The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Don't train the same year after year

Bodybuilding based programs can and will often increase strength deficits within performance anatomy. Single plane type of training, year after year inhibits real athleticism & disrupts neurological patterns since itís so contrary to the human movement model. Research in rehab has shown that lack of neuromuscular co-ordination results in faulty patterns of muscle recruitment. Single plane machine based and muscle based movements over time do not engage neuromuscular co-ordination. Bodybuilders eventually lose mobility and tri-planar strength and balance.
    This creates huge imbalances in an already unbalanced physique in terms of muscle tissue to bodyweight ratios. This leads to non-functional muscle.They require restoring tri-planar range of motion, establishing core strength, and getting back some stability. So a needs state analysis can be a lot more in-depth than it first appears.

Bodybuilders and most that seek cosmetic enhancement are neglectful of training the strength curve in all elements. Years of the same exercises, sets, and rep schemes with only subtle variances is comfort zone training. The training and focus needs to be changed. The best thing for their training for the next few months is to focus on another element of training. Most of the time trainees will train for years pretty much the same way and expect a different result.

This is often the case with women seeking fat loss and a physical change. They are slaves to aerobic solutions of varying types. This is also a psychological dependency. Aerobic training will not sculpt a body and is inefficient as a fat loss tool. In general you will find most women need more resistance training, Most bodybuilders need more real conditioning and power/speed training . Almost all clients will need more training within the human movement model.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You mention trying to train in different planes. Do you think there is value in doing squats/lunges, presses and pulls outside of the frontal plane?

Such as lunges in a clock pattern?

Or doing landmine presses at an off angle?

Part of me wonders if this would have any value or if just doing heavy barbell movements is good enough?

The point is not to stop doing traditional sagittal plane exercises like squats but to add in other planes of motion as well. Exercises like lateral reaching lunges, rotational core movements, snatches, burpees, one arm side lateral throws, etc.... I have hundreds of exercises I use in Hybrid programs it all depends on the person and the context of their program.

If you only train one plane of motion with the same exercises and rep schemes you will create neuromuscular imbalances. Look at a lot of bodybuilders and power lifters, they have joint pain and their mobility is not great.

As a guideline how much work do you want out of the frontal plane?

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    As a guideline how much work do you want out of the frontal plane?
    There is no one answer to this. It depends on the individuals past training routines, how advanced they are, their workload capacity.

WHat is your current split during the week?

I follow a basic Westside Template with conditioning/prowler/sled work on off days.

I usually try to rotate some one-armed upper and lower body exercises in my assistance work at least every 4-6 weeks. My jumping work is usually broad jumps, knee jumps or box jumps. Sometimes some side hops.

With the sled work I sometimes work awkward angles and side sled drags. Here I'll often warm up with the jump rope--mainly single skips, alternating skips and double unders. Sometimes side skipping.

I'll also rotate in landmine core work into my ab work.

I follow a basic Westside Template with conditioning/prowler/sled work on off days.

I usually try to rotate some one-armed upper and lower body exercises in my assistance work at least every 4-6 weeks. My jumping work is usually broad jumps, knee jumps or box jumps. Sometimes some side hops.

With the sled work I sometimes work awkward angles and side sled drags. Here I'll often warm up with the jump rope--mainly single skips, alternating skips and double unders. Sometimes side skipping.

I'll also rotate in landmine core work into my ab work.
    Are you training for a powerlifting meet or just lifting to get stronger?

Just general strength and fitness.

I would first progress you to get out of your comfort zone and definitely introduce different planes of motion. Probably do a 5 day per week program with 3 days of weights and 2 days of conditioning circuits. Then the next program from there would be a hybrid bodypart split then depending on how your body is responding go from there. One program should lead into the next and so on.

To give you an ideal, here is what one of your days may look like, keep in mind this is general as I haven't done a full assessment:

Pull/Posterior Chain

1a) One arm DB snatch, Full stop b/w reps 3-4 X 6-8 EA
    1b) One legged Glute Bridge 3-4 X 12-15 EL
    1c) Reverse grip Pulldown 3-4 X 10 to 12
    1d) Frontal Plane hip swings 3-4 x 15-20 EL

2a) One arm DB rows 3-4 X 8-10 EA
    2b) Straight Leg Lateral leg raise on SB 3-4 X 15 EL
    2c) Pulldowns to Front 3-4 X 12 -15
    2d) Reverse hypers with SB b/w legs 3-4 X 12-15

3a) Deadlifts from Floor 3-4 X 8 -10
    3b) SB Hip bridges 3-4 X 15-20
    3c) SB leg curls with high bridge 3-4 X 12 to 20
    3d) SB hip lifts 3-4 X 12 to 20

Allen--thanks for the input.

What does "SB" mean?

Swiss ball I would imagine.

Allen--thanks for the input.

What does "SB" mean?
    Stability ball

I totally agree with the idea of training variety.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I don't for see myself doing burpees or snatches anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    I don't for see myself doing burpees or snatches anytime soon.
    For bodybuilders I recommend doing One arm snatches, it's not as technical as a 2 arm BB snatch. I would absolutely recommend the one arm variation though. It will develop your upper back and also has a huge metabolic payoff since its a kinetic chain exercise. Implementing these types of movements will not only improve the neurological aspect of training but keep you more functional, training in a single plane all the time is not what the body is meant to do and can lead to overuse injuries because of muscle firing patterns are disrupted. 2 months out of the training year for this type of training does wonders for physique athletes

I can honestly say I haven't experienced any plateauing or do I rarely repeat the same workout. I actually train to purposely to put my body in a position of weakness for every muscle group (this is to directly train the muscle group I'm focusing on). After I do reach my goal body fat percentage I'm going to spend sometime relearning motor pathways for all movements (approx 4-6 weeks).

You ate still pretty young for this sport and in the beginning you will not and you may continue to grow and develop. The reason in doing these type of movement is to prevent imbalances in muscle recruitment and firing patterns. You should absolutely spend 85% of your training year in training for pure hypertrophy, but there has to be a balance to keep the body as a whole moving within the human movement model.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I totally agree with the idea of training variety.

I strongly agree as well, keeps the body guessing.