Thread: pros/cons rev band vs. conventional band set up

life, one rep at a time

pros/cons rev band vs. conventional band set up

Had a conversation last night with a friend and i'm having trouble coming up with many pros for normal band set ups and was wondering what you guys thought.

my pros for rev band set ups

- the exponential tension curve doesn't really seem much different if at all even though it's flipped.

- easier to take on and off between lifters if you use carabiners or put them on the end of the bar (not everybody wants to use the same bands or any)

- can measure exactly how much it takes off, just empty the bar and add weight til it goes down to the depth you go.

- don't need to do every single set with band tension, actually getting more straight weight work is valuable in my opinion.

are there any advantages to using bands from the bottom up to you guys?
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128030

Consistency is one of the biggest factors. I don't use reverse bands much and don't really like them.

Reverse bands can change depending on how tall your rack is, where you set them, how old they are whatever. I just dont like it much.

The other thing is it's difficult to use anything less than average bands, which still take off around 100lbs at the bottom, which is a lot.

With attaching bands at the bottom, it's not removing the weight of the straight weight at the bottom. So if you have 400 and monster minis on there, it's still 400 at the bottom. It only adds to it at the top.

But with reverse bands it really takes away from the feel of the weight at the bottom and adds to the speed that you can push with towards the top.

Attaching bands to the bottom forces you to work on being faster, rather than the bands.

Reverse Bands are good once in awhile for overloading but other than that I don't care for them.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

life, one rep at a time
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

But with reverse bands it really takes away from the feel of the weight at the bottom and adds to the speed that you can push with towards the top.

Attaching bands to the bottom forces you to work on being faster, rather than the bands.

Reverse Bands are good once in awhile for overloading but other than that I don't care for them.
    My perspective on this post was coming from using them in a monolift, not a normal squat rack, but a majority of my points would remain the same.

i could understand most of the other points but it seems like you're inferring the bands have some kind of stretch reflex property or something. is that right?

i squatted with reverse light bands that took off 150 in the bottom from the 855 bar weight i used. i don't really see a difference in having 705+ a tensioned green band adding 150 to the top.

http://youtu.be/5WwO41C0UFc
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128030

To me its huge for a lifter who walks weights out. I use reverse bands often for heavy singles. I do these as it a nice over load for my top end work but I can walk the weight out with out feeling like Im going to trip.

I started doing a single after my top squat or Dl set. Its been 90-100% off my max less band tension at the bottom. For the squat it feels night and day difference from my ususal reverse band work. I feel like I have to accelerate harder not to slow down as the reverse band doesnt trigger that respinse as hard. But on the flip side I cant walk out 200lbs of band tension asnd set up like I would for a meet like single.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    To me its huge for a lifter who walks weights out. I use reverse bands often for heavy singles. I do these as it a nice over load for my top end work but I can walk the weight out with out feeling like Im going to trip.

I started doing a single after my top squat or Dl set. Its been 90-100% off my max less band tension at the bottom. For the squat it feels night and day difference from my ususal reverse band work. I feel like I have to accelerate harder not to slow down as the reverse band doesnt trigger that respinse as hard. But on the flip side I cant walk out 200lbs of band tension asnd set up like I would for a meet like single.
    I agree here. Started doing reverse band squat 3 weeks out from a meet, made me feel more confident under the weight. Conventional band setup tends to beat up faster. As far as reverse band benching, it puts me in a better groove and again doesn't beat my elbows up so much. I like using chains instead of bands for benching ME.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

5'`9.5" 238
    Comp Lifts
    2ply Squat 550 10/17/09 Bench 470 10/17/09 DL 480 10/17/09
    Raw Squat 550 10/26/2013 Bench 425 5/14/11 DL 530 10/26/2013

deadlift i hate them, squat i like them for overload only using an average or light, benching i'm pretty meh about them. Much rather use them from the bottom.
    2000 or bust