Thread: Board Pressing - Only for equipped benching?

Board Pressing - Only for equipped benching?

Thoughts?

Are boards only good for guys who bench in shirts? Or is there some correlation to increasing your raw strength?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Good question!!

For me board presses were everything when I wore a shirt. The more I hammered my 2,3,4, and 5 board the stronger my bench was. I was to the point of hitting a 705 raw 4board and and a 750 for 3 raw 5 board. Of course I was a fat bulbous ballon with a very short ROM but none the less the stronger those got, the stronger I got.

When I went raw I still hammered the boards. My boards got stronger but my raw bench didnt correlate. I found that my groove for the boards was awesome for my shirted stroke but terrible for my raw groove. I dumped the boards and used reverse bands for overload and started progressing again.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I think the applicability of boards for a raw lifter depends on the needs of said lifter. If lockout is your issue then boards can be a great help. If your problem is off the chest etc. then they are less useful.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    I have benefited from board training but am naturally weak at lockout. I actually brought my bench up 20-30lbs in one meet prep (nothing amazing 375-405) primarily using boards. Frankl had me work tons of doubles. My bench days were primarily work out to say 325x2 to chest, then 345x2 to 2B, 365x2 to 2B, 380x2 to 3B, 395x2 3B, 410x2 to 4B, 430x1 to 4b, then 400x2 3B, 385x2 3B, 370x2 2B. The next week would be up all sets 5lbs etc. For me it was the right thing as I got my body accustomed to heavy weights and gave me confidence with the lockout.

Once again i agree with scott. I think for a shirted bencher they are key. They never helped my raw bench. I believe for a raw bencher close grips are key. With that in mind did you use a narrow grip on the high boards scott?
    2000 or bust

I utilize a two board once a month now. It's helpful for me, afterwards everything seems so much lighter. And in the past implementing it helped me get through a flaw mid way up my bench. Yeah the stroke ends up being different than raw, so it doesn't carry over quite as well as you would like, but I also do a lot of regular raw benching in 5 rep range that I think makes up for it. And then I use other exercises when I want to get especially heavy.

I will at the end of some workouts go up to like 85 percent and do a full rep and a board rep it two brd rep it 3 brd and complete as many reps as possible. But I do not find them to be a great tool for raw lifters as a staple to your training.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #2 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    www.fuelthedesire.com THE ALPHA PROJECT
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Nitrean Plus, BCAA, Multi Plus, Fish Oil, ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

Boards, anywhere from 1-board to a 5-board have absolutely played a part in my raw bench progress. I'll use one in some capacity at least once every single bench day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    Once again i agree with scott. I think for a shirted bencher they are key. They never helped my raw bench. I believe for a raw bencher close grips are key. With that in mind did you use a narrow grip on the high boards scott?
    I always used my ring finge ron the ring. I tried to keep it somewhat close to my comp shirt grip but slightly in for more tricep work.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I am an infinitely better bencher both raw and equipped since I have stopped using boards. Other than perhaps warm ups in a shirt, I have little use for them.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Vin, how do you overload for the top end in the shirt? I agree no boards made me a better raw bencher, but it still didnt help my control and very top end lockout in the shirt.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    Vin, how do you overload for the top end in the shirt? I agree no boards made me a better raw bencher, but it still didnt help my control and very top end lockout in the shirt.
    In my opinion, you need to become more proficient in your shirt. When I was handling 900+ in the shirt on a regular basis while using boards, I went years without a pr. It just teaches bad habits as far as I'm concerned. I get much more carryover from reps in my shirt. When I hit the right groove the weight moves seemlessly to the top. I think overlaoding is overrated.

I do see some use for boards for tri strength. A close grip for reps can have its place, but it is still not a necessity.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    In my opinion, you need to become more proficient in your shirt. When I was handling 900+ in the shirt on a regular basis while using boards, I went years without a pr. It just teaches bad habits as far as I'm concerned. I get much more carryover from reps in my shirt. When I hit the right groove the weight moves seemlessly to the top. I think overlaoding is overrated.

I do see some use for boards for tri strength. A close grip for reps can have its place, but it is still not a necessity.
    I am learning this now as I'm looking back over my last years training and what I've really failed to accomplish......
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

I like boards sometimes and think they have definitely helped. Mostly my mid-range to lockout is the worse part of my raw bench though. I only benched 365 off a 3-board before my first meet where I did a 370 contest bench. I think they made the biggest difference between 370 and 402 and less after that. Now, I can usually at least get 20lbs. over my full-range bench to a 3-board. However, I prefer chains and bands most of the time, because it's still a full-range lift, just progressively harder to lockout, and also the slingshot for overload. When I do boards it is always 2-board or 3-board mostly and paused on the board each rep other than warmup. I like to do them once every 4-6 weeks or sometimes a set or two at the end after regular benching.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

I personally like how it translates to the football field, especially for being a lineman.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."