The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Advice on Incorporating bands/chains

I've been training a long time. Currently doing Crossfit at an affiliate 3 days/week and doing 5/3/1 throughout the rest of the week. My numbers are DL 475, Squat 385, BP 330. I have a power rack in my garage and would like to incorporate bands/chains into my DL, Squat, and Benchpresses. What's is a good resource for getting started? I have limited knowledge but definitely see that it could benefit me. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Louie Simmons is the guy that brought bands and chains to the forefront. Check out his web pages: www.westside-barbell.com and www.louiesimmons.net Lots of free stuff.

Also google Dave Tate's Periodization Bible, he lays out some of the basics and trained at Westside.

Typically they use bands and chains in 3 ways:
    1.) To enhance max effort training (hitting singles in variations of the squat, bench and deadlift with/without chains/bands).

2.) With typical assistance work to really work weaknesses. If you have a weak lock out you can add bands or chains to hit that end range of motion.

3.) For speed/dynamic work--this is probably where it is most innovative. The idea is to use lighter weights with accommodating resistance (bands/chains) to build speed. The idea being that max effort work builds brute strength while the speed work/dynamic work builds the ability to use that strength quickly. If you build both speed and strength you should be a more powerful athlete.

So the Westside Template is a Max Effort lower body day, a Max Effort Upper Body day and a Lower Body Dynamic Day and a Upper Body Dynamic Day.

ME day is:
    Max Effort Lift, work up to 3-4 heavy singles, trying to hit a PR. Vary the lift every week.
    Then do assistance work 2-4 exercises typically for 2-4 sets of 6-12 reps hitting your weak spots if identified.

DE day is:
    DE work bench 9 sets of 3 reps at 55% of raw 1RM plus bands or chains
    DE work squat--box squat 8-12 sets of 2 reps at 50-60% plus bands or chains
    DE work deadlift 6-10 singles or doubles at 60-80% plus bands chains
    Then assistance work, 2-4 exercises 2-4 sets of 8-15 reps.