Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Much Cardio

Quote Originally Posted by big ragu View Post
    This is where things get tricky to me, and where I tend to fail. When I start to try to do these things without a full understanding of how it all works, I screw it up, get discouraged, and get some chocolate......
    The biggest challenge most have is learning how to read their own body when it comes to losing fat. The things I stated above were not meant to seem complicating. Listen to your body and be objective. After you have been consistently dieting with a structured nutrition plan look for things like hunger levels, energy levels, how you are looking, use the scale to an extent, but more focus on how you look, sleep, etc.. For a general example when dieting for a decent period of time in a relative calorie deficit, lets say 8 weeks you hunger levels are high, but you are feeling lower on energy, scale weight has plateaued for a couple weeks this could be a time to implement a calorie spike to rev things back up. You may need to also back off training volume just a bit for a week and see what happens.

The thing is, unless your getting ready for a contest, don't get discouraged or be afraid to try small tweaks during the dieting phase. This will enable you to better read your body's bio-feedback. In the future if you are still frustrated with results then look into hiring a coach so you can ask questions and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Very true, but the things I stated are far from voodoo tricks, they are basic things to implement. For some to get to 10% isn't as easy as others and also being able to maintain it.
    Agreed. My word choice was cynical in reference to people not anywhere near stage lean employing unnecessary protocols that they believe are tangible to their situation. Elaborate carb rotations and meticulous macros that they're convinced they have dialed in down to the gram and that any deviation would actually produce a less effective result given the same energy balance.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 05-24-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Agreed. My word choice was cynical in reference to people not anywhere near stage lean employing unnecessary protocols that they believe are tangible to their situation. Elaborate carb rotations and meticulous macros that they're convinced they have dialed in down to the gram and that any deviation would actually produce a less effective result given the same energy balance.
    Very true!

You don't need to do those things for the most part. You can. But its entirely simple to efficiently lose fat to the 10% range equally as well without any voodoo tricks.
    I really want to believe this is true. As I reflect on what has worked for me and what hasn't, I've had the greatest success when everything was simple. When I first cut from 300 to 210, I knew nothing. But I remember it being almost effortless. It seemed the more I "learned" the more I failed. I have done keto diets and hours of cardio and all sorts of other shit that just simply never worked for me. I never really knew why it didn't work, but I'm starting to realize I was constantly setting myself up for failure by over complicating everything. I gotta tell you I appreciate you guys that know wtf you're talking about, making threads like this. I'm never gonna compete, I'll never set strength records or any of that. But I would like to look decent and move a little more weight than the average, everyday guy. I don't even think I need to be 10% BF, I'd be happy to walk around everyday at 12%.
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

Attempting these things when I have no business doing so is what always wrecks me.
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

I was constantly setting myself up for failure by over complicating everything.
    Man, this reminds me so much of what I see every day from cyclists/triathletes. You've got these guys whose preparation for a better race means spending $2,000 on upgraded bike wheels, buying a power meter to track their exact wattage, designing complicated interval workouts to "optimize their time spent at LT and increase their OBLA", etc. etc. etc... when really the best thing for them to do is just get their asses on the bike and train harder.

That's what it comes down to. The more variables and complication you throw in (and give equal weight to), the harder it is to see the few big things that really matter.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 05-24-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I would like to look decent and move a little more weight than the average, everyday guy. I don't even think I need to be 10% BF, I'd be happy to walk around everyday at 12%.
    Don't get stuck on numbers, just go by how you look