The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How do you define success in powerlifting?

Just something that crossed my mind the other day. What defines success for you in powerlifting?

Winning or competing in certain meets?

Winning a national or world championship?

Making some money?

Placing on an "all time" list?

For me it really is pretty simple. i've always wanted to keep making a consistent improvement. I never have had a specific number that was my absolute limit. When I first started I wanted to bench 400 in a shirt. Things slowly progressed from there. I'm happy to keep pushing myself at a pretty agressive pace in the best gym in the world and enjoy the ride. I've competed in some pretty big meets, which is an absolute blast, but it's not what keeps me grinding day in and day out

So success for me is continual improvement. Reaching a point where I'm at least competitive with the top level benchers in the country. I've obviously got numbers I want to hit, but it's not ingrained in stone that those numbers are where I want to stop at. I'm just enjoying the ride of grinding and pushing on myself every day.

So I'm curious, what to you guys defines success?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Breaking personal PR's and setting some records. After that i do it out of pure enjoyment. Powerlifting saved my life. If i didnt start weight lifting its a guarantee i would be a 350 lb diabetic by this point.
    2000 or bust

I think success like any hobby is achieved with how happy you are when doing it. If you are enjoying yourself then you are being successful at it.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I think success like any hobby is achieved with how happy you are when doing it. If you are enjoying yourself then you are being successful at it.
    +1 agree

I think the word you used to describe it - hobby - is a key one.

I tend to view it the same way, as a hobby. My life does not depend on whether or not I hit a PR, although it's heavily influenced by it lol.

I guess I'm referring to the competitive nature or goal oriented nature of powerlifting. Obviously those of us that compete have an interest in challenging ourselves against others and I'm curious in that regard what makes people feel they or others are successful

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

If people consistently ask you any of the following, my guess is you are doing ok:

How much ya bench?
    Can you help me move this weekend?
    How much do you eat a day?
    Do you/did you play football?
    Can you show me how to squat/Deadlift?

Just get under the bar!

As a young lifter who has been frequently injured by this sport, I define success as getting stronger without getting injured. Although I currently don't aspire to become an all-time record holding powerlifter, I do it for fun and the discipline I have gained helps me in my other goals in life.
    Murderous's Progress To A 1000lb Raw Total

Health and Fitness Articles

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10

Getting within the Nation's best 5 lifters in my weightclass.

Medal at a National level comp.

Getting PRs, possibly in competition.

I lift mainly for the satisfaction a new PR gives you, but becoming competitive at the national level is what is getting my wheels to spin lately.

I would say being ranked in the top 10 for a weight class, or holding a national/world record.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

I tend to view it the same way, as a hobby. My life does not depend on whether or not I hit a PR, although it's heavily influenced by it lol.

I guess I'm referring to the competitive nature or goal oriented nature of powerlifting. Obviously those of us that compete have an interest in challenging ourselves against others and I'm curious in that regard what makes people feel they or others are successful
    In that regards the most successful I ever felt was when the top 275 list came out in plusa and I was number 1 for the hear(2006/2007) and chuck v was number 2.

Being able to win,place, and hold records in multiple feds and styles matters to me as well. If you can do that then you are successful.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    This. Honestly, as long as I'm improving and enjoying it, that's success. But as far as specifics/competing, I do have numbers. That's what drives me in the gym. The goal is a 1300+ total at 165 raw (pro total in the fed I joined), and pull 600 at 165 raw.
    "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

I agree. This has been a big thing for me recently.

Powerlifting has the blessing and curse of whatever number you're at is never good enough. I originally wanted to squat 800, but now 800 seems small to me. I'm positive it'll feel the same as I keep increasing. You'll keep progressing, but sometimes it can be a real mental game. Its good to keep it a hobby, I had a real hard time with this for a while.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

My attitude and goal was do or die to be the all-time best over 50 and top 5 over 40. It finally happened last year at age 56. #1 squat single ply >50 all time (308 and any wt. class) and #3 >40 (308) with 830 lbs. #2 >50 total and #7 >40. But at that meet I injured my back which led to the discovery of malignant cancer in my right kidney. I almost died post surgery from a bad morphene reaction. They got all of the cancer with the kidney and I survived the morphene scare after 5 days in CCU, so I'm a cancer survivor. My reason for all this background info is this. I thought that breaking that squat record that had stood almost a 1/4 century would leave me satisfied and I would retire and be content and stop hammering my body with 3 knee surgeries and 3 shoulder surgeries leaving me with an artificial shoulder I competed with for 2 years. When they told me I had cancer I said well at least I went out on top, because I figured if I survived it I'd probably never compete again. Well; after the near death experience I did a lot of thinking and soul searching and I came to several realizations. One being that God had given me 2 special talents. I had given up one of them 12 years ago when I retired from Southern Gospel music. And was about to 'retire ' from the other, which was the genetic gift and the work ethic to become very strong. I realized that I'd been given a second chance to honor both gifts. I realized that I didn't have those gifts to stop doing either. I came to the conclusion that I have not come to the conclusion of my race both in my singing ministry and as a powerlifter. There will be challenges ahead as we continue to put our quartet together but conquering those challenges is part of the satisfaction. And I now see I can still enjoy conquering the challenges I'll face as a powerlifter: one kidney, diet and supplement limitations, artificial joints and all! A huge part of the satisfaction of getting that squat record was not just getting it but chasing it. I still have chases to make...best over 60, over 70..who knows? I realized it won't always be a matter of 'did I get to the finish line' faster than anyone ever has, but did I run my best race trying and was I a positive example to others along the way. The same with music this time around. Not to have another hit record, maybe we will again-maybe not; but to see someone get something they need from the message in the songs we sing. Bottom line is the same for both I think. If you love it and you and others are touched in a positive way because you do what you do, then that is a true measure of how successful you have been...in whatever you do. You never know who you might touch or influence by simple doing what you do.
    Last edited by mastermonster; 07-07-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)