Thread: For raw benchers, use reverse band for bench training or normal band press?

Wannabebig Member

For raw benchers, use reverse band for bench training or normal band press?

I understand that if you use reverse bands, you train the mental confidence of handling heavier weights in the hands, but do you guys have any preference when training for raw benching? reverse bands or just normal band bench?

I like revers bands better. Bands over the bar always seem to irritate my pecs or delts. Lots

of guys have success with both. Travis may chime in on this. I'm sure he has seen both methods used more then most.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

It depends on your relative weakness in the movement and physical factors such as injury noted above.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I don't love rev bands like many. This is mostly due to the fact that I hate setting it up. Plus that means were not on the forza. I need the bench to be perfectly centered. I'm a complete diva.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I like revers bands better. Bands over the bar always seem to irritate my pecs or delts. Lots

of guys have success with both. Travis may chime in on this. I'm sure he has seen both methods used more then most.
    I'm actually the opposite. I don't really like reverse band bench. The band setup has a huge effect on the bar path and it just messes with me.

I prefer normal band setup. But that said I don't have pec or shoulder issues. So if I did I might have a different opinion.

My bench just seems to respond better to bands actively pulling down on me as opposed to pulling up.

We actually just had a discussion on this awhile back and I remember Scott bringing up some really solid points in support of reverse band benching.

I still use reverse band benching, I just tend to avoid it as long as I can haha.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I do not like reverse bands. I know its a VERY similar concept, but benching regular weight + bands or chains makes the weight harder. I dont like how reverse bands make the weight easier, if that makes sense. Also I dont like having 500 lbs on the bar, but it not actually weighing 500 because bands are lightening it. Maybe a lot of it is psychological, but still.

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you all. Is it right to then conclude that basically it's mainly up to the lifter's own opinion and which style he prefers , while taking into account whether his bench setup allows for reverse bands, and things like whether the joints can take a beating on normal bands , and so on?

No matter reverse or not, what's a rep range you would do for ME? 4 sets of triples sounds good?

Well the proof is in the numbers. If your bench is going up using them, keep using them. If not, then it's time to change.

For rep ranges I work up to a single every week.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Reverse bands are great, so is going against bands. We use both and chains in our rotations.

As far as number of reps, we always go to a max single. For getting stronger at a 1RM nothing works better (for me) than max singles. Make sure you do your heavy sets of 3-6 for assistance work after you hit your singles so you get enough volume.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks all!