Thread: Who trains like a bodybuilder

Who trains like a bodybuilder

Had Jim Grandick on Just Big last night. He talked about how he does a 5 day split. He also came from a bb background. Jim is a pretty muscular guy to say the least. Just curious on thoughts about hitting the main lifts and treating the rest of your training like a bb.

Already thinking about my routine for when I go down to the 242's. At least that's my plan after the WS Pro Invitational this summer.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I guess i kind of train like a bb for assistance. I like doing tricep deaths off boards for higher reps on the bench, heavy high rep shoulder presses, 100 rep pushdowns, high rep squats, and we do alot of high rep snatch grip deadlifts which are BADASS.
    2000 or bust

By training like a bb would you include things like slow reps and other stuff like that?

Don't want to sound like a bastard, but wouldn't you just train for your sport? Some bb methods seem counter productive to me for sports like powerlifting.
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Had Jim Grandick on Just Big last night. He talked about how he does a 5 day split. He also came from a bb background. Jim is a pretty muscular guy to say the least. Just curious on thoughts about hitting the main lifts and treating the rest of your training like a bb.

Already thinking about my routine for when I go down to the 242's. At least that's my plan after the WS Pro Invitational this summer.

haha I'm glad this is sitting in the back of your mind. That is going to be a stupid competitive meet. I think we will see some serious benching there.

I guess you could look at some of the Westside type training as bodybuilding. Just in the way it's broken down into accessory movements and the way they are hammered.

To me though I look at BB training as each bodypart having almost it's own day. But I know there are BB programs out there that don't break it up like that.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    I remember being pretty surprised when I was getting help from Shawn Frankl for a meet. The big iron split was pretty much straight bodybuilding but linearly periodized big 3 plus overload work.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    haha I'm glad this is sitting in the back of your mind. That is going to be a stupid competitive meet. I think we will see some serious benching there.

I might even wear a shirt I need help getting on!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Vincent, expand on how you define training as a bodybuilder if you would.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Vincent, expand on how you define training as a bodybuilder if you would.
    For me bb training is based more on bodypart splits more than built around lifts and assistance. So for a powerlifter training like a little more like a bb training days might look more like this: Squat-then leg training. Bench-then chest training. Deadlift-then back training. Then a separate day for arms and a separate day for shoulders.

First let me say I compete in bench only, not full power meets. For the past two years, more out of necessity than design, I've been training more like a BB than powerlifter (Day 1 chest & triceps, Day 2 back & shoulders, Day 3 biceps & abs - high reps, lighter weights, more sets). This is due to numerous injuries/surgeries from 2005 thru 2011. I've had a torn labrum, torn rotator cuff, torn pec, and torn bicep (proximal tear). All on the left side, and all were surgically repaired. As a result, I am no longer able to bench heavy raw at all. I only bench heavy in a shirt - on average about once every two weeks. But surprisingly, over the past two years my bench has steadily improved. Just got a 601 lb bench at a body weight of 177 lbs at the AAPF Nationals in Grand Rapids, MI last Friday. The steady improvement is surprising, but I plan on continuing training like this since it is definitely working for me.

I definitely do. I split my workouts into two sections. When I step into the gym my first priority is usually hitting some kind of PR on one of the Big 3, along with Military for Shoulders. After that, I train primarily like a body builder. The longer I train, the more I notice how lighter weight/higher volume stuff really does help with recovery, especially joints/tendons.
    Last edited by Invain; 05-02-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

When I think of training like a bodybuilder I think cadence, time under tension, controlled movement versus explosive, hypertrophy versus maximum force, supersets versus extended rest periods... not bodypart split versus lift split. Splitting up bodyparts but training them like a strength and power athlete isn't training like a bodybuilder, and simply training the big three plus accessories incorporating more movements to full concentric and eccentric fatigue, pyramid loading, multiple sets to failure etc. isn't training like a powerlifter!

To me it's mindset. For a bodybuilder, the weights are just a tool- the means to an end. For a powerlifter, the weights ARE the end, the body itself is the tool.

I know that wasn't the purpose of this thread, but figured I'd argue semantics anyway.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I think Alex outlined it nicely, but in the end the main difference is bodybuilders don't do many really low rep sets and do more isolation work. Beyond that, there are bodybuilders that use a slow controlled cadence, and then there are those like Ronnie Coleman who just move the big weights with some degree of control, and even Branch Warren who just throws shit around.
    Last edited by chris mason; 05-02-2013 at 10:54 PM.

I definitely have been far more a powerbuilder than a strict powerlifter. Mass (lean mass... always lean mass) has ALWAYS had a direct carryover to strength gains for me, especially in my weak lift... bench. I dont do 'frankenstein training' like some bodybuilders do... working each part separately on separate days, but after bench i do at least two serious upper movements, usually for a lot ov reps, and then a consecutive day where i nuke the upper back and arms with considerable volume. In the past when i really needed the mass i'd employ one or all ov the neat bodybuilding tricks (drop sets, forced reps, negatives, etc.), but i got away from that when i started talking OLympic lifting seriously.

I've more than doubled my starting raw bench in just 6 years with this routine (over 2.5X actually), and have only VERY recently decided to try something different... something more 'typical' powerlifter. We'll see how it works...

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Here mate, grab a few of these if you need 'em.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Hahaha. Damn I just laughed so hard that I think I can skip ab training for today.

I missed the joke

I think it's the heavy use ov 'ov' instead of 'of'.
    Meet PRs: Squat 455 / Bench 270 / Deadlift 525

The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint; the greats were great because they paint a lot. - Macklemore

Be happy. This world can be ugly, but isn't it beautiful? - Jack's Mannequin

Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    I think it's the heavy use ov 'ov' instead of 'of'.
    Damn I'm aloof. Thanks for cluing me in. Pretty damn funny. Wish I had gotten it the first time around.

Last meet i followed a higher volume body building type assistance type workout and my bench felt stronger then it had in years.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Here mate, grab a few of these if you need 'em.
    Copy and paste... copy and paste... PASTE WHERE??? I cant get them!!! Dammit.