The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Gain, Maintain or Continue dropping fat?....

Fella's...

After a long time out from lifting due to 2 long term injuries. I got all the way upto 260lbs (6ft2) with diet and cardio I have come down to 208lbs in 5 months.

I got my body fat measured at 11.9% on monday (air displacement method/bod pod)

Am finally back lifting weights (doing a 3 day a week 5x5)

Now I am thinking do I either continue cutting down my fat until I am happy with body fat before I go big. Or do I try and slowly recomp or begin adding mass? I've decided at 30yrs old that I want to get big and try and be a 'bodybuilder' and really do not want to get fat or off season.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Is that pic current? If your body fat is accurate you are already very lean. I would definitely focus on adding size. You can't add much in the way of drug free lean mass if you are too lean.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Is that pic current? If your body fat is accurate you are already very lean. I would definitely focus on adding size. You can't add much in the way of drug free lean mass if you are too lean.
    Not accurate! That was probably 5yrs old that PIC! Not really been on boards that often.
    Couldn't work out how to put a current picture in this thread, so will put one in the profile.

I will take your advice, you are Chris Mason after all :-) PS my kangaroo would be willing to `enhanced` one could say.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Not accurate! That was probably 5yrs old that PIC! Not really been on boards that often.
    Couldn't work out how to put a current picture in this thread, so will put one in the profile.

I will take your advice, you are Chris Mason after all :-) PS my kangaroo would be willing to `enhanced` one could say.
    Ok, but even if someone were using anabolics they have to have the caloric ingestion to support mass gain beyond a certain point. Very early on you might be able to not consume extra cals and simply decrease fat while adding lean muscle, but that won't last for long.

Add some lean muscle mass. I would get a calorie counting app and find out what I am currently averaging and then bump by 500 cals and give that a few weeks to see how things go. Once I stagnate, or if I don't gain weight I would bump another 500. Wait two more weeks and or until stagnation sets in. Continue this process and back off if you find you are accruing body fat too quickly.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Chris, do you think it is necessary to gain fat while gaining muscle? Can you truly stay pretty lean while gaining? I can't seem to NOT get fat when gaining, so I am trying something different this time.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Ok, but even if someone were using anabolics they have to have the caloric ingestion to support mass gain beyond a certain point. Very early on you might be able to not consume extra cals and simply decrease fat while adding lean muscle, but that won't last for long.

Add some lean muscle mass. I would get a calorie counting app and find out what I am currently averaging and then bump by 500 cals and give that a few weeks to see how things go. Once I stagnate, or if I don't gain weight I would bump another 500. Wait two more weeks and or until stagnation sets in. Continue this process and back off if you find you are accruing body fat too quickly.
    Appreciate the advice Chris, so stay natural and gradually try and add lean mass. I can do that. Am figuring I could gain quite a bit of size considering I will be coming into training fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Chris, do you think it is necessary to gain fat while gaining muscle? Can you truly stay pretty lean while gaining? I can't seem to NOT get fat when gaining, so I am trying something different this time.
    No, most people can gain a fair amount of muscle beyond their untrained state without adding much fat. You just have to do it in a measured fashion as I mentioned above (i.e. only adding cals as you stagnate and knowing how much you are consuming).