The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Can I get some diet help??

I have, in the past 6 months, put on 30lbs. I'm 6'4, 230 right as I type this. 6 months ago my girl got pregnant and I abandoned any logical eating, as I have learned that sympathy weight is a very real disease. So what I need is to cut 20lbs. A "real" diet is going to still be impossible with her right now, once she has the kid I'll trim down to where I need to be. So here's my thoughts. In the past I've had great luck with Keto diets. They seem to lean me out quick and with my life seems to be the easiest way to go. However, I lose strength and energy eating that way. Is there a way around this? When I run a keto I go 6 days-zero carbs (ok not really, but like 20-30g). On the 7th day I eat carbs, and have a cheat meal. I was thinking that maybe after my workout I should have some simple carbs, maybe that will keep my energy up?

Now I know some of you are going to say it can't be a "diet", it has to be a life change or whatever. I understand this. However, I play with my weight constantly. It's up and down, just not usually as "up" as it is now. I like to live at 200-210. I'll take care of leaning out and all that once the kid gets here and I have to get my girl in shape. I just need a trim now to keep things manageable.
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sounds like a good oppourtunity to try CarbNite. Keep your fats very high and youll have plenty of strength.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    Sounds like a good oppourtunity to try CarbNite. Keep your fats very high and youll have plenty of strength.
    CarbNite dramatically raised my blood pressure, and that was after reading only five chapters.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Try more of a carb cycling approach instead of strict keto. You were losing strength because your glycogen stores were being depleted before you were reaching your refeed day.

What you suggested is exactly what you should do. Eat as low carb as possible throughout the day, and take in 50 - 150 grams of carbs post workout.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    CarbNite dramatically raised my blood pressure, and that was after reading only five chapters.
    I'm well aware of your feelings on this sir.
    2000 or bust

The carbnite thing I am not familiar with, unless it's basically when you eat zero carbs until after you workout. But none on any other day or occasion. I believe I spoke to you about it on my journal Stump. I need to look into it more, the part of it that scares me is that I'm afraid that the freedom to just "go for it" on a 4 or 5 day basis may cause me to fail. I will spend some time looking into it though, as it seems like a variation of a keto.

Invain, will the fats fix my energy issues? What about strength loss? I would say whenever I've done keto I always am protein heavy. I know that fats aren't the devil, I think it's always just a mental thing, like I know proteins good, some fats bad, so eat more protein.
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

Quote Originally Posted by big ragu View Post

Invain, will the fats fix my energy issues? What about strength loss? I would say whenever I've done keto I always am protein heavy. I know that fats aren't the devil, I think it's always just a mental thing, like I know proteins good, some fats bad, so eat more protein.
    Fats are extremely important. When you are on a low carb diet you definitely need to make sure fat intake is adequate. 50 - 100 grams minimum IMO.

You don't need to go protein heavy on a low carb diet. In my opinion it can actually be a little counter-productive. Keep your protein intake relatively the same; I'll up mine maybe 25 grams a day when I'm dieting hard, just because I'm paranoid like that.
    Last edited by Invain; 05-09-2013 at 06:41 PM.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Thanks invain, I'll make a decision this weekend and jump on it Monday. I just need a quick tuneup, I'll tighten everything up once the kid gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    I'm well aware of your feelings on this sir.
    I have no idea what you're talking about...
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig Member
    Congrats on the baby, my girls having my first boy in August. Why not just do ad .little cardio and get your macros in check?

Thanks! We aren't finding out what we're having til it's born. My brother is having a boy in Sept. I'm with you on the cardio/macros thing, that's the plan post-baby. For now I'm just trying to keep my head on straight. A quick keto run to shed some pounds, it's all mental really. I already feel better mentally and it's only been 3 days. I guess the fact that I was down 5lbs yesterday helps. By the end of the week I'll be down 8 or so, I'll have a cheat meal Sunday to cure my cravings.

Big Ragu- how is the diet going for you? It's hard to eat clean when there is junk in the house, i know first hand so i feel for you on that issue!

On a another note, congrats on your upcoming child!

It's not going! It's just too difficult right now, besides working a million hours and all my side projects, my chick is eating everything. I can't run Keto's anymore, it makes me feel like shit. I don't really know what to do to be honest, I lift 4-5 days a week, then go home and eat horribly. For me it's very difficult when your head isn't in the game, you know?

Thanks! Pretty stoked about the kid, I can't wait for them to be born.

Guess you have to just chalk it up until after the baby is born. All-though having a new born isn't going to make it any easier!!