Thread: Baby got back routine + boxing/cardio on off days?

Wannabebig Member

Baby got back routine + boxing/cardio on off days?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently doing the baby got back routine found on this site and I really like it and am seeing great results.

For those of you not familiar with it...
    Some back/chest
    Some legs/biceps
    rest
    Some back/shoulders
    Some legs/triceps
    rest
    rest

My question is, would doing a short boxing workout or doing some cardio on one or more of the rest days be detrimental to my muscle recovery? I know there are a lot of threads about this but I was curious as to how I could fit it in to my current routine. Currently aiming for a very slow bulk; trying to put on as little fat as possible while making constant gains.

I do light cardio on lifting days as it is but I don't really have time to go on long runs as well as lift on those days.

Thanks in advance

You can do both and make progress with both if done properly.

Read this article: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog...and-be-strong/

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    You can do both and make progress with both if done properly.

Read this article: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog...and-be-strong/
    Thanks for the article, it was very informative and interesting- even forwarded it to a couple of friends.

So after looking at the Westside style template that the author layed out, do you think it would be possible to incorporate the routine I do (baby got back) in that template with the running and training? It looks like I possibly could by doing my normal workouts but with a rest day in between day 1 and day 2 and then only taking one rest day after day 5.

I am not training for anything specific but just want to be in better shape.

So that brings me to my next question... I have recently put on slightly more fat than I really want to at this time of year. Over the past few months I did a slow bulk, not really having too much time to dedicate to lifting because of school so I made somewhat slow progress. Over the past couple months I have had more time so I have put more time into eating and lifting resulting in weight gain; however, I've gained more fat than I wanted to, probably because I have been eating more than I need to be.

Now that I have put on more fat than I really want at this time of year, is there a way to slowly burn it for the next couple months while I make good progress with lifting? I am guessing I need to be stricter with my diet, but I was wondering if there was much else I can do.

Sorry if this was kinda all over the place, thanks in advance

I suppose you could integrate your routine into Alex's template, sure. You will have to probably change the training days around etc. Just train the things he recommends you train using the exercises from your routine in the format he laid out (depending on your goal).