The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What do you guys think of this equipment for a beginner home setup?

Hey guys, haven't been on this site in ages, nor have I been to the gym in quite a while either. Been considering purchasing some equipment for home use so I can get back into the swing of things. My hope was that by posting here I could get some constructive feedback on the products I've selected.

Thanks, and here's the list:

Treadmill: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065MSH48/ -- Gimmicky or worth it? Is there a better one for the same or less money?

Rack: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FPVTL6/ -- I'm adamant about lifting in a cage, but my basement only has 76" ceiling, this was the only 72" rack I could find.

Bar: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZU85NC/ -- Seems pretty basic right?

Bench: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JJM38S/ -- I don't need anything fancy for benching, but is this one ok you think? Otherwise I found this one for around the same price: www.amazon.com/dp/B002QJZAE4/

Total invested up to that point would be about $1340 after shipping and I'd still need to get some plates and a stand. I know that I could find good deals used and on craigslist but I'm particular to a fault and would much prefer to buy all my stuff new, I just want to find good deals, and make sure it's all quality so that I can use it for years to come.

Thanks very much for any feedback you guys can offer.

Some stats about me:
    27, out of shape, probably 170-180 lbs. Been living a sedentary lifestyle the last 2-3 years and am really sick of feeling like crap all the time. Thinking about going with Starting Strength for the first 6 months to get back into the swing of things and then seeing what feels right from there.

Trying not to die young.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ditch the treadmill and save the money for other things, like a GHR. If you wanna run, go outside or to a track.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not in the US so don't know the specific manufacturers (but if I were I'd look up the company that provides Elite with their racks) and just got them to make a rack a bit shorter so it would fit in my space. That way you are getting good kit custom made and not buying crap. A good rack should easily last a lifetime so no point saving the equivalent of a weekend away by buying rubbish. Save money if needed and skip the treadmill for now -just walk or run outside, and get cheap iron, a decent bar, adjustable bench and dumbbell handles. Also, build a platform and allow for its height in the rack height calculations. Theres a good design for one somewhere on the ironmind site. Basically its 2 layers of plywood and one of rubber where you stand, and 2 rubber/1 plywood where the bar hits. Seem to think all 1/2" but might be 3/4", so allow say 2 1/4".

Oh, and make sure the hole spacing is narrow on the rack and ideally that it has band pegs to save pissing about in future.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Ditch the treadmill and save the money for other things, like a GHR. If you wanna run, go outside or to a track.
    +1

And with the bar, it seems to have a 600 pound limit... Don't know if that will ever be a factor, but if you want a solid, versatile bar, get a Texas Power Bar.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

I guess it depends on how much you'll be lifting but I would ditch the treadmill to spend more on a better quality barbell and bench.

Get the elitefts "sick of your gym" package. No need for a treadmill.

Thanks for the advice guys. I know I could save by not getting the treadmill but I'm really self conscious at the moment, which is a big part of why I'm not getting a gym membership in the first place.

As for that EliteFTS set, I'm having a hard time seeing what height that rack is. My basement is only 76 inches at all points so anything taller won't work. The 72" rack seems ideal because it's short enough to fit and I could still invest in some floor mats/covering with room to spare.

In regards to the 600lb bar, I don't really envision myself progressing beyond 300lbs in a given lift, at least not any time soon, and if that time does come, I'll be sure to treat myself to a higher rated one.

Thanks for all the input! The rack is from New York Barbell, which gets pretty good reviews last time I checked, they were known for providing quality products.

I know what platform you're talking about too, I remember seeing a post about it back when I joined this site in 2008. Very cool idea and something I'm likely to construct at some point.

Trying not to die young.

If you don't mind replacing what you are purchasing now in a few years, then I think you'll be fine. But if you want to get the job done for a lifetime call Elite and see if they can accomodate your height issues OR check out Rogue Fitness. I know they' made shorty racks for some of the guys on the Crossfit Board. Rogue also offers some heavy duty squat racks with spotters that would make height also unimportant.

Same thing with barbells, you can get a cheapy now but realistically after 6 months of solid training you should be able to deadlift over 300lbs and be close to squatting that much if not more. Don't set mental limits on yourself.

So maybe a better question would be this. For $2000, what is the best quality setup I can get, and could it be gotten for less (still new though). I just want to get back into strength training. Mark Rippetoe style.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Trying not to die young.

You're Being Lied To JohnnyRingo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McLaughlin View Post
    So maybe a better question would be this. For $2000, what is the best quality setup I can get, and could it be gotten for less (still new though). I just want to get back into strength training. Mark Rippetoe style.

Thanks again for all the replies.
    As said before look into the sick of your gym package. I believe its 1800, texas power bar (which you will never need another bar), 400+ pounds in plates, power rack, bench, ect.
    Weakest person on the forum, and my bench is higher than my squat.

Wannabebig Member
    Really, lifiting and some sensible eating will sort out your body image issues much quicker than lots of cardio at this stage so get that gear sorted before the treadmill. And you can of course always phone elite and ask the questions you can't find answers for on their site about having a shorter rack made up.

Appreciate it guys. I've emailed elite on getting a 70-72" rack and we'll go from there. If they're willing to accomodate I'll order it tomorrow and hopefully be lifting within a week or two. (donno what their shipping is like).

/edit --

Sensible eating is something I've definitely got to work on. Been married almost 4 years and working from home for about 3. Bought a house in April, turned 27 in June and got a promotion a week ago. I figure it's time to start taking care of myself or I won't live long enough to enjoy it much longer.

Given a lot of thought to supplements and I know that a solid routine and consistency are the most important part of any fitness regime, but at the moment, aside from a multi vitamin and fish oil, do you guys think I should get some protein shakes? I know at-large has some AMAZING products. What's "normal" to spend on supplements in a month (or 3 month) period?

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm just a guy, looking for advice and trying to better myself.
    Last edited by McLaughlin; 07-14-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Trying not to die young.

Wannabebig Member
    Just eat clean for a while, aim for over 200g of protein a day -if you can't do that with food, get some whey. Supplements are just that, a supplement to a decent diet. Get what you can from food first, then add what you are lacking.

By eating clean I mean lots of meat and veg, basically food you have to cook or make yourself -nothing processed and limit your sugar. If you diet is terrible now change things in little bits, drop soda at first, then white breads and junk etc -too harsh a change and you won't last. the goal is to slowly introduce better habits for the rest of your life, not a quick 6 month change before falling off the wagon. It takes time but after a while natural food just plain tastes better than crappy fast foods.

Elite is based out of Ohio, so if you're living in WI, your shipping shouldn't be gnarly.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

First, get a Westside power rack. They are not terribly expensive and are excellent quality.

I agree with the others, forget the treadmill. Steady state cardio is not very effective at helping people to lose body fat. You can do Tabata interval training and get a better fat burning workout than the treadmill will provide.

You 100% need to do something about your diet if you want to change how you look. The #1 factor in body composition is diet with strength training being #2.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

If you were considering a treadmil, you could put down money for westside's $650 power rack along with the barbell upgrade.

I think the Elite FTS 3x3 and 2x2 racks are $1195 & $975, unless they are bundled for less in the package.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

I'd love any rack but they're all too tall. Until I find out whether Elite FTS or another manufacturer will make a short rack for me that one I found on Amazon is the only one that will fit in my basement :-/

As for diet I understand it's important. Biggest thing I'll have to cut out is the beer... I drink a lot of beer. I googled those Tabata body weight intervals, reminds me of my time in the Navy. I'll have to give them a go.

After all this advice I'm strictly looking for a rack now, thanks again for all the input everyone. It's great to get so much feedback.

Trying not to die young.

Echoing what Chris said, Rogue makes a Westisde Spacing rack. You should call them and see if you can get a 70" rack from them. Almost all their stuff in interchangeable like an erector set.

Wannabebig Member
    Jesup bar for $165.
    Last edited by cic; 07-20-2013 at 07:56 AM.

CRAIGSLIST! if not craigslist I always go with Elitefts or Rogue. I personally have a Rogue s1 squat stand (ceiling height was an issue for me to) with the slide in bench and it works great.

Look at Sorinex, Total Strength & Speed (one or both of those companies made/makes EliteFTS racks), Rogue, and EliteFTS. Often times, when you're looking at something like customizing the height of a rack, it is better to call the company and talk to a person. I've dealt with all the above and recommend 'em all without reservation.

Don't forget to ask about any demo equipment, returns, etc. You can get some good deals if you aren't picky about color.
    Last edited by Tim K; 08-01-2013 at 01:10 PM.