Thread: Mobility work is the buzzword of the day. Do you really need it?

Mobility work is the buzzword of the day. Do you really need it?

In this video I talk about increased tendon rigidity from strength training and its implications relative to mobility work etc.

Video

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I definitely like what you have to say there, people have become obsessed with this in the crossfit circles for sure. I need some mobility work badly though, I have always been way too tight and it is to the point where I have pain doing ordinary things. Hate working on that stuff though.

You're getting as curmudgeonly as me. Did you read my GPP article? lol.

Or wait, maybe I'm getting as curmudgeonly as you.

Either way, glad you did this one. Good stuff!
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I understand why you are saying too much mobility can be bad and negatively effect performance.

But if a tendon becomes too rigid would that not also increase the risk of rupture? No longer having the elasticity to give it some extra give?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    You're getting as curmudgeonly as me. Did you read my GPP article? lol.

Or wait, maybe I'm getting as curmudgeonly as you.

Either way, glad you did this one. Good stuff!
    I did, yes . Oh don't be like me! You'll be an angry old man. Geez, in 20 years I will be a real scrooge!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    I understand why you are saying too much mobility can be bad and negatively effect performance.

But if a tendon becomes too rigid would that not also increase the risk of rupture? No longer having the elasticity to give it some extra give?
    Well, actually, I never really addressed excess tendon pliability, rather I addressed the idea that all "tightening" is bad. I also noted that if you get tight to the point you cannot properly execute the ROM for your chosen sport then you need to do something.

Is that then a potential trade off of less mobility in regards to tendons? Your tendon might be able to transfer force faster but if overloaded it will snap--wheareas if it wasn't stiff/less mobile it might transfer force slower but it would be less likely to snap?

I have no idea, and my guess is my statement has a lot of assumptions in it. Could be that a tendon that is going to snap is one that has been overworked and hasn't been allowed to thicken/heal.

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    Is that then a potential trade off of less mobility in regards to tendons? Your tendon might be able to transfer force faster but if overloaded it will snap--wheareas if it wasn't stiff/less mobile it might transfer force slower but it would be less likely to snap?

I have no idea, and my guess is my statement has a lot of assumptions in it. Could be that a tendon that is going to snap is one that has been overworked and hasn't been allowed to thicken/heal.
    increased rigidity doesn't necessarily indicate an increased risk of rupture. Some of that increase is simply thickening of the tendon which would likely make it less prone to tearing.