The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: BBB Deadlifts?

BBB Deadlifts?

Question: Can anyone see any limitations / contraindications for training deads with BBB (5 sets X 10 reps after 5/3/1)?

Thoughts: I think I understand the general purpose/s behind BBB but wonder sometimes about its applicability to certain lifts like the deadlift, where lower volume/rep training is pervasive and often most productive.

Additionally, is there not a point where one should not be pulling quite so much weight for reps i.e. progressed to a BBB deadlift of "X"%body weight?
    Last edited by 700; 04-25-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    "Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness" - Edward Stanley

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    If it was me I would use stiff legged deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts or good mornings for the 5x10, probably all three, rotated every cycle or two. Target the same muscles without running into the technique issues often associated with high rep deadlifts. Trap bar deadlifts could be another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatfish View Post
    If it was me I would use stiff legged deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts or good mornings for the 5x10, probably all three, rotated every cycle or two. Target the same muscles without running into the technique issues often associated with high rep deadlifts. Trap bar deadlifts could be another option.
    Might have to try GMs and something else; I already use RDLs on Squat Day so I can DL twice a week. Thanks man!
    "Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness" - Edward Stanley

BBB and 5/3/1 are supposedly some of the most popular routines out there.... anyone else have thoughts on this question? Thanks!

I did BBB Deads for a while. Killer back pump.

Felt more like conditioning to me rather than a useful deadlift exercise, though. If there's a weight light enough that you can move it for 5 sets of 10, it's probably not heavy enough, in my opinion, not for the back at least.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by 700 View Post
    Might have to try GMs and something else; I already use RDLs on Squat Day so I can DL twice a week. Thanks man!
    Why do 5x10 RDL's and 5x10 regular deadlifts?

Doesn't Wendler recommend doing 5x10 squat move on one day and 5x10 deadlift move on the other? Some do it right after the exact same movement and others switch it up (5/3/1 squat then 5x10 squats vs. 5/3/1 squat then 5x10 deadlifts).

He has recommended doing 5x10 deadlifts, but I wonder if it would be overkill to have both RDL's and DLs.

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    Why do 5x10 RDL's and 5x10 regular deadlifts?

Doesn't Wendler recommend doing 5x10 squat move on one day and 5x10 deadlift move on the other? Some do it right after the exact same movement and others switch it up (5/3/1 squat then 5x10 squats vs. 5/3/1 squat then 5x10 deadlifts).

He has recommended doing 5x10 deadlifts, but I wonder if it would be overkill to have both RDL's and DLs.
    I squat 5x10 on squat day also. BBB is two assistance moves.

Quote Originally Posted by GazzyG View Post
    I did BBB Deads for a while. Killer back pump.

Felt more like conditioning to me rather than a useful deadlift exercise, though. If there's a weight light enough that you can move it for 5 sets of 10, it's probably not heavy enough, in my opinion, not for the back at least.
    I feel like this is true... but not sure why; couldn't you say the same thing about 5x10 squats?

I squat 5x10 on squat day also. BBB is two assistance moves.
    Check out one of his latest posts on his website:

http://www.jimwendler.com/2013/05/boring-but-big/

Yeah, you can do 2 assistance but usually it is 5/3/1 Lift, assistance lift then accessory lift.

I feel like this is true... but not sure why; couldn't you say the same thing about 5x10 squats?
    Exactly the same with squats, too. I'm sure they're both awesome for hypertrophy, but I do know that I lost a lot of max strength on BBB. Depends what you're after/horses for courses/your mileage may vary etc etc lol.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk