The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally, 600 raw at 275

Yep, I basically backed down a couple of weeks from my last meet on 6/23 and came back after the elusive 600 at 275. I found a contest only a little over an hour away and came up with a new game plan. I'll be addressing this and lots of other stuff regarding this long journey in my log. I don't want to bore anyone more than I have to.

So I arrived to the meet feeling very well. Anyway, I knew the meet would run quickly on Sunday for a number of reasons. First, it was being held by Gene and Ame of the RPS. Even though they had around 120 competitors, Sunday was more of an over flow meet. Saturday filled up so quickly, they basically added another meet for Sunday. On top of all that, it was being held at a crossfit and most of the lifters were going raw. I was among my peeps

Warm ups went great. I was really dialing in my form. When I got to 500 my upper back started tightening up. At that point it was all or nothing, so I just stretched and dealt with it.

I basically take my last warm up on the platform. The 545 felt good, but I felt some butterflies. I still get nervous when I lift. On to my second attempt I took 600. I felt really confident that I got it, so I was disappointed when I did not get a rack command. I was upset, but I have learned the hard way that what you feel and what actually happened are not always the same. I trust Gene, Dan, and Carl's judging as they are not just some guys picked out of the crowd. After seeing the vid today, the right call was made. I shot the weight up great, but that left arm where my bicep was repaired unlocked and wavered.

So I leave the platform and toss my wraps and belt over where I was sitting with my mouth shut. I'd say on my scale of temper tantrums that was about a one. Anyone who knows me, knows I can throw down an awesome temper tantrum. After walking away I came back and regrouped. There was a third attempt left on the platform.

I did some mental coaching and gave myself some positive affirmations. When I got up there for the third I was a little spent, but that may have helped. I took the weight with good control. Shot it up on the press call, but not all the way to the top. So I had to squeeze out the last bit. Man, I was drained. I don't think I have ever been so happy to hear a rack command.

Again, it was a really well run meet. I saw lots of old friends and a ton on new people getting bit by the pl bug. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention mine was not the heaviest raw bench of the day. Big 440 lb Pedro Mejias benched a 620. It's not often you see a 600 raw bench at a meet and this one had two. It was really cool.

By the way, a team around you makes a difference. Brian and Josh made the trip along with my liftoff guy Karsten. They were able to hold me together and give me coaching and encouragement when I could have easily thrown in the towel. It really pays to train with a great crew. Thanks guys.

Thanks to Jess for putting up with me. I think she might even be happier than I am to get this monkey off my back. Thanks to Chris Mason who has always been very good to me. Josh Bryant for the coaching. Dave Tate and the rest of the gang from team EliteFTS.

Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-15-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Awesome job Vin, 600 in 3 different weight classes is damn impressive.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Terrific persistence. What's next, 600 at 242 or 900?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    Awesome, it's been great following your progress up to this on the show. Whats next, shirted 900?

Awesome Vincent. You have busted you ass and made your self one of the best benchers of all time. Congratulations.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Terrific persistence. What's next, 600 at 242 or 900?
    I'd go for 600@242, that would make it 4 weight classes.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Amazing power. It is incredible how you generate so much speed off your chest even with heavy weights.

Thx everyone. This has been a long journey and it has left me a bit weary. I'll be 44 in a few days. Right now I'm just looking to have fun. Getting to 270-275 walking around weight and putting the shirt on sounds like fun to me right now. I honestly don't think 600 at 242 would even be possible for me. The thought never even entered my mind. Actually. kind of wish the idea wasn't even out there.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-15-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Awesome shit man, huge props for coming back and hitting it after the first miss.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

You're Being Lied To JohnnyRingo's Avatar
    Maybe the camera angle but that didn't looked locked out to me, and looked like booty off the bench on all lifts. Strong none the less, congrats.
    Last edited by JohnnyRingo; 07-15-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    Weakest person on the forum, and my bench is higher than my squat.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRingo View Post
    Maybe the camera angle but that didn't looked locked out to me, and looked like booty off the bench on all lifts. Strong none the less, congrats.
    Bar finishes where it starts. Always wished I had a more discernible lock. F'd up arms, but I make the best of it. It's my hamstrings that come off the bench. I hear that one all the time from vid. Fortunately I have a huge butt and a part always stays in contact. Happens on every bench I have ever done. Would pretty much mean every side judge since I have been lifting has missed the call.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRingo View Post
    How on earth does that not look locked out?

I watched this video about 10 times in a row and every time his arms come right back to the place they started on his 600.

Before you run down someones lift, at least take the time to look at it a few times.

99% of the time when guys take the weight out like that before the start command it's because their arms only go that straight. Vincent is one of those guys. Torn both biceps and add on decades of heavy heavy abuse on the elbows.

I haven't been competing near as long as Vincent, but I can tell you first hand, my arms have accumulated a huge amount of abuse in the time I have and you start to notice your arms just don't go as straight as they used to.

As far as the butt coming off the bench, that angle does not provide any sort of view to tell if his butt comes off. His upper thigh comes off but that's within the rules. Mine comes off every time as well.

Just giving a different perspective I guess.

Vincent, this has been a huge journey and I'm constantly motivated by how tenaciously you stick to something until you get there. Well done bud.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

You're Being Lied To JohnnyRingo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    How on earth does that not look locked out?

I watched this video about 10 times in a row and every time his arms come right back to the place they started on his 600.

Before you run down someones lift, at least take the time to look at it a few times.

99% of the time when guys take the weight out like that before the start command it's because their arms only go that straight. Vincent is one of those guys. Torn both biceps and add on decades of heavy heavy abuse on the elbows.

I haven't been competing near as long as Vincent, but I can tell you first hand, my arms have accumulated a huge amount of abuse in the time I have and you start to notice your arms just don't go as straight as they used to.

As far as the butt coming off the bench, that angle does not provide any sort of view to tell if his butt comes off. His upper thigh comes off but that's within the rules. Mine comes off every time as well.

Just giving a different perspective I guess.

Vincent, this has been a huge journey and I'm constantly motivated by how tenaciously you stick to something until you get there. Well done bud.
    I watched the video about 10 times, before I posted and another 5 or so after. That is why I said it doesn't looked locked out to ME, because it doesn't to ME. It maybe because I'm judging more off the start out and finish position of his arms like you said idk. I'm not running down anyone's lifts.
    Weakest person on the forum, and my bench is higher than my squat.

Thx Trav. No problem guys. Everyone is allowed their opinion. I wish it was as clean cut as 545, but after all, it was 600. I just make that other $h!t look too easy

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Thx Trav. No problem guys. Everyone is allowed their opinion. I wish it was as clean cut as 545, but after all, it was 600. I just make that other $h!t look too easy
    You surely do lol! I wish I could bench 545 like that.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Congrats Vincent. I am mainly a lurker on all the forums, but have enjoyed your journey at chasing this number. Gotta feel amazing to get this one.

Also, I understood what Johnny was saying when I watched the bench and only looked at the lockout. However, once I reviewed where the bar started (like Travis mentioned), and looked at the 545 set that was crazy fast, all went to the exact same locked out point.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Hell yeah. Way to fight the wall.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

This is huge! Great work and way to stick with it!!
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951

Wannabebig Member
    Congrats to you my brothah. Way to continue to fight and prove what mental strength/ toughness can do

great work vin
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Bar finishes where it starts.
    I never knew this is how it was judged. Makes so much sense now.

Insane speed off the chest. Awesome work man, love watching you bench.
    "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

Wannabebig Member
    Congratulations. Tremendous accomplishment.

Damn, much respect man.

Awesome Vinnie!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Thanks everyone. Your supportive words are very appreciated.