place in case I can't make that 'one' rep of the last set. I don't have that safety bar with the dumbbells, thus the question as to what to do with it.

If I finish my set with the dumbbells up, I now understand (From the video by Rip) what to do. But what happens if you can't get that last rep up or maybe you get stuck at the 2nd or 3rd rep of the last set (Not enough energy) and you're stuck at the bottom of the ROM?

A couple of notes: I found that walk away from dumbbells with my forearms feeling blasted, more so than when on bar bench press. Trainer at the gym says my form looks better with the dumbbells than with the bar. I still need to get a video (Will of both if I can). I 'feel' safe with the bar since I have the safety bars...just a mental thing. Another reason for using the dumbbells is that on certain days the bars are all taken up and I need to get my routine done, so I go with the dumbbells.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    If I do DB bench, after the last rep I bring the DBs back down to my body and then I sit up. Why is this so hard for people? Dropping the dumbells is one of the most douchey things anyone can do in a gym. It loosens up the dumbells and it just leaves the chance for bouncing and hitting someone. Don't be that guy.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    If I do DB bench, after the last rep I bring the DBs back down to my body and then I sit up. Why is this so hard for people? Dropping the dumbells is one of the most douchey things anyone can do in a gym. It loosens up the dumbells and it just leaves the chance for bouncing and hitting someone. Don't be that guy.
    That's the thing, I tried sitting up with them on my chest, but couldn't get the momentum to bring myself up (First time in that situation). I realized that I had no mats to soften the fall of the dumbbells and that just releasing them would either injury myself or someone around me. So I leaned over to my left and slowly brought the DB down and managed to set it down and did the same on the right. While I managed to keep anyone else from getting hurt, I could still see how this might injury my arms.

Agree, I have never once had to drop them and I am doing more than 95% of ppl in that gym.

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    That's the thing, I tried sitting up with them on my chest, but couldn't get the momentum to bring myself up (First time in that situation). I realized that I had no mats to soften the fall of the dumbbells and that just releasing them would either injury myself or someone around me. So I leaned over to my left and slowly brought the DB down and managed to set it down and did the same on the right. While I managed to keep anyone else from getting hurt, I could still see how this might injury my arms.
    Use your legs to gain momentum and you should just fly up.

Wannabebig New Member
    Well said. It is douchey lol.

I also don't drop my dumbbells - when on my last rep and when the DB' are at the top (or as close as I can get to it), I just reverse the motion that I used to get them up in the first place. I pivot them so that the butt ends land softly on my knees and use that whole momentum to get back up. If I can't get them up or down with nice form, then I do a lighter manageable weight until I can and work my way up. Not rocket science.

The other thing about dropping DB's is that some types can get a bend in the handle which is really annoying.