The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Westside-type training for "beginners"

I've read on this site that many beginners should embark on Starting Strength first before pursuing anything else but others also hold that Westside is perfectly suitable for beginners as well. My questions are these:

- Should an RE day take the place of DE day as speed work with small maxes to start with might be pointless?

- Can the trainee have both a ME squat and ME deadlift the same week provided there is adequate rest between days? ie:
    Sunday - ME Squat
    Monday - ME Upper
    Wednesday - ME DL
    Friday - DE/RE Upper
    Last edited by CBSVL; 06-03-2013 at 12:35 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You're Being Lied To JohnnyRingo's Avatar
    Define your level of "beginner". You would probably benefit more from a good 5x5 program.
    Weakest person on the forum, and my bench is higher than my squat.

ME/RE would work fine. I would do 8-20 reps on the RE days and rotate max singles and triples on ME.
    2000 or bust

No you wouldn't want to do ME Squat and deadlift on the same week.

DE work is fine for beginners. I use it with beginners all the time and get outstanding results. The key is how it's applied. 90% of people aren't doing enough workload after their DE or even ME stuff.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRingo View Post
    Define your level of "beginner". You would probably benefit more from a good 5x5 program.
    My lifts are between 'Novice' and 'Intermediate' according to those 'strength standards' charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    DE work is fine for beginners. I use it with beginners all the time and get outstanding results. The key is how it's applied.
    Can you please elaborate on how it should be applied. Are you referring to sets/reps/percentages? I've done my best to educate myself on this but just want to make sure I'm on the same page and am grateful for any guidance.
    Last edited by CBSVL; 06-03-2013 at 03:19 PM.

A Westside style of program would work for anybody. The key is finding the right exercises that make you stronger for both assistance and ME lifts and making sure you get enough volume. For example, if you think box squats or board presses aren't helping your numbers, then take them out of your rotation and switch to full range movements and free squats.

Quote Originally Posted by mike95763 View Post
    A Westside style of program would work for anybody. The key is finding the right exercises that make you stronger for both assistance and ME lifts and making sure you get enough volume. For example, if you think box squats or board presses aren't helping your numbers, then take them out of your rotation and switch to full range movements and free squats.
    Overall I agree, I think the novice has to be a little more patient and focus on basic exercises for assistance work and even their ME Lifts. A begginner doesn't need to worry about board presses, reverse band squats etc. Once the basics are advancing then start thinking about odder versions of the classical lifts.

Also a beginner might need to give an exercise more time than an intermediate/advanced to see if a lift contributes to the main lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    The key is how it's applied. 90% of people aren't doing enough workload after their DE or even ME stuff.
    I cannot agree with this more. When we did strict westside ME/DE last year the assistance work was pathetic. This is why i basically gained 0 muscle and had a hard time getting much stronger i think.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    I cannot agree with this more. When we did strict westside ME/DE last year the assistance work was pathetic. This is why i basically gained 0 muscle and had a hard time getting much stronger i think.
    This was the same for me. I was overdoing my DE work and was spent by the time the Assistance work came up. I lowered my DE Sets by 2 and concentrated more on assistance work and saw great results.

Unfortunately I then tore my bicep (Not while training) so now i have had to hit the reset button on my training

Wannabebig Member
    Establish where you are total wise. Then establish where your contest lifts need help(weak/sticking points). Then figure out your percents for de work and have at it. Base your assistance on what you need to improve your Squat ,Bench ,and Dead. Switch assistance when they stop going up or if they dont help your contest lift. If you approach your training like that conjugate/WSB style will work great for you.Finally, remember to wave your volume so you dont go stale