Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: What federation and why?

  1. #1
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920

    What federation and why?

    Interested in what feds guys compete in and why?


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,003
    I have done my fair share from apa,Apr,ipa,wpo, and now usapl. I went usapl in 2011 because I was tired of doing a meet and being one of two guys in my class. I like that usapl nats will have 20 guys deep in each class and is a gate way to a true world championship.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

    Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

    Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,486
    Let the fireworks begin early!

    I compete USPA. USPA has the most meets in California by a wide margin. It wouldn't surprise me if they had more meets than other other feds combined. Plus, it has the LA fit expo, SJ fix expo, Olympia, and is part of the XPC which is at the Arnold. No matter what style of lifting you want it has premiere meets for people. That's good since people in my gym compete raw, single, and multi.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

  4. #4
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,788
    Like Scott, I have done APA, WNPF, AAPF, APF, Raw United and USPA. But I must say that my top 3 will always be APF, USPA, and Raw United. My main reason for APF is because that's where I started. I've never competed at an APF meet where I had a complaint. The judging IMO is top notch, especially when it comes to multiply. Anyone who has ever met Spero will understand why I compete at Raw United meets. The USPA....enough said!!! Brian Bruitt is an awesome guy and runs a great meet.

    I understand that some lifters only lift in one federation, but it's hard when you live in Florida. To my knowledge, I think we have a state chairman for almost every big name federation. We have APA, USPA, USAPL, Raw United, RUM, APF/AAPF, WNPF, SPF, and now we have RPS. If I really wanted to, I could compete once a month, lol.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

  5. #5
    Senior Member 44pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    745
    APA is all I ever competed in. Mostly cause it is more local for me. I'm looking into a RPS meet in Aug, simply because it's only 10 miles away.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

    5'`9.5" 238
    Comp Lifts
    2ply Squat 550 10/17/09 Bench 470 10/17/09 DL 480 10/17/09
    Raw Squat 550 10/26/2013 Bench 425 5/14/11 DL 530 10/26/2013

  6. #6
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Quote Originally Posted by 44pirate View Post
    APA is all I ever competed in. Mostly cause it is more local for me. I'm looking into a RPS meet in Aug, simply because it's only 10 miles away.
    Sounds like you live close to me. I'll be doing that August meet.

    I would lift in any federation as long as the meets were close enough to me.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  7. #7
    Senior Member 44pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Sounds like you live close to me. I'll be doing that August meet.

    I would lift in any federation as long as the meets were close enough to me.
    I live in Cape Coral. This meet is 8/24 in Ft Myers looking forward to meet you.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

    5'`9.5" 238
    Comp Lifts
    2ply Squat 550 10/17/09 Bench 470 10/17/09 DL 480 10/17/09
    Raw Squat 550 10/26/2013 Bench 425 5/14/11 DL 530 10/26/2013

  8. #8
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Quote Originally Posted by 44pirate View Post
    I live in Cape Coral. This meet is 8/24 in Ft Myers looking forward to meet you.
    Ah. Thought you were talking about the 8/17 one. That's in PA. I'll be in Florida in September for a cruise though.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  9. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    36
    USAPL and USPA. Both enforce the rules, have good competition and have a raw option. Between the two, there are plenty of meets in California, where I live.

  10. #10
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    So it seems the majority of you guys pick feds out of location and meet directors.

    Scott, can you expound more on what you mean by true world championship?


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  11. #11
    Wannabebig Member Shawn Bellon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    83
    USPA. AZ headquarters are at the gym I train in. I like USPA. Sensible. Works for me.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    313
    I compete in the upa because that's the fed around. I don't lift usapl because to be perfectly honest is too strict and I don't wanna miss a lift because my head came off the bench.

  13. #13
    Train Hardcore!!! muscle_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,652
    APA, APF, and SPF is the only 3 feds I have competed in. But I'll compete anywhere.
    Train Hardcore

    Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

    Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,003
    Quote Originally Posted by kingns View Post
    I compete in the upa because that's the fed around. I don't lift usapl because to be perfectly honest is too strict and I don't wanna miss a lift because my head came off the bench.
    That's one of the reasons I went to the usapl. Its strict and especially strict to everyone. After 13 years of competing I have had my fair share of good lifts and good "gifts" so I'm not a purist by any means. It for me was just to try something new.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

    Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

    Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    So it seems the majority of you guys pick feds out of location and meet directors.

    Scott, can you expound more on what you mean by true world championship?
    Ipf world's has every country in the world present and each team is comprised of each countires national champs. No other fed in the world does that.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

    Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

    Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    309
    WNPF mostly because of proximity. They have a few meets a year in central NJ. But they also put together a nice meet and have decent spotters. They certainly have their flaws too, but there's a lot to be said for meets that are close by.

    I did compete with another federation in NJ that will remain nameless and the judging and spotting were both god-awful. My last meet 2 years ago before I blew out my arm. I won't compete with them again.

    It gives me a lot more confidence to try to push myself when I am comfortable that the spotters will catch me if I fail. I can't even imagine how you guys squatting geared in the 900+ range would feel with a few skinny 15 year olds trying to spot you!
    Last edited by andhen2003; 07-05-2013 at 05:27 PM.

  17. #17
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Ipf world's has every country in the world present and each team is comprised of each countires national champs. No other fed in the world does that.
    It can't have EVERY country, but I do see your point. It has a lot more countries than any other world championship.

    It's definitely more structured in how the teams can be formed and much more uniform in each country.

    If powerlifting were to ever be included in the Olympics, it's going to be under the IPF format.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  18. #18
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Scott, only reason I keep asking you questions is just curiosity because you picked a federation out of a specific competition goal as opposed to proximity.

    But do you ever get hung up on the countless rules that hamper your performance?

    I used to compete in the USAPL (not quite the IPF but pretty close lol) and at a certain point I felt like I was competing against the rules rather than competing against the weight - if that even makes sense.

    I REALLY got hung up on the political aspect of watching different top level lifters get away with different rule violations and others getting stuck with them.

    However I enjoy a diversity of competition and actually was pretty close to doing bench nationals raw, but my wife is due around then lol.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,003
    I like the rules. I know my lifts will be quality. I love the clock. I hate watching guys not even have straps up yet and being called to the platform. I can do a meet 2 hours way and only be gone 6 hours total for a meet. I like the drug testing as well. I like doing a big meet and really seeing how I stack up against other top drug free lifters.

    5 years ago though I wouldnt have had anything to do with the usapl though. My focus was on numbers only so a borderline squat was well within my standards. As I age though things that matter to me though have altered.

    You should fed give the usapl another shot. You might have a different view now that your older.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

    Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

    Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    12,251
    I started in the USPF and i hated it. The judging was totally anti-lifter red light anything that wasnt an olympic squat and paused bench for 5 seconds. After that i did the IPA, RPS, and SPF. All those are close to me in Rhode Island.
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 07-07-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    2000 or bust

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    507
    IPF: the only other fed in Italy to offer full PL meets is WDFPF, and it's a joke.

    I don't mind the rules, as long as they're enforced equaly on everybody, and the meets organization is always top notch.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,529
    I've competed in numerous feds over the years; going back to the USPF in the 80's, WABDL, AAPF, AWPC, APF, WPC, IPA, SPF/GPC. I will probably do a select APF meet or 2 here and there because I have such a long history there; but I plan to compete primarily now with the SPF/GPC. I've been very much impressed with the direction the SPF has taken the last several years and like the affiliation with the GPC as an international affiliate. There has been a major effort in recent years to tighten the judging to 'by the rules'; not beyond the rules or 'close enough'. The judging I've experienced and have been part of has been consistent no matter who is lifting. I've not seen nor have I been influenced to judge any lifter according to his/her status in the sport. (I can't say that about every fed I've been in). In the SPF I've only been told to study the rule book and call them like I see them. No more, no less. The meets there are the most efficiently run meets I've competed in or judged. Communication is good at meets and there is little 'dead time'. I also like the sense of comradery at SPF meets from the biggest pros to the newest novice. I've only experienced a fun and supportive atmosphere at the meets I've been a part of. The judges are instructed to tell you why they red lighted you if you ask and they do. I've competed in some feds (won't say where) and the judges wouldn't even acknowledge that I asked them a question. In short...the SPF is fun and it's done right. They are good people.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    737
    I typically compete SPF. Primarily because the SPF has many meets in my area. After I broke my left ankle, I needed a federation that would allow me to lift in single ply equipment like I was doing and where I wouldn't have to do a walkout, because at the time I really couldn't. So I went to several SPF meets in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida and just watched from the audience. I saw the same thing almost 10 years ago, I see now. Good quality meets consistantly run well. Things happened--ie the Hoff Shirt incident and others and I became more involved in the federation because quite frankly I thought there was a good thing going and I didn't like the way the internet was portraying what I saw. So I've stuck it out with the SPF through the years because I like the meets. I also like the GPC/SPF Affiliation. I know several lifters internationally who are affiliated with the GPC and I like the way that fed seems to be handling itself. I also like the SPF/GPC affiliation.

    APF/WPC just donesnt' have many meets around here that work with my schedule. That said, if I can work out schedules, I Have no reason not to do one. I have lifters I train with who are regulars with WPC worlds.

    Frankly I don't like the rules of the USAPL/IPF. I honestly think in many cases there is a definite judging bias against the bigger lifters (ie 275+) in those federations. I haven't competed as a 275 since about 1996 and I don't plan on going back anytime soon. I also have had a previous bad experience at a USAPL meet that caused em to just wash my hands of the fed, even with single ply equipment being what I tend to lift in. Finally, I question the safety of the USAPL, considering some of the severe injuries that I've seen through the years at Powerlifting meets. Safety straps and bench savers are a must have in my opinion. I really dont' care about the federation at this point, I personally am not lifting in one that does not have those things.


    USPF just doesn't have meets around here

    APA, I've had friends lift at APA meets and there have been equipment issues there, at more than one meet. That and there aren't many APA meets around here, with most of them being raw meets in Florida.

    UPA doesn't have meets around here.

    XPC/RPS doesn't have meets around here that I know of, ,although if they did, i'd do a meet in that fed. I know people who have competed who have had good things to say about them.

    USPA has been doing a few more meets within a reasonable drive time (ie less than 6-8 hours). Lifters from my gym have done more than one USPA meet. I will probably do one in the future, at some point. I just don't know when.



    Bottom line really for me, is this is a hobby sport. I quite frankly am not paid enough to justify taking more than 1-2 days off work and a few hundred dollars a meet in hotel fair and food. Because of that, I'm going to keep doing the meets that are local. At some point if I ever get strong enough (or pretty enough, or whatever it takes to get serious sponsorship) and someone else starts paying for me to do meets, I'm open to more travel. Otherwise, I'm restricting meets to within 6-8 hours of where I live unless I can come up with a good tax deductable reason to go to a further away meet.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

    Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

    The next stop: PRO total.

    HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Similar Threads

  1. If there was a federation of planets
    By BFGUITAR in forum General Chat
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 05:14 AM
  2. Meet/federation question
    By Invain in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 09:42 PM
  3. 100% RAW Federation
    By JustinASU in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
  4. Competing in 100% RAW federation
    By Bob in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-28-2006, 12:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •