The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: diet opinions

Wannabebig Member

diet opinions

i do cardio 3-4 times a week (one of those being football practice) and lift 3-4 times a week.

im trying to lose bodyfat and maintain strength.. when it comes to bodyfat im not in a like a oh shit its summer in 6 weeks get shredded mindset just progressively lose body fat while staying around 260-270 --

im 6"6 and 265 body fat is 20% according to those online calculators.

here is my usual daily meal consumption

breakfast
    5-6 eggs
    2 pieces of toast with peanut butter
    apple
    bcaa drink ( i drink these instead of juice, diet soda.. i hate just having water with my meals and this stuff tastes good plus theres no sugar according to the label)

snack
    usually before i workout
    2 peanut butter and jam sandwiches

meal 2
    after i workout
    i stop at subway my friend works there so i get employee pricing.
    chicken breast on herbs and cheese with 4-5 different kind of veggies
    2 cookies ( should cut these out)
    bcaa drink

meal 3 usually when im hungry after meal 3
    1 cup of brown rice
    4-5 pieces of chicken thighs
    10-15 carrots
    bcaa drink

meal 4
    ill have this around 7-8
    either spaghetti or brown rice
    chicken or steak
    10-15 carrots
    bcaa drink

meal 5
    before i go to bed
    6 eggs
    apple
    bcaa drink

does anybody have any suggestions, changes to what i could do to adjust this to my goals.
    Last edited by yoke; 06-03-2013 at 03:13 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would drop the pasta/rice in meal #4 and add more veggies or salad. I know a lot of ppl might disagree due to macros and such, but cutting carbs in the evening works for some.

Don't over think it. It's simple: calories in verse calories out.

Find out your maintenance calories and eat a couple hundred less then that. Once you plateau, do the same thing. But I have to ask, why do you want to lose weight? You were blessed with some pretty awesome genes to have that size. Im guessing you are an O-linemen?
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Wannabebig Member
    not necessarily lose weight, im probably just freaking out over the body fat % thing as looking in the mirror im not fat just id rather be 265 at 12-15% then 265 at 20%.

i play d end and might play both ways this year if our tight end dosen't get his school shit in order.

im going try that alinshop
    Last edited by yoke; 06-03-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling error

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    I always found an easy way is to take a carb cycling approach and consume carbs primarily round my workouts.
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Quote Originally Posted by yoke View Post
    not necessarily lose weight, im probably just freaking out over the body fat % thing as looking in the mirror im not fat just id rather be 265 at 12-15% then 265 at 20%.

i play d end and might play both ways this year if our tight end dosen't get his school shit in order.

im going try that alinshop
    Losing any amount of fat requires loss of weight. 12-15% at 265 from 20% is NOT an easy thing to do, especially at your level.

If your calculations are correct, if you did everything PERFECT and lost 5% of your fat(and only fat), your body weight would be at 252lb at 15% BF.

My advice? If you want to re-shape a bit, go ahead and try the carb cycling for a little bit. But don't stress on the numbers..look at the big picture! I'm not sure what year in school you are, or how good at football you are,but by genetic looks alone, you have huge potential. Yes, being that big can make you self conscious (trust me, I'm at 6 foot, 230 lb college d-end myself, haha) here and there, but again, look at the big picture and get your priorities straight. Eat smart, and train hard to gain some more muscle and strength, and worry about shedding off the excess in the future.

ALSO: if you do end up trying to lose a few lb's via carb cycling, make sure you get enough in before and after your workouts, practice, etc. You're not a body-builder..as a football player you can't put yourself in a giant deficits for long periods of time.
    Last edited by Jonathan E; 06-03-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Alinshop View Post
    I would drop the pasta/rice in meal #4 and add more veggies or salad. I know a lot of ppl might disagree due to macros and such, but cutting carbs in the evening works for some.
    No it doesn't. Cutting calories at anytime works for all.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    I always found an easy way is to take a carb cycling approach and consume carbs primarily round my workouts.
    Carb cycling is only going to work for him if his protein and fat are kept static. Rotating macros outside of controlling the most basic element of calorie control is futile.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Quote Originally Posted by yoke View Post
    i do cardio 3-4 times a week (one of those being football practice) and lift 3-4 times a week.

im trying to lose bodyfat and maintain strength.. when it comes to bodyfat im not in a like a oh shit its summer in 6 weeks get shredded mindset just progressively lose body fat while staying around 260-270 --

im 6"6 and 265 body fat is 20% according to those online calculators.

here is my usual daily meal consumption

breakfast
    5-6 eggs
    2 pieces of toast with peanut butter
    apple
    bcaa drink ( i drink these instead of juice, diet soda.. i hate just having water with my meals and this stuff tastes good plus theres no sugar according to the label)

snack
    usually before i workout
    2 peanut butter and jam sandwiches

meal 2
    after i workout
    i stop at subway my friend works there so i get employee pricing.
    chicken breast on herbs and cheese with 4-5 different kind of veggies
    2 cookies ( should cut these out)
    bcaa drink

meal 3 usually when im hungry after meal 3
    1 cup of brown rice
    4-5 pieces of chicken thighs
    10-15 carrots
    bcaa drink

meal 4
    ill have this around 7-8
    either spaghetti or brown rice
    chicken or steak
    10-15 carrots
    bcaa drink

meal 5
    before i go to bed
    6 eggs
    apple
    bcaa drink

does anybody have any suggestions, changes to what i could do to adjust this to my goals.
    Didn't read any of your diet. You don't have your calories counted. What and when you eat is irrelevant before manhandling that.