The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

63 year old doing a Power complex

Here is one of my clients who is 63 still killing it. A combo of Strength, power, and metabolic conditioning. Each of these doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUDh_8NlOOc

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I hope i'm still moving like that when i'm in my 60's! Well done!

I can't move that well now.....
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

That is excellent for him. You might want to teach him how to properly box squat as he would get a lot more out of it. His back squat form is not very good and the ROM is poor. He would be able to box squat with a better ROM with less knee stress and a more upright technique which would place less stress on his lower back.

In the end, he is getting it in and that is great.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

[QUOTE=chris mason;2624035]That is excellent for him. You might want to teach him how to properly box squat as he would get a lot more out of it. His back squat form is not very good and the ROM is poor. He would be able to box squat with a better ROM with less knee stress and a more upright technique which would place less stress on his lower back.
    QUOTE]

I have to disagree here. It may be the camera angle but his knee to ankle angle is almost vertical (IMO it should never be completely vertical unless you are box squatting)His back is completely flat thru the entire range of motion without any anterior pelvic tilt and his depth is literally right at parallel. You have to remember as well everyones mechanics is different and what you are saying for techinique is definitely correct there has to be a little leeway. Know if his hips came up first out of the hole then his back would be getting more stress. Overall he is very balanced. Never had any knee or back issues in the last 6 years I have trained him. But I do appreciate your input.

He has done plenty of box squatting, but unless a client has tight hip flexors and an issue with squatting to parallel (or they are training for powerlifting or a specific sport)I think free squatting has more overall payoff because people tend to rely on the box to much and less overall muscle is activated during a box squat.

You're Being Lied To JohnnyRingo's Avatar
    I'm not sure where you are getting your view of parallel from, but the camera certainly doesn't show it.
    Weakest person on the forum, and my bench is higher than my squat.

This is a screen shot of the video when he is at the bottom of his squat. There is NO way he is at parallel.

His shins are also NOT even close to perpendicular. With that said, I agree that they are not going to be totally perpendicular with a free squat hence my recommendation of the box squat.

The issue with the back relates to leaning too far forward which due to simple leverage places a greater strain on the musculature of the lower back (again, hence my recommendation for the box squat).

Try and different camera angle if you believe that is the issue and we can take another look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chris mason; 06-27-2013 at 08:28 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post

This is a screen shot of the video when he is at the bottom of his squat. There is NO way he is at parallel.

His shins are also NOT even close to perpendicular. With that said, I agree that they are not going to be totally perpendicular with a free squat hence my recommendation of the box squat.

The issue with the back relates to leaning too far forward which due to simple leverage places a greater strain on the musculature of the lower back (again, hence my recommendation for the box squat).

Try and different camera angle if you believe that is the issue and we can take another look.
    I agree he is not at parallel, about 1 inch above, but when I watch him without the camera he's usually right at parallel. At the same time Going below parallel isn't a always a must when squatting, now I'm not saying do a quarter squat, but 1-2 inches is fine at some points. But his shins are right at perpendicular, especially for a free squat, you can see that on the video frame, knees are not over the toes, which is what I consider good technique. The body lean has to do with bar placement. Now he is borderline with how much I like them to lean, but as long as head and chest come up first and there is no anterior pelvic tilt its not a huge issue.
    You will see some coaches argue that it has to be completely perpendicular, but if someone has long legs that isn't going to happen and with Mike he has a short torso and longer legs so I am fine with his shin angle. To keep a complete perpendicular plane to the ground is impossible with a free back squat unless you are box squatting. Unless you are squatting with your hips using a wider stance, like most powerlifters, a complete perpendicular shin angle isn't going to happen. Look at John Meadows or Shelby starnes who rarely goes to parallel, its all individual. I tend to stay very upright and stop at parallel for bodybuilding purposes. Just sayingthere is no One way to squat and learning someones individual mechanics will dictate what is good for them.

But I do see what you are saying and agree for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Here is one of my clients who is 63 still killing it. A combo of Strength, power, and metabolic conditioning. Each of these doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUDh_8NlOOc
    That is cool to see! I love to watch these clips as I hope to be pushing it the same way in 25 years.
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

How come he is doing super high bar (is that bar on his neck?) with a low bar style stance (wide and sitting back) ?

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    How come he is doing super high bar (is that bar on his neck?) with a low bar style stance (wide and sitting back) ?
    Because for him it is more comfortable on his shoulders. Always have to make minor adjustments on everyone. For his age I couldn't be more happy with his mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Because for him it is more comfortable on his shoulders. Always have to make minor adjustments on everyone. For his age I couldn't be more happy with his mobility.
    I agree.