The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Strength loss on P90x

I have built up my strength over the last 5+ years doing basic powerlifting. I got my deadlift over 500lbs and my squad over 400..

However, I'm tired of having a medium sized gut. Also earlier today I did a bodyweight circuit that KICKED MY ASS. Who would have know just jumping around for 15 minutes could be so damn hard??

I've wanted to try P90x for a while now and get 'lean' again. But I'm terrified of 90 days putting me back years in my lifting. Anyone out there do this before? Results? Reviews? Thanks in advance
    210 LBS at 15% BF

Bench: 265lbs x 1
    Deads: 505lbs x 2
    Squat: 405lbs x 1
    Press: 195lbs x 1

Today I do what you wont so tomorrow I can do what you can't.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You can certainly get leaner and more conditioned without P90X and while maintaining most of your strength. You simply need to adjust your diet and if conditioning is a goal, add some conditioning work to your training.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    You can certainly get leaner and more conditioned without P90X and while maintaining most of your strength. You simply need to adjust your diet and if conditioning is a goal, add some conditioning work to your training.

Chris nailed this one.

you will certainly lose a little max strength - especially if P90X is the only thing you do (no max strength work). But the prospect that it will set you back YEARS in 90 days is beyond far-fetched. It might seem like you've had to grasp and claw your way to the strength level you've reached and that taking a breather will cause you to fall hard, but our bodies are not that pathetic...
    "Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness" - Edward Stanley

Wannabebig New Member
    Not to beat a dead horse, but they're right, you can lean out and maintain strength. Yeah, you might drop some on your lifts because your mass will decrease and your leverages will change.

You can probably hit this 2 ways:

1) Hit p90x HAM, and use an in-season lifting program, (think 1-1-1 ~90% ish)

2) Or clean up the diet a little bit, keep lifting hard, and add in p90x conditioning a few times a week on non-lifting days or as a finisher to your training sessions in lieu of or in addition to strength work. Hope that helps, train hard and listen to your body.

Last note, as a coach, I consult a lot of people who have been broken by good ol' Tony Horton and the beach b0dy crew... just watch your six with some of the high volume plyos and "ab rippers"....

get after it and good luck!
    My personal website where I talk about old-school training, bodyweight, and a host of other "off the wall" fitness topics, as well as lifestyle and motivational rants, check out Man-Training.com

"Curb-Stomp the Status Quo"

Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21 View Post

I've wanted to try P90x for a while now and get 'lean' again. But I'm terrified of 90 days putting me back years in my lifting. Anyone out there do this before? Results? Reviews? Thanks in advance

Why would you waste your time with it? It won't make you stronger. It won't lean you out as well as simple calorie reduction and mild cardio would do. And it'll certainly make it harder to maintain max strength and muscle.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results