Thread: Competing Equipped AND Raw

Competing Equipped AND Raw

Who here competes in both disciplines?

How do you alter your training (if at all) for either?

I love competing in both equipped and raw, however I really don't change my training at all aside from taking more straight weight raw (as opposed to equipped) as I get closer to a meet.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I do both! More geared then raw. But my training doesnt really change just add a few more reps in. I usually work up pretty high raw before I put my gear on. When I go raw I just add more sets and reps.

Wannabebig Member
    I do both single ply and raw, neither as well as most of the guys who'll end up posting in this thread. The only real changes I make are I do a bigger variation of moves when focusing on gear. While raw I do competition style squat/bench/dead and some bodybuilding. With a gear focus I add in any other move I can think of, and I do 1 very heavy day to a max double or so for bench and squat/dead each week, then 1 day where I just try to train like a bodybuilder. Funny thing is I'm focusing on gear now and my raw lifts are going up, so maybe I trained the ultra-sport specific way without any breaks for a little too long before

This is a great question. I started punching away on the keyboard and quickly realized, I need more time to think about this one.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Who here competes in both disciplines?

How do you alter your training (if at all) for either?

I love competing in both equipped and raw, however I really don't change my training at all aside from taking more straight weight raw (as opposed to equipped) as I get closer to a meet.
    I've done raw and single ply in the same year (and single ply and multiply in the same year).

To change from raw to single ply, i really didn't change anything other than I didn't lift as heavy of weight. I tried to go back from multiply to raw (was considering doing a local bench only meet) and realized somewhere along the way that my raw bench had apparently tanked. Not sure why or what happened, only that I've struggled with multiply from day 1 and at this point am just disgusted with it.

I really have to wonder how much of it is mental for me vs physical strength differences.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Don't you have a close to 800lb multiply bench JK?

How frequently do you train in your shirt when you are competing in gear?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Don't you have a close to 800lb multiply bench JK?

How frequently do you train in your shirt when you are competing in gear?
    Yes, I've benched 760 in single ply--- a stock Super Katana. I just missed 800 at lockout at that meet in that shirt.

I've only managed 770 in a meet in multiply-- in a 2 ply SDP. I've missed more benches in 2 ply than I've got in in a meet.. My problem is touching. I'm strong as hell off a 1 board, but it seems like in every shirt, the bar hovers right over my chest.

Some of it, I think is setup. In single ply, I bring the bar down, then actually shove my chest up to the bar if I cant touch. In multiply I can't do that it seems, the shirt prevents it, and when I try, the shirt locks up. Some of it is mental, that I'm also sure of. I want to lift heavy, not fight with equipment.

I usually train on a 4 week wave.. something like coming off a deload, week 1 is shirt work (board, reverse bands, with chains, etc) week 2 is incline or military variationss, week 3 is floor press variation, week 4 is deload. as I get closer to a meet, I'll be in the shirt every other week. I rarely go two weeks in a row, my wrists and elbows need the break.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    I've missed more benches in 2 ply than I've got in in a meet.. My problem is touching. I'm strong as hell off a 1 board, but it seems like in every shirt, the bar hovers right over my chest.
    Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm...

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

What'd you suggest in that case, Vince?

I have a similar issue (with FAR less weight, of course, in single ply).

Get rid of the boards

We very very rarely ever use anything but straight weight in the shirt, but we only get in ours about once a month.

If you get rid of the boards for your work sets and touched every time I bet you'd nail it. Once you get the SDP down it's pretty easy to touch.

Get rid of the boards

We very very rarely ever use anything but straight weight in the shirt, but we only get in ours about once a month.

If you get rid of the boards for your work sets and touched every time I bet you'd nail it. Once you get the SDP down it's pretty easy to touch.
    Done that.. it didn't work.

I used to almost never use boards without touching first in training (when I did nothing but single ply). I'd work up to where I touched, then add the boards. In 2 ply, I couldn't touch (this was in a SDP, a Katana, and a Super katana--all 2 ply, all basic shirts, nothing jacked up or tweaked). The SDP I can get the lowest the most consistantly (touching in a 2 ply Super Katana is a joke unless you have the shirt so loose you just as well bench raw).

So, when I started in an SDP, no boards... blew out a shirt doing that. Talked to a couple of big benchers, they suggested working the boards to work the shirt down (just as a guide, so I wouldn't overload the shirt until it was broke in----when i bench in single ply, the first workout in a new shirt, all I do is load the bar until I touch. The thought was I stressed the shirt too much, that's why it blew out. So I did that. Worked down from boards for weeks. Was not actually able to touch until at the meet, where I touched 3 times, but then only pressed one of them (misgrooved on opener, dumped second, got 3rd somehow). Went back, worked super loose SDP for months, touched every workout, was handling weights near what I could do in a meet in "meet" shirt, but not quite. Went back to meet shirt, tried to work it down, couldn't touch. So worked boards to work it down to 1 board again like suggested. Still couldn't touch after that in this "meet" shirt.

Got pissed, just went after weight with no boards, blew out the shirt right before I touched with 805. Got shirt fixed, last bench workout, worked up to 765 (my projected opener), hovered over my chest, then dumped it. Got pissed off, pulled out old, t-shirt loose SK and benched 2 singles with 715... when I know I was tired and beat up, because I started back over at 525 with the SK and worked my way back up.

So, not only have I not touched as much in 2 ply as i have in single ply, I've benched about the same and I've blown out more shirts. I have never blown out a single ply shirt.. i've had the seams start to go, with threads popping (that happens, you expect it), but never the blowouts I've had in 2 ply, where there is just a loud pop and rip and that's it.
    Last edited by JK1; 06-10-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Good thread. I just did a raw meet yesterday but my last meet was multiply. I enjoy competing in both classes. The training is really completely different for me. With gear we tend to do more box squats, bands, chains, all that fun shit. Raw i personally like doing straight weight stuff.
    2000 or bust

Fair enough JK.

The one thing with the SDP's is the color is pretty important as to how you use it.

Black ones are the best, but I've hit some great benches in the red ones as well.

It really sounds like you are wearing a shirt with too small of a chest plate. Arms can be right but if the chest is too small, it'll often give at the collar as you are describing.

What size are you wearing and color?

Funny as it may sound, I had the complete opposite experience. I struggled for two years in various single ply shirts when I first started. Absolutely hated it. I was so inconsistent in them I'd usually open with a raw PR and then put my shirt on so at least I never went home without a PR lol. Not the best game plan.

Went to the SDP and never looked back.

Wannabebig Member
    The prob with SDP is obtaining one with original black material. Those absolutely try and touch in most of the time. The newer ones, you gotta use boards or you will have to have it tightened after 2 workouts or so. I dont know why Inzer let this happen but the SDP is definitely not the same

I really never had to have my red one tightened. I just ordered a different size.

I wore a 60 in the old black stuff.

Wore a 56 in the red

Just ordered a custom 59 arms and 57 chest in the new black stuff.

The new black ones are much tighter but they have pretty impressive pop.

I couldnt stand the SDP. I could almost touch 315 and it fit pretty good. It was also a double ply though, not triple.
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    Travis- Is there a new black material or is it that dark blue? I tried over a year to get a "real" SDP and finally said screw it and got an Overkill. Im very intetested in how the new shirt holds up for you

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    I couldnt stand the SDP. I could almost touch 315 and it fit pretty good. It was also a double ply though, not triple.
    haha that's a good thing. I can touch around 585 in my red one and benched 850 in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS14 View Post
    Travis- Is there a new black material or is it that dark blue? I tried over a year to get a "real" SDP and finally said screw it and got an Overkill. Im very intetested in how the new shirt holds up for you
    It's black I think? Least it looks so to me haha. The first one I had was awesome. It was just too small in the arms. I will keep things updated when I get the new one.

I was wondering if JK would benefit from more board work and really overloading his lockout. In other words, if he could lockout a great load the same greater load might allow him to more easily touch. His issue with multi-ply might be his lockout is relatively weak?

If not, it has to be the fit, or the way he is wearing the shirt.

This is not a sponsor thing, remember, I was with Inzer for a fair amount of time befor I chose to go to EliteFTS. I absolutely hated the sdp. Had no luck in it at all. However, my training partner Tee Tee hit 900 twice in one. I have had more success with the Metal Ace and Jack. JK, the sdp might just not be for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    This is not a sponsor thing, remember, I was with Inzer for a fair amount of time befor I chose to go to EliteFTS. I absolutely hated the sdp. Had no luck in it at all. However, my training partner Tee Tee hit 900 twice in one. I have had more success with the Metal Ace and Jack. JK, the sdp might just not be for you.
    You and I are probably built more alike than Tee and I are.... so I'vewondered about simple structural differences with how the shirt fits. I bugged Tee about it a bit, and he gave some reasonable answers to my questions, but it really boiled down to me living in the middle of nowhere alabama and having to get somewhere where I could work with someone with more experience with the shirt. Now tied up in grad school isn't helping that happen anytime soon.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I was wondering if JK would benefit from more board work and really overloading his lockout. In other words, if he could lockout a great load the same greater load might allow him to more easily touch. His issue with multi-ply might be his lockout is relatively weak?

If not, it has to be the fit, or the way he is wearing the shirt.
    Fit has been a question. I have tried 3 different sizes including one custom made one (which I blew out0 part of my problem is TRex arms that are way bigger around than they are long. I really think arm tightness and arm length may be an issue. The thing is the one I shortened the arms on didn't change problems touching.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..