Thread: How to stay motivated

How to stay motivated

I've recently hit some hard times. The emotional toll it's taking on me is definitely affecting my performance in the gym and in the kitchen (Lack of appetite...great for weight loss, but I fear LBM will be at the center). The issues at hand aren't going to go away in a few weeks or even a few months. I need a way to stay on top of my game.

What have you done in these situations? When you can't (Read: Don't want to) go to the gym, how do you handle lifting at home (Body-weight exercises?)? How about diet, how do you ensure you aren't causing yourself any damage physically or at least reducing the risk or loss of LBM?

The only thing I can think of is that this will be the time to cut. I've been trying to cut before but this time will be a bit easier diet wise. I just need to know how to handle the gym and staying active. It's a broad question and without specific details maybe a bit hard to answer but I'm open to any suggestions.
    Last edited by synonymous; 06-04-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

It can be hard initially after a few missed workouts, but once back in the swing of things hitting the weights should help mentally occupy you during whatever's going on and aid in things improving.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 06-05-2013 at 02:51 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Ditto what Rory said...

I have been there as well, and the gym has actually helped. It is just like anything else in life, once you start going and get back into a routine, it will be hard NOT to do it.

One thing I like to do when I am having motivation issues is make my workouts quick and to the point instead of 2+ hr marathons. That was the biggest helper for me.

Thanks guys.

I'm still going to the gym it's that when I'm there my performance isn't like it would be if I didn't have all this other stuff on my mind. It's harder to focus, to lift as hard, to push myself. I got home yesterday, it took all my power to get down some chicken and brown rice. I could've sat there and had nothing but a protein shake and been done with it.

This is the time to focus on whatever issues in life you are dealing with and put training on the back burner. I'm not saying stop exercising, but concerning yourself with what diet you should be doing, cutting, gaining, etc.... is not what is the most important thing right now its dealing with life when it happens. To many time people try to do thing that just aren't in the cards in their current life at a certain time due to family, financial, emotional, etc... issues or whatever it may be. Deal with these things and when its resolved and your life has a balance back in it then you can go back to hitting the gym hard and being 100% on your nutrition.

Till then deal with life and when you can workout, workout and just eat healthy. Trying to deal with too many things at once can create even more stress and do way more harm than good.

I hear ya. Thanks!! I'll keep at the gym as much as I can handle without over-doing it mentally. I'll eat healthy, although I worry that not eating enough might become a concern (Lack of appetite).

If I had to eat chicken and brown rice every night, I wouldn't be that motivated either. You don't have to eat that clean to even get lean, unless you truly just like the taste. Eating clean is overrated.

Goals! Write down what you want to achieve and keep track of how you are doing. I find that people without a destination seem to fall off the track.

Believe me, once you make that first milestone, it could spark something that you never thought you had in you.
    If you're struggling to gain weight, let alone muscle, Click Here