Thread: Who here naps

Who here naps

Yesterday I was supposed to either condition or perform a recovery activity. There was no part of me that wanted to do either. I remember watching one of Mark Bell's vids talking about Stan Efferding and his push towards his last meet. Mark talked about how Stan incorporated naps into his program.

So I decided to take a nap instead of forcing myself to do something I really did not want to do. Man, it felt awesome. I either train, condition, or perform some type of recovery each day. Of course I won't nap instead of train. However, I will now use a nap as a viable option instead of the usual recovery option or even conditioning if I'm not in the mood.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I try to, Vinnie, but whenever I sleep during the day I always feel SHATTERED when I wake up, no idea why.

Always happens. Feel tired, nothing to do, take a nap. Wake up feeling worse than before, haha!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

I'm with Gareth on this.
    This happens to me about once a month, usually on monday: I come home from work, at about 7pm; I have to put my stuff in the gym bag and hit the weights; but the "call of the bed" is strong, and I can't resist laying down "for a short nap".
    I usually wake up 4 hours later, completely numb but angry as hell because of my idiocy: training session is gone, and going back to sleep almost pointless for another 3 hours, so the next day I'm even MORE f*cked up.

So no, no naps for me!

Quite common for me to nap in the middle of the day. I work a split shift though so my lifestyle is very accommodating to doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by GazzyG View Post
    I try to, Vinnie, but whenever I sleep during the day I always feel SHATTERED when I wake up, no idea why.

Always happens. Feel tired, nothing to do, take a nap. Wake up feeling worse than before, haha!
    This is EXACTLY what happens to me! I can't nap, I wake up moody as fuck
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

You guys might want to try setting an alarm for your nap. They recommend all different times for naps. I napped for 1.5 hrs yesterday. That allows you to get through a full cycle of sleep.

I don't think I would normally try to nap on the day of training for fear of being groggy.

Things might also be different for me. I am noticing as I have gotten older, I need more sleep to recover for training and life.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

While my gym workload is not as much as most of you guys, I find that 8 hours of sleep per night gives me plenty of energy to get through the day, my workouts, etc. If I nap for 10 mins, an hour, or whatever it completely ruins the rest of my day. I will say that the older I get the more I require that 8 hours. I used to do the same on 4 hours.
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

20 minute nap can the trick. Lay on your floor, flat on your back.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    15 mins to half an hour most afternoons (well, probably every second day, often an hour or two after training) helps me and has for a while. It's not something i plan, I just fall asleep. It does help though and backs up something I was taught years ago in school -15 minute power naps to refresh your mind -any more would lead to you going into too deeper sleep which means you would be groggy after. 15-30 mins is just enough to refresh you. You could try an alarm but whenever I try to organise it that much I then can't get to sleep.

I havent had a mid day nap in 8 months since kid number two was born. I also havent had a full night sleep without being worken up atleast once a night during that time either. I guess all Im saying is that Im jealous!
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

What sort of rep range do you guys use on your nap?

Will high reps promote more hypertrophy for naps?
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

I'll usually take a nap whenever the baby takes a nap.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

I train Saturday and Sunday morning. I love to eat then nap after.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I end up taking a quick power nap every time my wife starts talking to me about the Jodi Arias trial.

I always find that if I nap for about 20 minutes it is a great recharge after the initial wake up grogginess. If I sleep longer than 20 minutes than I better make it a full sleep because I feel worse afterwards.

Wannabebig Member

Naps are awesome

I am retired so I get a nap in every day, it's one of the only skills I learned in the Army that still benefit me (never pass up the opportunity to get some sleep) I try to limit it to a 30-45 minute snooze, I usually feel great afterwards.

Every day. I only get 5-6 hours of sleep at night and that is not enough for me. My naps are anywhere from 30 min. to a little over an hour. I usually do it around 4-6P.M.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member

Naps

I work nights on 12 hours shifts. The days I am not working I sleep at night. Naps play a huge roll in my recovery for training and ability to function (politely) with society.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Walker View Post
    I work nights on 12 hours shifts. The days I am not working I sleep at night. Naps play a huge roll in my recovery for training and ability to function (politely) with society.
    Great to see you post here. Awesome response about the "politely" funcitioning in society. I have to work on that on a daily basis.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 05-01-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks for joining Chad!

I take naps on nearly everyone of my days off.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #2 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    www.fuelthedesire.com THE ALPHA PROJECT
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Nitrean Plus, BCAA, Multi Plus, Fish Oil, ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

I work the road. We rotate between night and dayshift every 14 days. Night shifts are usually 6p-4a or so. I try not to sleep during the day so even when I get home between 4-5a, I'll only sleep until 8a or so. I very rarely get more than 6hrs of total sleep (split between a few hours continuous and then one nap).

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

i take a 2 hour nap every saturday/sunday, its awesome.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

fri/sat/sun if I don't feel like doing anything at all with myself I'll take a nap, usually that means I need some serious rest. Weekdays I just force myself to get stuff done, not enough time m-th to take a nap, rare occasion fall asleep for 15 minutes, but usually if I go try to take a nap in the evening I'm out for a really long time. Get 5-6 hours of sleep a night, If I'm lucky it will be uninterrupted. Occasional 3 hours due to work is the worst. Been getting sick a lot because of it.

Naps are great, I would get more if I could. I used to have a job with two set 15 minute break periods, napped through both of them and it was amazing.