The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Let's talk BACK

Let's talk BACK

I'm curious as to what the opinions on back training are here. What are your favorite back exercises? What's worked best for you? What rep ranges are most effective? Feel free to post your favorite back program, I'd be interested to see what people have to say.

As for me, pullups have never really done the trick for lats. The Hammer Strength iso-lateral pulldown, with moderately high reps, is the best lat exercise I've found. For the rest of the back, t-bar rows and rack pulls have given me the best results in the past.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Most of the stuff you mentioned but one of my new favorites lately is doing rack pulls from knee height but with a wide snatch grip. The wide snatch grip forces me to fully contract my lats before even moving the bar (basically it looks like your doing a lat spread), I do 3 sets of this a little after deads for 6-8 reps with moderate weight. Has put on a lot of thickness on my back in a very short amount of time.

The snatch grip variation sounds like an interesting way to activate the lats, I'll have to give it a try. Anyone else?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I do heavy deadlifts in many variations all the time, but I would say 90% of the rest of my back training for the past few years has been Overhand or neutral grip chins and CSR's. I think those 3 things will pretty much cover everything.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Back is one of my strongest points (note - avi is about 2 years old), and I really don't do anything special for it. I only hit it once a week, and besides deadlifts I really only do 1 or 2 accessory exercises. I put a ton of mass on my lats doing nothing but wide grip pulldowns for a couple years. Lately I've been doing bent over rows. I'll also do some low/close grip rows once in a while.

I would say the majority of my thickness/mass is simply from dead lifting. I pull conventional so that probably makes a pretty big difference.
    Last edited by Invain; 04-25-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

My upper back was at its best when I could do wide grip chins (behind the neck) and would follow that with t-bar or chest supported rows and then some sort of high cable row.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

For lats the good old Nautilus Pullover or a bastardized variant like closegrip/reverse grip lat pulldowns seem to hit it hard.

There is a great routine up here called Baby Got Back. I stayed on that for most of 2012, and it really did bring up my back.

My Back Day currently looks like this:
    Chinups (palms toward face) 5 x max
    1 Arm DB Rows (as heavy as possible): 3x12
    T-Bar Rows: 5x10
    Cross Face Hammer Curls 3x10
    Standing EZ Bar Curls: 2 x max
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Apart from the obvious one the deadlift and it's variations(snatch grip, romanian) I like to do all kinds of rows.

Close grip underhand rows with 3x3, 3x4, 3x5 or 4x5 rep range.

T Bar rows with 3x5 or 3x6

Pendlay rows I've tried going for sets of 3 but the weight just breaks down form so I like to do 3x5

Yesterday I added a new row variation: Close grip Pendlay rows on mats. Feeling it in upper back on lats. This will be a mainstay in my back arsenal. 4x5 here for some volume.

Still weak tho so none of this probably matters.
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    T-Bar Rows, Pullups and Face Pulls.
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Chin ups of all grips, reps between 4-10 depending on cycle of week. Same goes for barbell rows.

Single leg or regular db arc rows.
    Last edited by Jonathan E; 04-26-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Deadlifts. BB Rows. Reps usually 3-8.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

I would try and hit the back from as many angles as possible. I try to think about retraction and pronation of the scapula with all my back movements.

I generally train higher reps with back exercises. It's one of my favourite bodyparts to train so I like to use a lot of variety. Seated cable rows, lat pulldowns, chins and BB rows (all done with varying grips) are staples in my training.

Since I workout at home, one of my favorite exercises to do are weighted pull ups. I do 3 sets of 10, using different hand positions for each set.

I simply use a backpack with 15kgs and a door pull up bar.