Thread: Mobility work is the buzzword of the day. Do you really need it?

Mobility work is the buzzword of the day. Do you really need it?

In this video I talk about increased tendon rigidity from strength training and its implications relative to mobility work etc.

Video

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

life, one rep at a time
    On paper powerlifting with limited ROM seems like a no brainer as far as being tight being beneficial. However from my experience (i grew up hyper flexible) and watching others at meets and over the years in training groups mobility has been one of the most crucial and neglected aspects of training. I say crucial because it doesn't matter how much force your muscles can produce if you can't hit the proper positions especially in squat and deadlift. This has been the case primarily with hamstring tightness/low back weakness and hip abductor and adductor weakness and/or inflexibility. when you can't squat to parallel without your hips rotating downward (releasing tension on the hamstrings) or your knees caving in (redirecting biomechanical forces to not so optimal joint positions) mobility will give IMMEDIATE improvements. i've had training partners do a very simple regiment of mobility oriented accessory work after main movements and their geared squats improved around 10+% on average. I'm talking 800+ squatters going to 900+.
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128030

Quote Originally Posted by gopostal42 View Post
    On paper powerlifting with limited ROM seems like a no brainer as far as being tight being beneficial. However from my experience (i grew up hyper flexible) and watching others at meets and over the years in training groups mobility has been one of the most crucial and neglected aspects of training. I say crucial because it doesn't matter how much force your muscles can produce if you can't hit the proper positions especially in squat and deadlift. This has been the case primarily with hamstring tightness/low back weakness and hip abductor and adductor weakness and/or inflexibility. when you can't squat to parallel without your hips rotating downward (releasing tension on the hamstrings) or your knees caving in (redirecting biomechanical forces to not so optimal joint positions) mobility will give IMMEDIATE improvements. i've had training partners do a very simple regiment of mobility oriented accessory work after main movements and their geared squats improved around 10+% on average. I'm talking 800+ squatters going to 900+.
    Did you note what I said about the mobility required for your chosen sport? The point of the video was to relate that not all tightness is a bad thing.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

life, one rep at a time
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Did you note what I said about the mobility required for your chosen sport? The point of the video was to relate that not all tightness is a bad thing.

Yes, that tightness was a great benefit for me earlier on as i was hyperflexible due to dysplasia in my joints. I agree that whatever you do requires specificity training and the same goes for mobility work. The point of my post was to illustrate how greatly mobility work is overlooked in powerlifting and when it's actually assessed great benefit can come from it in return via the almighty PR. I constantly see people with these issues that can be easily fixed at meets and it's the same feeling as seeing someone wearing a loose bench shirt "you can get so much more out that if it was set up properly" and the same goes for being flexible enough to hit proper positions.

So to wrap this up, in the case of powerlifting great mobility is not needed. However having the right amount of mobility is vital to lifting to your full potential and this is neglected greatly in our sport. So yes, a great deal of people really need it.
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128030

My upper body tightness is like a skeletal bench shirt!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Good to hear this come back around. Coming in to this sport with the Frantz team the old-time wisdom was to only have the mobility you need to perform.

A few days before a heavy squat day we'd even do heavy stand-ups just holding a heavy squat out of the rack to get our backs tight...... can't argue that it works for a lot of guys.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    My upper body tightness is like a skeletal bench shirt!
    You know, i've always joked about that too, and somewhere in the back ov my mind, halfheartedly believed it. Now i wonder if all the upper body stretching i do constantly so i can also do Olympic lifting (full snatches, technically good jerks) is hindering that at all, or possibly a lot? I actually make it a point to do snatches right after bench day... to make such stretching imperative when its needed most... but again, i wonder if it 'undoes' or hinders any mass gains or strength gains from bench day...