Thread: Eating meals in the middle of the night

Eating meals in the middle of the night

I currently work 3rd shift and I am having some problems when I eat. 9 times out of 10 I can work the whole shift and feel completely fine. Not get too tired, no trouble staying awake, etc.

However, I find that once I eat something I become very very drowsy. Like I fall asleep while talking to someone kind of drowsy. Most of the time I'm too lazy to bring better food to work, so I just eat left overs from where I work. Its mostly cafeteria food, something kids would eat during school.

Even when I work out before work and take my shake, I get really really tired for about an hour, then things get back to normal. I don't know if it is because I am eating too many carbs late at night, or maybe too much sugar. Beats me.

So what should I do to make this not such an issue? Should I stick with more protein solid food, or maybe avoid eating during night? Any input would be appreciated.
    Ty
    BW 210 HT 6'
    BP 315x4 365x1
    S 315x6
    DL 405x5

Maybe your carb sensitive? I would try and stick with protein and veggies late at night, and see if that helps. There is nothing worse than being at work and not being able to stay awake. I feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tykimeister View Post
    I currently work 3rd shift and I am having some problems when I eat. 9 times out of 10 I can work the whole shift and feel completely fine. Not get too tired, no trouble staying awake, etc.

However, I find that once I eat something I become very very drowsy. Like I fall asleep while talking to someone kind of drowsy. Most of the time I'm too lazy to bring better food to work, so I just eat left overs from where I work. Its mostly cafeteria food, something kids would eat during school.

Even when I work out before work and take my shake, I get really really tired for about an hour, then things get back to normal. I don't know if it is because I am eating too many carbs late at night, or maybe too much sugar. Beats me.

So what should I do to make this not such an issue? Should I stick with more protein solid food, or maybe avoid eating during night? Any input would be appreciated.
    Ty
    So your lethargy is dependent on meal content more so than timing? Change your meal content.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 05-17-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Have you tried eating different foods to see if it makes a difference?

Wannabebig New Member
    You need to be watching what you eat, food that takes a lot of energy to digest is going to make you more tired because your body is going to be focussing all of its energy there. If you eat food that is easier to digest then you won't get so tired and should be able to power through, also try watching what hot drinks you're having, try switching to green tea only when you're working as then your body will be in the routine of working without caffine.
    I really want to get big and build myself up using a combination of protein powders and bodybuilding supplements.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Are you at all lactose intolerant?
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive