Thread: How far do you travel to train?

How far do you travel to train?

Just curious for the guys on here, how far do you travel to train?

Do you travel because of a commercial gym that has the equipment to train with or because you have training partners you prefer to work with?

I run my own facility so most of the week I'm 4 miles from the gym, but every wednsday and occasionally on Saturdays I drive down to Westside which is 220 miles round trip. I really bend a lot of my schedule to make that work but I've been driving that trip for 4 years. Before that I was about 45min from Westside and made the trip every day.

It is a huge pain in the neck occasionally but always worth the effort to train with my Westside brother.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

You're Being Lied To JohnnyRingo's Avatar
    Travis, I remember reading one time you drove around 2 hours just to train, and that blew my mind. I feel like I would lose my motivation (car rides make me drowsy even when I'm driving, not dangerously so just out of it). I am a 7 minute bike ride from my gym. In the next year I'll be around 45 minutes away. That's when I'll start building my home gym.
    Weakest person on the forum, and my bench is higher than my squat.

15 minute drive. But, if it was too far, I'd just use my tiny home gym and calisthenics. I LOVE calisthenics!
    Last edited by Falcon63; 06-21-2013 at 10:36 AM.

5 minutes. I'm lucky. I train at a smal private gym that's in an old leather shop that we rent from a lady. The owner is a successful insurance agent that's benched 455 raw at198 but is retired from the platform. He charges a small yearly fee and then pays a good 7,000 or so yearly for us to train.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Just curious for the guys on here, how far do you travel to train?

Do you travel because of a commercial gym that has the equipment to train with or because you have training partners you prefer to work with?

I run my own facility so most of the week I'm 4 miles from the gym, but every wednsday and occasionally on Saturdays I drive down to Westside which is 220 miles round trip. I really bend a lot of my schedule to make that work but I've been driving that trip for 4 years. Before that I was about 45min from Westside and made the trip every day.

It is a huge pain in the neck occasionally but always worth the effort to train with my Westside brother.

Pretty cool you make that trip every week, you must really enjoy those workout's.

I am lucky enough to belong to a gym that has 3 locations w/in a 15 mile radius, so if i get tired of one, i can switch it up. I like to visit different gym's when i'm on vacation and usually pick a few out before i leave. I try my best to find the cool ones!
    Last edited by Alinshop; 06-21-2013 at 04:18 PM.

I train in my basement. About six years ago, I bought my first power rack, which was one of the best decisions I ever made. Now, I have everything I need. When I am getting ready for a meet, to do some shirted work, I drive to Cellis' gym, which is about 20 minutes each way.
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

Travel time is about an hour each way twice a week to train at Iron Sport. The other days is about a 20 minute ride
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I have a membership at a commercial gym(World Gym) that is less than a mile from my apartment. I am also a member of a private gym that my buddy owns that is loaded up with strength equipment and all kinds of specialty bars. I travel around 40 mins each way to train with them.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

6 minutes walk from my condo's door...it's mainly a commercial gym, but we now have a small but close group of lifters, 2 racks, a new shiny adjustable-posts bench (got it in yesterday!) and 3 decent bars, so we're set....and, the "commercial" part means you can look at chicks while you squat.

less than a minute... but I own the gym, which is really a garage type gym, so basically I just have to walk through the door.

That said, all of my training partners drive a minimum of about 20 minutes and one will make a 2-2.5 hour (one way) drive up here today. I have had 3-4 people at a time driving that far to train at my place, mostly because we are all friends and I have, I think, the only monolift within a long distance. So, the equipment I have (bars too and other stuff) gets people on the road. I've actually had a couple of people drive down from another state (Tennessee) to train on saturday, spend the night, and train again on Sunday as they were getting ready for meets.

I myself have made more than one 100 mile tip to go train with Rob and Chris or back when I benched with Curt Dennis to drive up to Tuscaloosa to bench with them on Sundays.

Personally one of the reasons I bought the equipment was because I hate driving. I'd rather people came to me than I drove to them.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRingo View Post
    Travis, I remember reading one time you drove around 2 hours just to train, and that blew my mind. I feel like I would lose my motivation (car rides make me drowsy even when I'm driving, not dangerously so just out of it). I am a 7 minute bike ride from my gym. In the next year I'll be around 45 minutes away. That's when I'll start building my home gym.
    Yep it's about 2hrs one way. I leave my house at 5:30 am to get there by 7:30 so I can stretch and warmup.

The drowsyness sucks but you get used to it. I have trained at Westside since 2006 and wouldn't have it any other way. When my wife and I moved up further away from Columbus, we both knew I'd be making the drive at least once a week.

Its really the drive back that's the hardest. By the time we are done training I'm pretty wore out and it can get difficult. But you just drink some coffee and move on.

Even as long as I've been training there, I still get all jacked up every tuesday night because I know I get to train there the next morning.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

5 mins from my apartment or office, depending on where my clients office is, could be an hour. I have traveled 5 hr round trip numerous times to train with Kennelly when I was shirted benching. It was always worth it

For years I traveled an hour once a week.
    After about 5 years of it started to wear on me. Plus the fact I couldn't take a week off bcuz my training bud depended on me being there. That sucked.
    We needed a group of about 4 to train with, takes the burden off anyone who wanted to skip a workout.

About 3 miles.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

5-10 mins
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

13 minutes on the dot from the house to Quest gym in Duluth,GA
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

life, one rep at a time
    40 minutes since i moved
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128030

Even as long as I've been training there, I still get all jacked up every tuesday night because I know I get to train there the next morning.
    My friend and training mate Massimiliano visited Westside 2 weeks ago: one of the things I've ever been most envious of! Not to mention having a pic with Louie!

Most days I train at home, if theres a meet coming up ill travel about 45 minutes to use a mono or be coached by better lifters and at least once a year we'll travel up to 3 hours to train with some other lifters. The car ride always sucks!

I train at home. I already spend 3 hours a day in the car commuting. I lack the testicular fortitude to do any more than that. My progress would be quicker/better with partners, etc. However, this is the choice I've made. I am lucky enough to have folks like Donnie Thompson only a hour away and have taken advantage of his hospitality a few times. But I don't want to wear out my welcome.

60 miles one way trip to bench with Mike Wolfe. Best decision ever. Been doing this for 3 years and contest bench has gone up from 365 to 507.
    Last edited by rockofages; 08-04-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    "Expect greatness from yourself and you'll get it. Greatness isn't measured in world records. It's measured in setting and breaking your own goals and records." Matt Rhodes EFS

www.youtube.com/danny52wn

From my house to the gym it's around 15-20mins
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

In my garage normally. Next closest gym is 1 hour one way 2 the other. Whenever I can I train on saturdays with some guys that live 4 hours away. But I don't make the trip just to train, usually need something else that weekend going on in the area. I don't really have a good place to stay there anymore either, so that'll happen less than in the past. If I knew more lifters at those closer locations I would be willing to lift with them on occasions, I am aware of a couple people that do powerlifting that aren't too far away, just haven't met them.

Man where on earth do you live? I could drive to gyms in another state in 4hrs lol. Either that or your garage gym is really that pimped out

Man where on earth do you live? I could drive to gyms in another state in 4hrs lol. Either that or your garage gym is really that pimped out
    Yeah middle of no where honestly. Wish my garage was pimped out. I have a power rack I built with close hole spacing and band pegs on a platform, and a flat bench I built. 1 texas powerbar, a cheap bar, and some weight and bands. I like it but if I had more space I would add some things here and there.