The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Gaining Mass - Intermediate to advanced

Ahoy!

So.. I've been lifting nearly 4 years now, and seriously (3-4x pw) for three and a half.

As expected my gains have slowed down somewhat. Over the past six months i've started to shrink! My arms have dropped from nearly 17 to 16", this is uniform with other body parts.

My question is, should I adapt my training programme radically? - from what I understand I am currently following an intermediate routine working body parts 2x per week. Should I change more of an advanced spilt?
    I have loved the baby got back programme and followed this for about a year now. I have typically always avoided splits. Nearly all of my previous routines have been based around compound movements with little assistance.

It's also worth mentioning with my previous experience lifting very heavy for low volume, 6,8,10 reps is good for me.

How should I adapt my training for this 'transition'?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you are shrinking in size then it sounds like you may have more of a diet problem than a lifting/program problem. Whats your diet like?

Could be beneficial to give an overview on your program also. Since you are lifting each body part twice a week it could be that you have too much volume.
    6'1"
    200lbs
    Dead: 425
    Bench: 270
    Squat: 350

Quote Originally Posted by 03mach421 View Post
    If you are shrinking in size then it sounds like you may have more of a diet problem than a lifting/program problem. Whats your diet like?

Could be beneficial to give an overview on your program also. Since you are lifting each body part twice a week it could be that you have too much volume.
    Thanks for your reply.

Well, quite possible. I have dropped protein a little and stopped having shakes straight after my workout. I am probably on 100-150 grams per day on average.

In terms of my routine, as of last week I have tried a few new training concepts. Before I was simply following the Boring But Big 5/3/1.

You are saying you have lost a full inch on your arms? Something beyond protein shakes has to have changed?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    You are saying you have lost a full inch on your arms? Something beyond protein shakes has to have changed?
    Thanks for the post Chris.

Well, the only other things I can think of are that I did cut for 5-6 weeks on a keto diet a few months back, and that I'm not using much creatine (quite what difference this makes I don't know). Maybe the combination exaggerates the affect.

Well, cutting with a keto diet can certainly make you lose size and strength. Keep in mind that the bodybuilders that promote said diets are for the most part using anabolics. Anabolics are lean tissue sparing, so their results and yours may not be the same.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks Chris.

Makes sense for that to be the reason. Should I worry too much about my training or just keep it the same? It just seemed like there was a slow and progressively increasing reduction in gains. I was not quite sure if this was down to not taxing my body enough or training appropriate to my experience as a lifter.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Spartian; 05-23-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Definitely doing Keto will cause you to lose size unless as Chris stated you are on anabolics and even then if its not applied properly you will still lose.

I would make sure your diet is in check first and make sure you are taking in enough calories. If that's in place, unless you are looking to really lean out you shouldn't lose any size with any training program unless their just isn't enough volume or just too much. ITs hard to say without knowing exactly what you have been doing to give better advice. You may need a more advance program or just a different application. SOmetimes what you think you need and what you actually need are 2 different things. I see many who always do low volume work and "heavy" weights and when I switch them to higher volume for a certain period of time they bust plateaus. Don't get stuck in a box of one way of doing things, sometimes you have to think outside the box.

Thanks Allen. I really appreciate your honest advice. Maybe it really is down to keto..

I agree. Hopefully, after paying particular attention to my diet for the next few months it will help uncover the problem... If not maybe it is worth thinking out the box as you say.

Thank you all.

As Allen said, first look at your diet. Secondly, I advise just taking a week off, while keeping your calories in check. Come back with a new routine, new mindset, and make sure you increase the weight every week.
    If you're struggling to gain weight, let alone muscle, Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Spartian View Post
    Thanks Allen. I really appreciate your honest advice. Maybe it really is down to keto..

I agree. Hopefully, after paying particular attention to my diet for the next few months it will help uncover the problem... If not maybe it is worth thinking out the box as you say.

Thank you all.
    If you want to prove it to yourself add some carbs to your diet for a week and watch your strength start to go back up. Insulin is highly anabolic.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    If you want to prove it to yourself add some carbs to your diet for a week and watch your strength start to go back up. Insulin is highly anabolic.
    Did this, and your right. Response was great lifts shot right up. Quite a learning curve for me.

Thank you all.

my weight also jumped from 84 - 90kg in 4 weeks :S
    Last edited by Spartian; 06-16-2013 at 02:49 PM.