Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training....Biceps??

Training....Biceps??

I don't know why it is but I HATE training biceps. I just dont care.

What is your approach to training biceps, if at all?

I see the merit in training them to avoid injury in deadlifting or even benching, but how far do you take it?

Specific isolation movements or just lots of rowing stuff?

Forearm strength is one thing I've had to pay attention to more specifically to avoid injury, although maybe that's from a bicep weakness? Who knows lol.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I curl on bench days. It seems to keep me from getting elbow tendonitis. Besides, my arms are small enough as it is. I always have to get the sleeves on bench shirts made smaller.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

i have a specific arm day where i train bi's and tri's. My routines are a lot more volume and less weight which works well for me. Tendinitis seems to kick in when I start using more weight less volume
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

The day after I bench, I come in and do some stretching, foam rolling, all that kind of stuff. Then I do a few sets of hammer curls. I normally do them seated to put less strain on my back because I squat the following day. Might do a few seats of preacher curls for the heck of it. Then I hit some rear delt stuff and go home. Normally about an hr workout, just try to get blood moving. I have always thought hammer curls helped me control the bench some.
    best single ply meet lifts 850-670-685 best total 2170
    Multiply meet lifts 1003-700-677-2380

I always hated training biceps and did it rarely. Since the complete rupture and repair of the left and partial of the right, I realized I need to train them. If I don't get a couple sets of work a few days a week, my biceps are in bad repair.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I do a few sets of DB hammer curls a week usually on bench days to keep my elbows healthy and happy. Other than that I feel they get worked more than enough on my rowing movements.

I work them like most other muscle groups. 2x a week, usually 1 or 2 exercises. I rotate between heavy barbell curls and higher volume db curls. I'll even do some ME stuff like 3 rep max with barbell curl just as I would with something like bench or squat.

A) No matter how much you want to deny it, the first thing women look at are your arms
    B) I've seen too many bicep rupture videos
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

i HATE...HATE training biceps. All i feel is a burn in my front delt and this is doing them strict with little weight. Ill do three sets of hammer curls for 12-20 reps at the end of a bench day. I probably should train them more because i have pathetically small arms.
    2000 or bust

Will do 2 sets at the end of my upper body session, usually after or superseted with a tri exercise. Do chins which hit them on my overhead press day also.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

6-10 sets once per week. always start with a hammer curl, then whatever exercise i think of after that.

dont understand how people dont like training biceps! not many people out there who dont want bigger arms...
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

I'll do DB hammer curls on my bench days and curls (with a straight bar or EZ curl bar) on my accessory day. Nothing crazy, usually about 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps and done!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Most bicep hate is just a weird version of strength-hipster where its uncool to train them. I don't think a "bicep day" is ever necessary but stronger biceps can never hurt, and da womenz..
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 04-30-2013 at 09:45 PM.

I train them on my day for arms and hit them with 20-25 sets.

I think men notice other mens biceps more than women notice them hahaha.

I work my bi's on my ME and DE days with bench. I always do preacher curls with EZ bar inner and outer grips.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

5'`9.5" 238
    Comp Lifts
    2ply Squat 550 10/17/09 Bench 470 10/17/09 DL 480 10/17/09
    Raw Squat 550 10/26/2013 Bench 425 5/14/11 DL 530 10/26/2013

Marcus mentioned it above, as did someone else, but i'm starting to think i should focus more on them just to stave off this REALLY fucking annoying elbow BS i've started to get the past year or so. I DONT want to become one ov those benchers that cant fully straighten out their arms, but thats what it feels like is happening. Too much tricep work possibly? There was little over a full year last year where i couldn't do ANY bicep work... due to screwy forearm tendons (injuries from another hell altogether). Thats about when all this started to happen. Hmmm...

I also know that before i hurt my forearms and did a LOT ov bicep work (to balance the tricep work), i was benching AS much, with 19.5" arms, and had ZERO elbow issues or grief. I think my arms are definitely big enough for now... so i skip out on the bicep work a lot now... but maybe i shouldn't...???

As for beginners and intermediate benchers, i think that biceps are important to train... for overall mass (mass moves weight), and bar control. I've always had big arms and my paused bench has always been very close to my touch and go.

I do reverse grip curls and hammer curls. I'm training my grip with my biceps being a secondary muscle group is what I tell myself. It makes it more palatable, plus my arms look good as a side benefit.
    Last edited by dynamo; 05-03-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

i've learned the hard way that you have to train biceps. In the past I went for years and did nothing for them but heavy rows. The last year my right elbow (The one I f'd up the radial/lateral collateral ligament in) bothered me more and more and more. My right grip also got worse.

I realized that maybe working biceps would help both, so I added in lights sets of curls to warm up before bench and at least 4-5 sets once a week to finish (Usually dumbbell curls, keeping them light--60-70 lb dumbells, no more than 150-170 lbs with ez bar x sets of 12-15 or so) and really working on supinating, pronating my forearm as I'm curling with the dumbells. Since doing that and adding in specific extensor work, almost all forearm pain is gone. the elbow is still tender, but I've got full ROM back.

It is those little things that will make or break you.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    i've learned the hard way that you have to train biceps. In the past I went for years and did nothing for them but heavy rows. The last year my right elbow (The one I f'd up the radial/lateral collateral ligament in) bothered me more and more and more. My right grip also got worse.
    Grip thing aside, this sounds like me. Only i only stopped training biceps because i had to. I hit them very hard my first 6 years.

I realized that maybe working biceps would help both, so I added in lights sets of curls to warm up before bench and at least 4-5 sets once a week to finish (Usually dumbbell curls, keeping them light--60-70 lb dumbells, no more than 150-170 lbs with ez bar x sets of 12-15 or so) and really working on supinating, pronating my forearm as I'm curling with the dumbells. Since doing that and adding in specific extensor work, almost all forearm pain is gone. the elbow is still tender, but I've got full ROM back.

It is those little things that will make or break you.
    Light biceps BEFORE benching... Interesting...

I'm gonna start training biceps seriously when my shoulder heals up.

I trained them some times, but not enough and this shows on my arms now. My biceps are small and weak compared to my triceps. For anyone who likes close grip bench please train biceps as they're stressed more with the close grip and can lead to injury if weak.

I liked doing 2 sets of 5 heavy reps after my bench and row workout.
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

On speed day superset de bench with it. So for 9 sets, I'll do a set of 8 reps or so, using a few exercises. I do a set of Bench, walk over do the curls, walk back and it's time for my next set.

On max effort day I superset my tricep work with biceps.

For those of you who are doing a significant amount of bicep work (more than once a week and multiple exercises) why?

Sometimes I feel that's the hardest part of being motivated to do them is outside of rehab and prehab they really don't help me.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I agree with Travis. I was sitting there doing rope curls yesterday saying to my partners "WTF is this doing for me?". Ill stick to pullups for biceps.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    For those of you who are doing a significant amount of bicep work (more than once a week and multiple exercises) why?
    Because like any other muscle group, the more you work it, the more it will grow. My arms used to be pathetic until I started hitting bi's and tri's twice a week, with lots of volume.

Like I said in my earlier post, some of us care about appearance more than others. Powerlifting is my focus, but I still like to have a balanced physique. I guess I should say, I definitely do not lift weights for women, but I at least do curls for them, and from my experience, they appreciate it
    Last edited by Invain; 05-06-2013 at 06:50 AM.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

Sometimes I feel that's the hardest part of being motivated to do them is outside of rehab and prehab they really don't help me.
    We joke in the gym that the number one reason to do a lot of biceps work is to "make the bench shirt tighter". There is some truth in that.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I always hated training biceps and did it rarely. Since the complete rupture and repair of the left and partial of the right, I realized I need to train them. If I don't get a couple sets of work a few days a week, my biceps are in bad repair.
    I tore my left bicep at the elbow last year. looking forward to deadlifting and benching again finally any advise from your experience you could give me?, or anything i could help you with its been hard to find people with this injury to talk to about it