Thread: Am I doing this right? Advice please!

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Am I doing this right? Advice please!

Hey guys! How are you all? As you can probably see, I'm a new member. (BUT, I've been lurking around for quite some time).

I've been meaning to workout for a long time, but my academics have been keeping me ridiculously preoccupied! I was able to get the summer off this year (In a 4 year Accelerated Med program...no breaks, whatsoever. A day off for Christmas, then back to examinations. The only reason i have a few months off is because I took a leave of absence, needed to get back to see my family, a member isn't doing too well and I figure I'd spend as much time with her while she's still on Earth.. )

ANYWAYS! Getting back on topic..

Before all of this, I used to workout for a couple of months (4-5 months? 3x a week. very beginner) and dieted. I stopped when I started school, at the time I was around 165 lbs.

During the classes, I was overwhelmed with examinations/rotations/etc and found myself having less and less time to eat properly. Coffee + books was my diet. At the end, after about 4-5 months in the med program I dropped was surprised I dropped to 140 lbs! My health was in danger, I knew I wasn't eating too well, let alone keep up with my old workout routine.

After my break, I started to eat normally (I won't lie, I ate alot of bad foods.... Fried chicken/rice, etc) and my weight shot back up to around 160.

I went back into my workout routine and went on a 1400 calorie diet. I did not count my macros, I just maintained a deficit while lifting 3x a week.
    I was losing about 1-2 lbs a week.

Now I'm down to about 150lbs, and I've decided to incorporate the proper macros to my cutting routine so I can burn the fat while gaining the muscle.

Here's my information:
    Male
    150 lbs
    5'9"
    I don't really know my body fat percentage, but comparing images and such, I'd say it's about 23-24%?

From what I can tell, cutting to lose fat and maintain muscle requires one to reduce their caloric intake by 500 calories from their BMR.
    My BMR is 1875, so I would have to eat about 1375 cals a day.

Doing a 40/40/20 split, this would mean I'd need to consume:
    137.5 grams of protein (550 cals)
    137.5 grams of carbs (550 cals)
    30.5 grams of fats (275 cals)

As for my workout routine, here's what I'm doing. (I have weights/dumbbells at home which I use.. I find this more convenient for me..)

Workout A:
    Squats w/ 2 41lb dumbbells: 3 sets, 9 reps
    Pushups: 3 sets 10 reps
    Chinups: 3 sets, 6 reps
    Flat Dumb bell press: 3 sets, 8 reps w/ two 31lb db's
    Incline DBP: 3 sets, 8 reps w/ two 31lb db's
    Decline DBP: 3 sets, 8 reps w/ two 31lb db's
    Decline DB fly's: 3 sets, 8 reps w/ two 31lb db's
    Tricep curls: 3 sets, 6 reps, 60lbs

Workout B:
    Dumbbell Deadlifts: 5 sets, 12 reps 41lbs (I need to increase the weights on these...but I ran out of weights!)
    Bicep curls w/ dumbbell: 31lbs, 3 sets, 8 reps
    Incline Bicep curls: 25lbs 3 sets, 8 reps
    Concentration curls: 25lbs, 3 sets, 8 reps
    Shoulder press: 36lbs, 3 sets, 8 reps
    Decline sit ups: 2 sets, 25 reps
    Planks: 1 minute and 10 seconds, 3 sets
    Leg raise: 50 seconds, 3 sets

I alternate between workout A and B 3x a week, M/W/F

My question is, would my diet be optimal for this routine? Or should I change some things?

Thank you all for your inputs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mynameisyours View Post
    Hey guys! How are you all? As you can probably see, I'm a new member. (BUT, I've been lurking around for quite some time).

I've been meaning to workout for a long time, but my academics have been keeping me ridiculously preoccupied! I was able to get the summer off this year (In a 4 year Accelerated Med program...no breaks, whatsoever. A day off for Christmas, then back to examinations. The only reason i have a few months off is because I took a leave of absence, needed to get back to see my family, a member isn't doing too well and I figure I'd spend as much time with her while she's still on Earth.. )

ANYWAYS! Getting back on topic..

Before all of this, I used to workout for a couple of months (4-5 months? 3x a week. very beginner) and dieted. I stopped when I started school, at the time I was around 165 lbs.

During the classes, I was overwhelmed with examinations/rotations/etc and found myself having less and less time to eat properly. Coffee + books was my diet. At the end, after about 4-5 months in the med program I dropped was surprised I dropped to 140 lbs! My health was in danger, I knew I wasn't eating too well, let alone keep up with my old workout routine.

After my break, I started to eat normally (I won't lie, I ate alot of bad foods.... Fried chicken/rice, etc) and my weight shot back up to around 160.

I went back into my workout routine and went on a 1400 calorie diet. I did not count my macros, I just maintained a deficit while lifting 3x a week.
    I was losing about 1-2 lbs a week.

Now I'm down to about 150lbs, and I've decided to incorporate the proper macros to my cutting routine so I can burn the fat while gaining the muscle.

Here's my information:
    Male
    150 lbs
    5'9"
    I don't really know my body fat percentage, but comparing images and such, I'd say it's about 23-24%?

From what I can tell, cutting to lose fat and maintain muscle requires one to reduce their caloric intake by 500 calories from their BMR.
    My BMR is 1875, so I would have to eat about 1375 cals a day.

Doing a 40/40/20 split, this would mean I'd need to consume:
    137.5 grams of protein (550 cals)
    137.5 grams of carbs (550 cals)
    30.5 grams of fats (275 cals)

As for my workout routine, here's what I'm doing. (I have weights/dumbbells at home which I use.. I find this more convenient for me..)

Workout A:
    Squats w/ 2 41lb dumbbells: 3 sets, 9 reps
    Pushups: 3 sets 10 reps
    Chinups: 3 sets, 6 reps
    Flat Dumb bell press: 3 sets, 8 reps w/ two 31lb db's
    Incline DBP: 3 sets, 8 reps w/ two 31lb db's
    Decline DBP: 3 sets, 8 reps w/ two 31lb db's
    Decline DB fly's: 3 sets, 8 reps w/ two 31lb db's
    Tricep curls: 3 sets, 6 reps, 60lbs

Workout B:
    Dumbbell Deadlifts: 5 sets, 12 reps 41lbs (I need to increase the weights on these...but I ran out of weights!)
    Bicep curls w/ dumbbell: 31lbs, 3 sets, 8 reps
    Incline Bicep curls: 25lbs 3 sets, 8 reps
    Concentration curls: 25lbs, 3 sets, 8 reps
    Shoulder press: 36lbs, 3 sets, 8 reps
    Decline sit ups: 2 sets, 25 reps
    Planks: 1 minute and 10 seconds, 3 sets
    Leg raise: 50 seconds, 3 sets

I alternate between workout A and B 3x a week, M/W/F

My question is, would my diet be optimal for this routine? Or should I change some things?

Thank you all for your inputs!!
    Diet is fine if you're consistent with it. Workout sucks. The weight you use shouldn't be predetermined as a static variable. Train as hard as you can with aim to move up in weight. If you can't at some point because you're dieting and things stagnate... well it happens. But don't create a workout to do "x-weight for three sets".
    Last edited by Behemoth; 05-08-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Wannabebig Member
    Oh, on the workout thing, I know, the weights I put were the weights I'm currently at atm, (I increase the weights every week or when I can complete 8 reps for that rage of weights!)

Is my calorie intake sufficient? I'm getting mixed replies...Some people have told me it's way too low..

I used this to calculate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdQUTkdOMZE