Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CARBS

This is another issue. Who the hell feels like counting calories? Especially someone who is just a strength athlete. I used to count when i started lifting/weight loss and it made me so frustrated i just went by mirror/scale.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    This is another issue. Who the hell feels like counting calories? Especially someone who is just a strength athlete. I used to count when i started lifting/weight loss and it made me so frustrated i just went by mirror/scale.
    You need a way to quantify what you're eating to make adjustments, so you need to know the calories you are ingesting. But fuck that right? That is why I just eat exactly the same thing every day and just take away portions as the scale weight stalls. For gaining, I haven't had the willpower to stick to anything long term which is why I always get real soft over the course of a year or however long before my next cut. Trying to remedy that.

Are you back in an LS1 yet? Saw you on ls1tech ha.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 06-13-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Most in the industry try to overcomplicate things and this tends to sell because the more complicated something is people seem to think it works better.
    Boom. Not to say structure is bad, necessarily- it can be hugely helpful to many folks. But as I usually frame it, the human metabolism is a system with a thousand variables, of which we only really truly understand a handful. A diet that manipulates 20 of them, some picked at random, is probably no better than one that manipulates the 4 or 5 we really understand. It's just that the latter diet is MUCH easier to follow.

PS- I have no problem sacrificing a chicken to Jobu if I can then eat that chicken.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Boom. Not to say structure is bad, necessarily- it can be hugely helpful to many folks. But as I usually frame it, the human metabolism is a system with a thousand variables, of which we only really truly understand a handful. A diet that manipulates 20 of them, some picked at random, is probably no better than one that manipulates the 4 or 5 we really understand. It's just that the latter diet is MUCH easier to follow.

PS- I have no problem sacrificing a chicken to Jobu if I can then eat that chicken.
    Yeah man, It's not like a ceramic (paper mache?) figurine is going to eat the chicken, so I think that is ok.

I prefer lean ground beef myself, leaves you nice and full for hours. Chicken just leaves me starving 10 minutes later.

Alright, going keto for ten days into the cut for my meet. I have been reading a lot of Lyle McDonald's stuff lately. So I have been taking in around 70 grams of carbs a day. He says some can go as high as 100 grams. I have the keto metal taste in my mouth, but I figured I'd grab some keto stix to check also (I know they are not the end all be all, but they couldn't hurt). Yep, I have been able to stay in ketosis with that amount of carbs. For whatever reason low carb, high fat just works for me.

Now, I plan on dropping 20 lbs this summer (or as long as it takes). I will be following Lyle's TKD approach instead of Carb Nite or CBL (figure you all love Kiefer so much . I will continue to keep my carbs under 100 during the day like I am now. However, I will add an additional 25-50 about half an hour before training. The theory is, it should be enough to get me through training, but then I should be able to return to ketosis shortly thereafter.

So, if I have a little carb craving I can have it pre workout. I'm interested to see how this will work out. Gotta week before I start. Still got my cut and meet coming up this week.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 06-16-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    You need a way to quantify what you're eating to make adjustments, so you need to know the calories you are ingesting. But fuck that right? That is why I just eat exactly the same thing every day and just take away portions as the scale weight stalls. For gaining, I haven't had the willpower to stick to anything long term which is why I always get real soft over the course of a year or however long before my next cut. Trying to remedy that.

Are you back in an LS1 yet? Saw you on ls1tech ha.
    Yea my bulks are never pretty. I seem to gain so much in my lower stomach everything else fills out great everyone compliments me and says I looks huge and accuses me of being on roids. If they saw my lower stomach though I doubt they'd be as impressed. My friend actually think it's dumb but it's just so much easier to get women when I'm huge like that. By the time they get a chance to see my stomach I'm seconds away from closing the deal as it is.

This year though I didn't exactly cut out carbs but I lowered them a lot. It worked great I dropped a lot of weight and still kept a majority of my strength. I don't know if low carb had anything to do with it though cause I also changed a lot of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Yea my bulks are never pretty. I seem to gain so much in my lower stomach everything else fills out great everyone compliments me and says I looks huge and accuses me of being on roids. If they saw my lower stomach though I doubt they'd be as impressed. My friend actually think it's dumb but it's just so much easier to get women when I'm huge like that. By the time they get a chance to see my stomach I'm seconds away from closing the deal as it is.

This year though I didn't exactly cut out carbs but I lowered them a lot. It worked great I dropped a lot of weight and still kept a majority of my strength. I don't know if low carb had anything to do with it though cause I also changed a lot of other things.
    Just shifting carbs around will do wonders for you then. I basically stick all my carbs around my workouts now. I still eat a few during the day just so I don't fall asleep at my desk at work, but putting the majority of them around my workouts has given me bulk type strength gains while cutting.

I plan to stay lean indefinitely with this method after I am done my cutting of the fat. I think you can still gain while staying lean by doing this.

I get the same comments as you when I dirty bulk. But these people never saw me with my shirt off. It's embarrassing when everyone knows working out is a passion of yours, then you get to the beach/pool and look like absolute shit. The stomach is what ruins a physique.

Then when you cut, your family thinks you have a terminal illness.

You just can't win haha.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 06-28-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Just shifting carbs around will do wonders for you then. I basically stick all my carbs around my workouts now. I still eat a few during the day just so I don't fall asleep at my desk at work, but putting the majority of them around my workouts has given me bulk type strength gains while cutting.

I plan to stay lean indefinitely with this method after I am done my cutting of the fat. I think you can still gain while staying lean by doing this.

I get the same comments as you when I dirty bulk. But these people never saw me with my shirt off. It's embarrassing when everyone knows working out is a passion of yours, then you get to the beach/pool and look like absolute shit. The stomach is what ruins a physique.

Then when you cut, your family thinks you have a terminal illness.

You just can't win haha.
    Lol yes this is exactly what happens. Which is why I cut right before and during summer and bulk the rest. I do exactly what your describing though most of my carbs are right around workouts. It's worked great for my cut but I haven't had a chance to try it while bulking. I'm excited for this summer to end already so I can see how it works out.

I posted this in Alex's article so I'll post this here about CBL.

The biggest problem with CBL is not the diet, but the book. It is horrible to follow and confusing as hell. That's why half the people fail and the other half do well on it. From a personal experience, I initially gained unwanted weight and I gave up on it. Then after I did some more research, I decided to try it again, but this time, I actually tracked my calories and reduced the carbs to about 200 gr. That's when I started to see the results that I wanted. That's also when I realized that there was nothing miraculous about CBL. On the days that I carb backloaded, I was eating over my maintenance and on the other days, I was way under my maintenance. So essentially, I was on a slight calorie deficit without even realizing it until I started tracking my calories. The reason that CBL works so well for big guys is that they are eating at such a deficit on their rest days that they are dropping weight like crazy without having to track their calories. But for us smaller guys, it is crucial to track the calories or you will over do it. Don't believe me? Try it and see. Another thing that is confusing about CBL is when to backload. Is it the night before or after you train?

So a few months ago, someone told me about the Renegade Diet and how easy it was to follow. It is essentially Paleo and IF combined. It is actually very similar to CBL, but the book is super easy to read and everything is laid out for you depending on whether your goal is fat loss or mass gain. Basically you eat more carbs on the day that you train and less on the days that you don't. I even created a spreadsheet where all you have to do is enter your current and ideal weight and it calculates everything for you:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing (WFS)

I'm still not 100% sold on it so I want to give it some more time before I make my decision on whether to stick with it or check something else out.

People and so called "experts" want to complicate things more and more so they sound like you need all this cutting edge knowledge. But the key to real brilliance is in simplicity, or applied simplicity. So if you are taking care of your calorie needs throughout the day your body will do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    People and so called "experts" want to complicate things more and more so they sound like you need all this cutting edge knowledge. But the key to real brilliance is in simplicity, or applied simplicity. So if you are taking care of your calorie needs throughout the day your body will do the rest.
    Yeah, I am learning that more and more by the day. KISS method.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Thx for all of the advice here. Been eating carbs regularly for a couple of weeks now. I reintroduced them slowly. It's really interesting because a lot of people have remarked lately how good I look. That's a relative term by the way. I think I have a tendency to make things harder than they need to be sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I think I have a tendency to make things harder than they need to be sometimes.
    I imagine that damn near all of us do.