Thread: Importance of Rest

Importance of Rest

TAKE A BREAK!!!

I have been getting emails from competitors asking if/when they should take time off from training. Absolutley!! Intense(key word here) training physique competitors should take micro rest periods every 10-16 weeks depending on the individual's biofeedback and their current training protocol. In a study by Schjerling, Saltin, & Andersen individuals were put thru a 3 month high intensity training program and the conversion of Type 2b to Type 2a white fiber was predictable. They performed a muscle biopsy from the vastus lateralis which revealed that Type 2b was reduced from 9% to 2% during training.

When the training was stopped the researchers saw an overshoot in percentage of fibers. During the off periodthe amount of Type 2b fibers did not just return to normal but instead overshoot to previously unattainable average values of 18%, which is more than double what they started with. Another group who continued training did not attain the overshoot phenonmenon.

So they take home point is if you train with high intensity, as most should, then you need to take a break from the gym every 10-16 weeks IMO for long term progress. I've been doing this myself for the past 8 years and with my clinets as well and results, well being, and motivation couldn't be better.

How long should that rest be? 1 week, 2 weeks? Is it dependent on the individual?
    Ban Censors Don’t Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

^^ Same question.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

I do agree that breaks can be good and empirical evidence has shown for years that those who take breaks can come back stronger etc. than ever.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

To see the kind of benefit he was referring to I would think at least 3-4 weeks.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    To see the kind of benefit he was referring to I would think at least 3-4 weeks.
    And how would one adjust diet when on a bulk/cut during the break? Or would you adjust?
    Ban Censors Don’t Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

I would like to see some people's input as to how they plan their break, how long they take it for, what they feel like they gain from it, etc (if they take them).

For me, it's something that I will need to consider. Although I'm young, I've been busting since January with football training and haven't had any time off...but at the same time I love training in the summer and would hate to take 3-4 weeks off. But I might have to reevaluate my thinking on this one.

Also, is this geared more towards the competitive BB side of the spectrum verses PL?
    Last edited by Jonathan E; 05-09-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    And how would one adjust diet when on a bulk/cut during the break? Or would you adjust?
    First, that was a pure guess from me. You have have to allow the body time to make the fiber type alterations he referred to. I assume that would require atrophy of the muscles and a week would not be sufficient time.

In terms of diet, I would adjust for decreased activity, but that is about it.

How long should that rest be? 1 week, 2 weeks? Is it dependent on the individual?
    Its definitely dependent on the individual. Depending on their training history, there current training protocol, recovery capabilities, how the body is feeling, etc...

If you are training with high levels of intensity taking micro breaks like 5-7 days every 10-16 weeks and every year or two take a macro break of 4-6 weeks off.

For me personally I don't adjust diet, I usually take a break from scheduled eating and jus relax in that aspect. Doesn't mean I eat junk, but just eat when I want without measuring things. IT helps with the psychological aspect and has you raring to go when you start back.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 05-10-2013 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    I would like to see some people's input as to how they plan their break, how long they take it for, what they feel like they gain from it, etc (if they take them).

For me, it's something that I will need to consider. Although I'm young, I've been busting since January with football training and haven't had any time off...but at the same time I love training in the summer and would hate to take 3-4 weeks off. But I might have to reevaluate my thinking on this one.

Also, is this geared more towards the competitive BB side of the spectrum verses PL?
    This is for any hard training athlete. Now for different sports it is a bit different. For Olympic athletes they detrain, taper, into a contest because they still have to practice technique, for powerlifters some take the full week off prior to an event, some taper.

For BB I suggest a full break from all training. Just relax and rest.

For me personally after every program I design for myself I tale at least 5-7 days off. After a contest I always take no less than 2 weeks off.